PDA

View Full Version : (11$) Thoughts on the play of a bottom pair with a flush draw

Gavagai
11-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Hello. This post questions my play of a drawing hand. Hopefully it is interesting to someone. Apologies in advance if not. I hope it all makes sense.

$11 STT on Stars. Blinds are 50/100.

UTG: 4575
CO: 565
BUTTON: 1575
SB: 4505
BB (Hero): 2280

I have 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the big blind, UTG and SB both call and I check. The flop gives me bottom pair and a flush draw:

6 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pot size = 300)

SB checks and I bet 150.
UTG raises to 400, SB folds.

I now have to call 250 into an 850 pot to see the turn, giving me 3.4:1
I think that all 14 of my outs are good (two-pair is very unlikely, and I don’t see any reason to think he has a set. I’m quite unsure of the likelihood that he has a bigger flush draw, but I will assume that it is not very likely) There is a 2.36:1 chance one will hit, so I call. The turn doesn’t improve my hand:

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pot size = 1100)

I bet 250, UTG calls. The river doesn’t help either:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pot size = 1600)

We both check and UTG wins with a pair of tens.

After the flop, I invested 650 to see the river card, 28.5% of my stack (30.5% of my stack after posting my blind), leaving me with 1480. The hand was rather costly.

My question is, was it reasonable for me to bet as I did? On the flop I actually put in 400 to win 700, which is 1.75:1, worse than my odds of hitting, and the pot escalated so that I would be getting the correct odds to call a bigger bet on the turn. However, I did think that I had good folding equity – the SB checked, and this seemed like a flop that a limper would often fold on. But if they are likely to fold to my bet, then I am likely to see my draw for free, and the hand could even be checked down and I could win with a pair of 3s. Furthermore, If UTG will attempt a steal when checked to, he will probably bet around 150 anyway. If he or the SB have a hand, then my bet could very well end up just costing me extra chips.

I’m thinking that my betting the turn was bad also, as although I got terrific odds on my 250, if UTG was likely to bet an amount that I couldn’t call on the turn if I had checked, presumably he would be quite likely to raise my bet so that I couldn’t call it.
He might even be presuaded to go all in by my bet as it looks like I am drawing, for (I think) a weak bet like this is often an attempt to discourage big bets from others when one is on a draw. Also, he might have raised to more than he would have bet had I checked, but still an amount such that I would have to call and so costing me more. He might also have checked, given that I called his raise on the flop, if his hand is not so strong – indeed, it might be that many of the times he just calls my 250 bet are when he would have just checked had I done so. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gavagai

tigerite
11-23-2005, 06:36 PM
3-bet the flop. For definite. Probably even push after the raise.