PDA

View Full Version : World Series More Powerful than World Poker Tour?

thepuppet
11-24-2005, 03:13 AM
The World Series of Poker gets more entrants even though most have no chance to win. Obviously the talent is far superior in the WPT because of the Donk factor in the WSOP. Just how much better are the players in the WPT than the WSOP? If the WPT had just as many players as the WSOP, would the talent go down as well? My vote goes to the WPT as the players are usually more solid and less likely to be flukes like we so often see in the WSOP.

SoftcoreRevolt
11-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Have you actually watched the WPT? There are a lot of donks at WPT final tables.

There are as many pros playing the WPT as there are the WSOP. The WSOP just has 4,000 extra donks and 100 Two Plus Twoers playing on top of it.

And the proportion of donks to pros playing in the WPT is pretty high.

11-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Most pros consider the WPT Championship the true world championship event. With a starting chip stack of 50,000, it encourages more skillfull play.

DarthIgnurnt
11-24-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With a starting chip stack of 50,000, it encourages more skillfull play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit A: Tuan Le

henrikrh
11-24-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most pros consider the WPT Championship the true world championship event. With a starting chip stack of 50,000, it encourages more skillfull play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link please? I wanna see this survey of "most pros". Do you know them all personally as well?

Beavis68
11-24-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fee relief now that you pulled this out of your ass?

TomHimself
11-24-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link please? I wanna see this survey of "most pros". Do you know them all personally as well?

[/ QUOTE ]i think most would say it has the best structure, atleast until the WPT comes in for the final table

A_C_Slater
11-24-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i think most would say it has the best structure, atleast until the WPT comes in for the final table

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was watching this last night for the first time and I noticed at the start everyone had deep stacks compared to the blinds and then by the time it got 4 handed it was a pushfest. Do they change the blind increase time from 90 minutes or do they just have big jumps via doubling blinds?

MicroBob
11-24-2005, 11:58 PM
they possibly speed up the limits so that they aren't filming all night.

but the show is edited. how fast the blinds rise in the show has no relation to how fast the blinds were rising in the actual tournament.

you didn't get to see a LOT of hands.

i played in a WPT event and the WSOP main-event.
there were donks-a-plenty at each.
The WPT event I played at (the PPM cruise) didn't have nearly as many 'big-name' pros.
But I found the play at each event to be pretty bad in spots.

I think the play in most other WPT events would also qualify.
To say that the quality of play is significantly better in WPT events is incorrect. It can be equally bad anywhere.

11-25-2005, 12:12 AM
They raise the blinds every 30 minutes at the final table. They don't want the crowd to get bored so they turn a 5 day tournament worth millions into a party poker sit and go.

Kevmath
11-25-2005, 12:18 AM
It's not a possibility, it's a certainty they speed up the limits at the final table. The blinds go up every 60 minutes, 30 minutes when it gets to heads-up. Here's the blind structures from the World Poker Finals:

15k/30k/3k
25k/50k/5k
40k/80k/10k

Here's the structure from the Legends of Poker in August:
15k/30k/3k
25k/50k/5k
40k/80k/10k
60k/120k/15k
100k/200k/20k
150k/300k/30k

11-26-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The World Series of Poker gets more entrants even though most have no chance to win. Obviously the talent is far superior in the WPT because of the Donk factor in the WSOP. Just how much better are the players in the WPT than the WSOP? If the WPT had just as many players as the WSOP, would the talent go down as well? My vote goes to the WPT as the players are usually more solid and less likely to be flukes like we so often see in the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you use the same thought process while playing poker? If so, you are welcome at my table every day.