PDA

View Full Version : Agression level check for this hand - how did I do?

tallstack
11-24-2005, 12:34 AM
SB seemed pretty laggy and appeared aggressive on some earlier flops. I had only played about 10 or 15 hands with him, though. UTG seemed tight and passive.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

On the flop I chose to call the 3-bet with the intention of raising any safe turn. I figured that I didn't want to see any A, K, 9 or spade, so my hand would be better defined on the turn. I am wondering about my play on the turn and river. My read is that the SB is laggy, but how far do you go on these streets?

Thanks,

Dave

ArturiusX
11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Just call the turn.

kahntrutahn
11-24-2005, 12:41 AM
I like it, I couldn't find the fold button here

jt1
11-24-2005, 12:55 AM
I'd call the turn and raise a non-scary on the river.

tallstack
11-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Interesting. Do you call a river 3-bet, given this river card?

jt1
11-24-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Do you call a river 3-bet, given this river card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking me if I'd fold a straight for one more bet closing the action on the river? can you say crying call...

tallstack
11-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. Do you think that I am behind on the turn too often here? I thought that the chance I was drawing dead was quite a bit less than the chance that he had a pair, 2 pair, or a strong draw when he bet the turn.

Dave

tallstack
11-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks, with my weak read that he was laggy I couldn't see any way to fold this one. I considered raising the river, but considering the previous action, I didn't want to get 3-bet three streets in a row.

I am still surprised that many are against my turn raise. I am generally on the passive side compared to most posters here, so I am surprised that I am on the aggressive side on the turn here.

Dave

tallstack
11-24-2005, 02:11 PM
SB showed Q8 with no spade and MHIG. This hand confirmed his LAGGY status for me. I felt at the time that there was a good chance I was ahead still on the river, but that I didn't think I would get called on my raise nearly enough compared to how often I would get 3-bet for the third street in a row.

I was concerned that I played the hand too passively, but the responses say otherwise. I am particularly interested that many did not like the turn raise. I am thinking that this is hugely read dependent, but the presense of all those draws on the board still makes me think that the raise has a lot of merit.

When I posted, I expected to get some people saying that I should have put in more bets, but the generel thoughts are that I should have put in less. I will have to post a few more situations.

Thanks to all who responded.

Dave

TheMetetron
11-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I either cap the turn or raise the river. It's up to you, but you need another bet here especially if he's LAG.

Edit: I take it back. Cap the turn. I like that much better.

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I think you should call the turn. If he had raised preflop, it would be a different story, but considering he limped the SB, and is laggy, he almost never has two pair or trips. Given that, he might play his hand with a Q, or with two spades. I think there are more combos of spades he could have, and Qs might not even play like that. On top of all this, your turn raise may drive out a Q who would have otherwise bet the river.

tallstack
11-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. This is one of the things I considered at the time. If we cap the turn then do we call if he leads into us river, and bet if he checks with the intention of calling a check raise?

Dave

tallstack
11-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. You bring up some good points about discounting a lot of hands that he would have chosen to raise PF with. I had a feeling that he was overplaying a draw or a pair+draw. The 2 pair hands need to be discounted and the trips hands basically don't exist against this guy. Given that both the flush and straight draws were out there, and the straight draw would hit most every high card, I thought that I still wanted to ensure that more than 1 bet went in on every street (at least until the fourth straight or flush card hit.

I agree that my turn raise might drive out some weaker hands (in the end he had the pair + weak draw hand). Had I known that he was very LAGGY at the time then I would have put in even more bets, but I can see that more opponents could be chased away here. I still can't see that we are WA that often on the turn, though. I am thinking that most hands that I am leading have many outs against me, and that I would rather have them call with the correct amount of outs than get a cheap river.

Dave

Spicymoose
11-24-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I either cap the turn or raise the river. It's up to you, but you need another bet here especially if he's LAG.

Edit: I take it back. Cap the turn. I like that much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Explain please. I don't see him having 2-pair or trips, and I think it is decently likely that he has a flush, even if he is a LAG. A lot of hands we beat fold to our initial turn raise. Please explain your cap to me...

I assume if we cap we also have to call a river bet?