PDA

View Full Version : Mod list?

Mat Sklansky
11-24-2005, 04:22 AM
1) We will begin with no moderators in the bad beat and suggestion forum.

2)Do we have consensus for mods in hush mid-high, and mid stakes limit?

Surfbullet
11-24-2005, 04:24 AM
MHUSH:

Me
Josh.
Schneids

They are both interested but I haven't contacted them yet about it and I'll do so now if it's going through...I want to have a brief discussion with each about mod responsibilities so we are all on the same page, but I didn't want to jump the gun.

I don't rememeber the mid-high ones...I think it was Entity/Bobbyi/Evan? not sure. edit: just looked in teh other thread, yeah these 3 were it, unless osmething has changed. Also, JeffW would be a great 4th mod for mid-stakes and we could contact him about it at a later date if traffic in that forum warranted it.

Surf

Mat Sklansky
11-24-2005, 04:28 AM
contact them

Surfbullet
11-24-2005, 05:14 AM
I sent Schnieds a PM and Josh an email (his PM quota was exceeded).

Surf

Ed Miller
11-24-2005, 02:32 PM
FWIW, The Stock Market forum doesn't yet have a mod. Someone suggested that it should have one, and Sniper, a seemingly level-headed, quality poster stepped up. Any objections?

Evan
11-24-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, The Stock Market forum doesn't yet have a mod. Someone suggested that it should have one, and Sniper, a seemingly level-headed, quality poster stepped up. Any objections?

[/ QUOTE ]
I only read that forum very rarely, but imo DesertCat is the only one that knows wtf he's talking about in there. I either haven't read many of Sniper's posts or I just haven't remembered they were his. I have no real objection to Sniper, and you seem to spend more time in there than me, so you probably have a better idea of things. If you think he's okay than I doubt anyone will object. Before we do anything, I would at least ask DesertCat if he wants to do it, unless you would object to him for some reason.

Evan
11-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Schneids and Josh have both told me personally that they'd like to be mods.

Surfbullet
11-24-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Schneids and Josh have both told me personally that they'd like to be mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've contacted both of them and they both want the position. We're going to go over our policies for moderating MHUSH so the 3 of us are on the same page - and at this point it looks like we're good to go.

Surf

bobbyi
11-25-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that sounds good.

The other mod-less forums are software and books/publications. Can I take books/publications as well as mid-stakes? I read that forum a lot and it will be good to have someone to delete blatant spam. Or is it by design that there is no mod there because the authors like Mason are already handling that forum?

Mat Sklansky
11-25-2005, 03:03 PM
please ask them and any other moderator who should be put up to pm me. For my confirmation , I usually ask for this to be done.

Surfbullet
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I've contacted them both (via AIM and Email) to tell them to do so. I talked with Mike(schnieds) already about moderator responsibilities and i'm confident he'll do a good job. I haven't talked with Josh yet because he hasn't been online, but I emailed him about it.

Surf

Ed Miller
11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I only read that forum very rarely, but imo DesertCat is the only one that knows wtf he's talking about in there. I either haven't read many of Sniper's posts or I just haven't remembered they were his. I have no real objection to Sniper, and you seem to spend more time in there than me, so you probably have a better idea of things. If you think he's okay than I doubt anyone will object. Before we do anything, I would at least ask DesertCat if he wants to do it, unless you would object to him for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desert Cat is clearly the best poster. buffett is also good. Sniper is a day-trader, and he tends to be very vague about how he (allegedly) makes money. Having said that, he also know some stuff.

And, beyond that, Sniper seems to be intelligent and mature in general. To me, whether he actually makes money in the stock market is less important than whether he will be a mature mod.

Evan
11-25-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Desert Cat is clearly the best poster. buffett is also good. Sniper is a day-trader, and he tends to be very vague about how he (allegedly) makes money. Having said that, he also know some stuff.

And, beyond that, Sniper seems to be intelligent and mature in general. To me, whether he actually makes money in the stock market is less important than whether he will be a mature mod.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I tend to think that bein a good poster is more important for being a mod than most around here. I think the other posters in the forum are way more likely to respect the mod and keep the forum high content if the mod is a better poster. I read some of Sniper's posts yesterday and I wasn't terribly impressed; like I said before though, you probably have a better idea than me. I'd have no problem with Sniper fwiw.

Greg J
11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
On a slightly different note, I was thinking that a financial advice forum would be a good idea, seperate from the SM forum. This could incorporate discussion of savings accounts, bonds, tax questions, and other investments. Ed, this seems to be yr thing lately -- what do you think?

Ed Miller
11-26-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a slightly different note, I was thinking that a financial advice forum would be a good idea, seperate from the SM forum. This could incorporate discussion of savings accounts, bonds, tax questions, and other investments. Ed, this seems to be yr thing lately -- what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I guess. Seems to me we should let the new forums settle in before we make more new ones. Don't want to spread out volume so much that forums get no traffic. Especially b/c SM doesn't get that much traffic as it is. Maybe make it the SM + Financial Advice forum.

timprov
11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be less important for what it would pick up from SM than for what could be moved out of General and the Zoo.

Evan
11-26-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I guess. Seems to me we should let the new forums settle in before we make more new ones. Don't want to spread out volume so much that forums get no traffic. Especially b/c SM doesn't get that much traffic as it is. Maybe make it the SM + Financial Advice forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with Ed. I don't think making a forum to take away traffic from an already low volume forum is a good idea.

Greg J
11-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with Ed. I don't think making a forum to take away traffic from an already low volume forum is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think yr right. On the other hand, widening the scope of the SM forum might work out well.

Mat Sklansky
11-27-2005, 03:44 PM
I like the idea of widening the scope of the Stock Market Forum. Any ideas for a new forum name and description?

Evan
11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea of widening the scope of the Stock Market Forum. Any ideas for a new forum name and description?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Finance" seems like it would work well.

Mat Sklansky
11-27-2005, 06:47 PM
any objections?

astroglide
11-27-2005, 06:51 PM
i think adding careers to it could give it focus. might bring a lot of college questions/enthusiasm to the mix, and a problem with 'niche' forums like the stock market one is that they falteer due to a lack of membership. i'm sure plenty of people would like to talk about their economic aspirations in a general sense if it didn't look like something where only people who are financial planners go to chat.

so maybe something like 'money, investments, and careers'?

Surfbullet
11-27-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good.

Surf

durron597
11-27-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this too.

Entity
11-28-2005, 02:18 AM
When we decide that the bad beats forum needs a mod, can it please be Sponger?

nolanfan34
11-28-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When we decide that the bad beats forum needs a mod, can it please be Sponger?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought of him as a mod scares me, but he is having his way with that forum so far, that's for sure.

Ed Miller
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I like the idea of broadening, I think we should keep "Stock Market" in the name for continuity. While it's a low volume forum, the discussion is high quality and I don't want it to get diluted too badly.

Perhaps "Stock Market and Investing" or "Stock Market, Investing, and Taxes" forum. I dunno.

EDIT: How about "Stock Market, Investing, and Financial Goals" or even "Stock Market, Investing, and Careers"

astroglide
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
not sure i understand the continuity emphasis since the existing posters would know right away that the forum was renamed.

i think 'stock market' is encompassed by 'investments' (as well as real estate and all sorts of other items), and i like the welcoming gesture of a broad term like 'money'. if it sounds too technical or pointed, i think it could ward off potential posters. your suggestions sound too formal to me, but i do like the addition of taxes to the mix.

nolanfan34
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i do like the addition of taxes to the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for sure. That's something that would be a nice addition to the forum, since those questions pop up all over the place, with no one location to send people to.

B Dids
12-02-2005, 11:03 PM
One of the things that got missed here were some of the changes we talked about making to the existing forums. Is that something we want to explore at this time?

Mike Haven
12-03-2005, 06:12 AM
SMET: Stock Market, Employment and Taxes?

Paluka
12-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree there are tons of questions on taxes, but I dont' think they should be in the Stock Market forum at all. That forum has very little poker content, and if you make it about taxes you will have tons of people in there just asking about how they pay/avoid taxes on their poker winnings. I just don't think taxes has a place in that forum unless it is a tax issue involving investments.

MrWookie47
12-03-2005, 04:05 PM
One forum in this board is going to be bombarded by tax questions. That forum is either the zoo, or the stock market. Personally, I like putting it in Stock Market to free up the zoo.

Mike Haven
12-03-2005, 04:21 PM
I agree.

There are numerous posts about tax in the Zoo, and they quickly get lost amongst all the other interesting topics that are broached.

If they were posted instead in SMET it wouldn't take the SMET Moderator long to gather up a good tax sticky with appropriate links, which would reduce the tax post traffic both quickly and substantially, imo.

stabn
12-03-2005, 09:20 PM
That (a good sticky) can be done in the zoo. There aren't any good posts in the zoo anyway so please keep them out of the stock forum.

Greg J
12-04-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One forum in this board is going to be bombarded by tax questions. That forum is either the zoo, or the stock market. Personally, I like putting it in Stock Market to free up the zoo.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was my initial logic behind making an entirely new forum seperate from SM regarding other financial matters. However, as much as I would hate to drive away (or piss off) SM regulars, but I think expanding SM is probably the best thing to do.

I do think the this new combined forum could avoid being bombarded with the same tired tax questions if there was a sticky explaining protocol for such questions combined with good moderation (and locking threads liberally). Hopefully this would keep some regulars around and make for a good and informative forum. I really think such a forum is needed on 2p2. Badly.

Mike Haven
12-06-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That (a good sticky) can be done in the zoo. There aren't any good posts in the zoo anyway so please keep them out of the stock forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although we in the UK don't have to pay tax on poker winnings, I can see that it should be a most important topic to every single winning US poker player, internet or bricks & mortar, in these forums, and to suggest on the one hand that the Zoo,(Internet Gambling Forum), is the place for tax queries, suggestions and recommendations, and then on the other hand to state that there aren't any good posts in the Zoo doesn't make any sense at all.

"Good posters", like yourself, probably don't even visit the Zoo for the light amusement it provides its regulars, so a Tax Sticky in the Zoo is bordering on pointless.

There has been much discussion in this forum as to how readers should be able to look at the title of a forum and know what they can expect to see in that forum.

SMET will be an exact and obvious description.

However, if Mat changes the Zoo's title to "Internet Gambling and Tax", then of course my argument founders, and a Tax Sticky there shall be.

Greg J
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There aren't any good posts in the zoo anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey! I'm a zoo regular and totally resemble that remark! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mike Haven
12-07-2005, 12:49 AM
A reasonable majority (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4117516&page=1&fpart=1&v c=1&nt=2) of Zoo posters prefer SMET to IGT.

stabn
12-07-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A reasonable majority (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4117516&page=1&fpart=1&v c=1&nt=2) of Zoo posters prefer SMET to IGT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tax queries, etc., should be posted in:
Users may choose only one (112 total votes)
SMET
49 44%

Zoo
41 37%

Somewhere else
22 20%

Your data is inconclusive. Also, you should prob check with the stock market forums first before dumping it in their forum.

edit:

calling the results after 49 minutes was pretty iffy as well.

Mike Haven
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I kept an eye on it all day, and it ran at an almost exactly constant 45% SMET.

[ QUOTE ]
you should prob check with the stock market forums first before dumping it in their forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my posts, I'm giving my opinions and recommendations; as so are you. I don't and I am not going to dump anything in any forum.

[ QUOTE ]
calling the results after 49 minutes was pretty iffy as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "49 minutes" must relate to different time displays for the UK and the US. I waited long over 12 hours before giving the link here, but, as the 45% had remained so constant, and as 100 people had voted, I thought it was worth drawing your attention to additional information during this discussion period for everyone's consideration.

[ QUOTE ]
Your data is inconclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, please let me make my own position perfectly clear on this, in case I have caused any confusion, (as seems to be my wont).

I have no axe to grind. There are often Tax posts in the Zoo. There always have been. There probably always will be. They are of no personal interest to me, but I am totally happy to leave them where they are at this time, as there is no other agreed forum for their placement.

However, I do feel that another forum is the place for them to be collated. (Or, rather, I don't really think the Internet Gambling Forum is the sensible place for Tax posts). They should be either in a new Tax Forum, (which seems like a bit of overkill to me), or in another nominated extended forum, such as SMET, (if that comes to be), imo.

Please let me know the moderators' final decision on this topic, and I will act accordingly.

Jim Kuhn
12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I agree with Mike. Taxes do not logically belong in the Zoo any more than they belong in B&M, High stakes, stock market or OOT forums. Taxes would probably be more of an OOT but as a serious subject I don't think they belong there. The posts would scroll off the front page in a few hours. I would think they would be a best fit for some type of finanaces forum. It does not matter to me if they are kept in the Zoo.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif