PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Comparison: MTTs vs. SNGs

PartySNGer
11-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Let me preface by saying I've been playing poker for about 18 months. I've played SNGs from 5+1s to Step 5s and MTTs from 5+1 to 600+40. From October-December of last year I won 11k, 5k, and 4.5k playing MTTs, but since then I have not cashed for over 1k in an event. Meanwhile, I moved back to $55s when Party started allowing 10 tables and have played 825 SNGs with a 17.53% ROI. I haven't played near as many as I like and I often get sidetracked entering 50+5 up to 150+12 MTTs. Am I wasting my time hoping for another big MTT win? Right now I'm making about $105/hour playing SNGs. Has anyone documented long term MTT results and compared hourly rate over the long term? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I should just devote my energies 100% to SNGs or if it's possible for a solid MTT player to average $100/hour playing mid to high level buyin tournies.

HesseJam
11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
I do not think it is possible to determine a long term rate for MTTs, at least for those 500+ player MTTs. You would need a couple of thousand MTTs (10K?) to get anywhere near your true ROI. How long would it take to play those? Wouldn't your's and the average poker player's skill change over that time span?

You are doing pretty good at the 55s. I would be looking into moving up.

I also get sidetracked by MTTs. But I see them as a treat from grinding it out at the STTs. I have no expectation in them. They are just fun. I'm still up on them anyways.

applejuicekid
11-24-2005, 08:06 AM
I play a lot of both. It is hard to play a lot of MTTs and I bet you need a gigantic number to have any relative stats. I think it is very hard to compare the two. Some players may be better in one than the other. I switch back and forth between the two to mix it up. Some weeks I'll play just MTTs others STTs. Variance is definitely greater in MTTs as you can go along time without a big cash. However, I think your disappointing results may be because you aren't playing that many MTTs. I think it is definitely possible for a solid player to make over $100/hr. My results for the two have been similar in terms of $/hr but I highly doubt my MTT sample size is anywhere close to being big enough to say for sure.

PartySNGer
11-24-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are doing pretty good at the 55s. I would be looking into moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved up for a very short period and played 178 $109s with a ROI of 8.75%, but then I had to pay some bills which dented my BR and forced me to move back. That's the thing about $109s though, there is no way they are twice are hard as $55s, so you should try and move up as soon as you can handle it.

11-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I often think this about MTTs, been playing 3+ $10-$30 buyins a day whilst I write an essay for uni. I've had a couple of 4 figure cashes ages ago which really helped my bankroll at the time butnow I wonder long term whether its worth crossing my fingers and hoping for abig cash.

I'd never play MTTS above my bankroll but the time I spend on them seems to harm me the most. I like to concentrate on my table especially when I know I'm not being moved for a while and even with a couple of SNGs going it obviously harms my hourly rate. In these last few weeks I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time with MTTs and I think come December I'll move back to SNGs primarily. MTTs are definitely a nice break though.

lacky
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
If you could multi table mtt's as easily as sng's I think the earn would be higher, but with much, much higher varience. Truth is though 8 tabling sng's is fairly easy, and 6 tabling mtt's is MUCH harder, just because the structures are different, different sites, different software, etc. But, yes, long term, if you can deal with the frustration of almost always being disapointed with the results (after all, only 1st feels good) there is alot of money to be made in mtt's.

During those mtt's youve played did you see people making horible, clueless plays, just basically giving you their chips? Thats all the proof you really need that there is money to be made there, same as every other form of poker.

If you are wanting any kind of stability of income (applying it to poker of any kind is actually crappy misuse of the word stability) avoid playing mtt's full time. if you do 80% of you time in ring games or sng's, 20% in mtt's you'll be much happier IMHO.

PartySNGer
11-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Yah, I'm thinking of going on a schedule where I play 4-5 weeks solid of SNGs, then a week devoted only to MTTs. I've often wondered how some 2+2ers can just grind out a few thousand SNGs month after month.

Uppercut
11-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Lately, I have been mixing up my one-table SnGs with three-table SnGs. I know these aren't really MTTs, but they are a nice change of pace with a much higher potential payoff.

11-24-2005, 01:50 PM
I recommend the 20-table events at PS.