PDA

View Full Version : Driver problems

Ghazban
11-24-2005, 07:36 AM
I've been getting a blue screen "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error on my computer (running XP home edition) and I can't figure out exactly what's wrong. I searched around the 'net and got the impression that this means one or some of my drivers are out of date. Is there any free and easy way to check your whole system's drivers and update them all at once? I've found a couple pay sites that will do this but I'd rather not pay if there's a free way to do it. Thanks in advance.

11-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Microsoft.com would have been anice place to start at.

try this url XP Downloads (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/default.mspx)

other then that a fresh install works wonders on your PC.

Chief911
11-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Unplug all peripherals except for keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Then see if it boots up.

Nick

Ghazban
11-24-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unplug all peripherals except for keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Then see if it boots up.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow you. It boots up fine. I'm not even sure what's triggering the error. I normally leave my computer running 24/7 even if I'm not around. When I return home, I often find myself looking at the BSOD with that error on it. I had this problem several months ago, too, but I can't recall what I did to fix it.

I have my computer set to automatically download and run windows updates but, just to be sure, I ran it manually as well and there was nothing new to download. I ran the free system scan from www.drivershq.com (http://www.drivershq.com) and it told me a ton of my drivers were out of date. However, you can't d/l updated drivers through them without registering so I haven't done that. I did look around for a couple of the drivers it told me were out of date but was unable to find anything other than the versions I'm already running.

vanHelsing
11-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Ghazban, I had the same problem some weeks ago and in my case it was the videocard (nvidia) driver.
I installed the current one and it worked like a charme since then.
Not sure if this helps, but you might start with this one.

Ghazban
11-24-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ghazban, I had the same problem some weeks ago and in my case it was the videocard (nvidia) driver.
I installed the current one and it worked like a charme since then.
Not sure if this helps, but you might start with this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try that. I also have an nVidia card