PDA

View Full Version : Baby ace from the SB

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 11:02 AM
A 40/10 player limps from the button, and you complete A2o from the SB. BB is relatively unknown, but seems to be around a 35/12/1.5 or so.

How do you play this postflop?

Do you bet out on uncoordinated, or semi-coordinated flops? Do you check/fold on highly coordinated flops?

Flop 1:

Q73r. You bet, only button calls. Do you follow through on the turn?

Flop 2:

984 two tone. You bet, both call. You check/fold the turn UI? If only 1 opponent calls, you follow through, and c/c the river UI?

Any other advice about postflop play after limping with this hand?

ArturiusX
11-24-2005, 11:05 AM
I dont know if i like this complete at all.

11-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I check fold if I dont hit anything and I complete any ace with a 1/2 blind structure but not with 1/3.

wheelz
11-24-2005, 11:08 AM
well first i'd raise preflop.

flop 1 i wouldn't follow through on the turn unless i had reason to believe it was worth it, he's got to have something to call on a flop that dry. on flop 2 i'm out ASAP.

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
I normally fold this too, but TStoneMBD told me to complete, as it was likely that button would have raised if he had an ace, and I am probably in the lead.

I just don't really know how to continue once I am in the hand.

dcarlc
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Fold preflop. Your ace hits and if you win the pot you win 1 or 2 BB's maybe. When you lose the hand which is more often your going to lose in the 2-4 BB's range.

TStoneMBD
11-24-2005, 11:54 AM
i wouldnt complete preflop if i was going to bet on out on 984tone boards. i dont recommend that you steal as many pots as you have been doing. at 5/10 it just doesnt work and youre costing yourself money. this hand definitely has value preflop however and is a good complete from the SB. some would argue a raise and i like raising better than folding, but i like completing best. play your hand for pair value, dont just bet at flops because you can.

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt complete preflop if i was going to bet on out on 984tone boards. i dont recommend that you steal as many pots as you have been doing. at 5/10 it just doesnt work and youre costing yourself money. this hand definitely has value preflop however and is a good complete from the SB. some would argue a raise and i like raising better than folding, but i like completing best. play your hand for pair value, dont just bet at flops because you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. So basically we are only continuing if the board is extremely dry, or we hit a pair?

TStoneMBD
11-24-2005, 12:03 PM
well id probably bet alot of boards when i flop a wheel draw or the board is paired, but your hand also has value in those times you get to showdown without paying bets to do so.

i think its ok to steal flops against players that you know will fold when they miss the board, but you need a read. most people who are 40/10 and limping on the button are going to call this flop bet with any 2 as if it doesnt matter what cards they have.

Monty Cantsin
11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I like TStone's approach as outlined in this thread, this corresponds pretty closely to how I play crappy Aces in the SB.

/mc

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Do you guys complete baby offsuit aces if you have any loose/bad limper from anywhere? Or does it have to be on the Button or CO?

tallstack
11-24-2005, 02:35 PM
I would complete here most every time. I would also consider raising PF if I knew the button was weak tight. I can't see how folding from the sb makes sense when the button's open-limp basically says "I do not have an ace". I think that you have the only ace much more than 50% of the time.

I am not sure why you need to lead out when you miss these flops. The pot is small and you are OOP against 2 opponents. The pots that you win when your ace hits on the flop should make up for the cost of completing, so I think that you are fine just playing this hand in a fit-or-fold manner.

I think that the play becomes more interesting if you raise PF, but how I would play from there would depend on the BB calling and a read on the button.

Dave

climber
11-24-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check fold if I dont hit anything and I complete any ace with a 1/2 blind structure but not with 1/3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I def prefer fold or raise. At 3/6 jsut fold and move on with your life. If you want to raise hopefully you have a read that the BB isn't going to call you and you are at 5/10 or higher.