PDA

View Full Version : Playing marginal hands midgame with medium stack

11-24-2005, 01:53 AM
This is a situation that arises fairly frequently that I want to discuss. Let's say you're playing a low buy in SNG (22 or lower), with a t1500 starting stack structure. Seven people remain, and everyone is hovering around 2K. You have somewhere in the 8-10 BB range. It's folded to you in MP, and you have a hand like AJo,77, KQo etc. How do you normally play in these situations? Pushing with AJo with 10BB is something I hate doing, because I'm almost always beat when called, and the reward for a succesful push isn't all that great. Making a standard 3X the big blind raise also doesn't sit well with me, as I'll probably have to call any pushes for pot odds reasons. Also getting called and then missing on the flop presents a difficult situation, where I'll be forced to either give up (after committing over 1/3 of my stack) or bluffing off the rest of my chips. On the other hand, folding these hands in mid-late position seems weak. Whenever I fold these hands, I feel like I'm missing good steal opportunities, and accumulating chips during the midgame is probably the weakest part of my game.

I was just wondering how everyone else typically plays in these situations. I know I should be posting specific hands, but I was wondering if there's some general answer that's applicable to most situations like this. As of right now my default play is to fold them, and I'm thinking it might be a leak.

tigerite
11-24-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing with AJo with 10BB is something I hate doing, because I'm almost always beat when called, and the reward for a succesful push isn't all that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to wipe this from your system. Pushing with AJo with 8-10BB is almost always right first-in, except for rare bubble situations versus a calling station who has you covered with a micro stack out of the hand etc.

AJo is very different from KQo by the way, by like, a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
As of right now my default play is to fold them, and I'm thinking it might be a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, a pretty huge leak, barring KQo, a fold there is ok with 8-10BB usually, but from a later position, a push just about becomes correct again.