PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to Harry Potter, somone help

Landon_McFly
11-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I've never read one page out of a Harry Potter book, or even been interested at all. I recently saw the trailer to the newest movie, and it looks worth watching, but I haven't seen the other ones.

I haven't seen any of the other movies, so I could just rent them all, but are the books better? If they are, I'll just download the audiobooks and listen to them while I play the game that I can't mention.

asofel
11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
if we only had an OOTer who might be able to help you out...

Punker
11-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't try to listen to them while playing poker at the same time. They might be kids books but they are a bit dense and can't really be "skimmed" if you want to really get it.

The books and the movies are both well done; whichever one you do first, you'll probably think the other one is not as good.

Dynasty
11-23-2005, 09:36 PM
On a scale of 1-10, the books are at least a 9.5. The movies are no better than a 6.5.

I think it's even more telling that that the further along you go in the books/movies, the more the book is better than the movie. The most recent Goblet of Fire film was so lacking that I might just wait for the fifth film to come to cable before seeing it.

I've heard very good things about the Harry Potter audio books. Apparently, the reader is excellent with different voices.

11-23-2005, 09:42 PM
The audiobooks are very good. The reader does a fantastic job. Also, by listening to (or reading) the books, you will be able to appreciate many more of the nuances which make them great, but are hard to pick up on or nonexistent in the movie versions.

Alobar
11-23-2005, 11:29 PM
skip the movies, read the books

OtisTheMarsupial
11-23-2005, 11:55 PM
What the hell is stopping you from going to see the movie? You don't need to "catch up" - I'm sure you can grasp the idea. Jesus [censored] Christ, go to the [censored] movie and forget the books and audiobooks and movies.

Unless you're eleven. Then read the books.

Slappz
11-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Watching the movie without reading the book is actually a better idea than reading the books before u watch the movie. You will only be annoyed and dissapointed if u read the books first.

Landon_McFly
11-24-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Watching the movie without reading the book is actually a better idea than reading the books before u watch the movie. You will only be annoyed and dissapointed if u read the books first.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the answer I was looking for.

TY

Blarg
11-24-2005, 04:01 AM
This is almost always the way it goes.

ChipWrecked
11-24-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me years to stop hating 'The Shining' as a movie. Now, I can enjoy it for the awesome movie it is.

Dynasty
11-24-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me years to stop hating 'The Shining' as a movie. Now, I can enjoy it for the awesome movie it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen this?

Shining (http://www.ps260.com/molly/SHINING%20FINAL.mov)

diebitter
11-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Dr Seuss are also good on eithe audio or reading, while you're in the kids section /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipWrecked
11-24-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen this?

Shining (http://www.ps260.com/molly/SHINING%20FINAL.mov)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Brilliant!

Thought it was gonna be this. (http://www.angryalien.com/0504/shiningbunnies.html)

edtost
11-24-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's even more telling that that the further along you go in the books/movies, the more the book is better than the movie. The most recent Goblet of Fire film was so lacking that I might just wait for the fifth film to come to cable before seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]