PDA

View Full Version : Turn decision: Overpair vs Unkown preflop aggressor

11-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm new to the table and so villain is unknown to me. Is folding here too weak against an unknown? He's showing alot of strength by leading the turn after I cap.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Edit: I know alot of you are going to say 3 bet preflop. I'm working on my TT aggression but I'm still too passive with it Preflop. So other than 3 bet preflop what's the turn decision?

MrWookie47
11-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Ugh. Three-bet preflop if you like money.

Stealthy
11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Don't ignore the pre-flop 3 bet. Apart from a +EV move with TT it also makes this hand so much easier to play.

As it is played I would not CAP that flop. Once 3 bet either drop it there and then or call it down.

Arcturus
11-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, re-raise PF depending on the player. If he caps you, then you can be pretty sure he has something good.

I personally would not cap the flop, but if I did, I wouldn't just fold on the turn, especially when that card showed. Your cap on the flop says that you think you still have the best hand. How does the 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif make it worse?

11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif make it worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting bet into on the turn after our flop cap makes it worse. At this point, the pot is too big to fold. We want to get it to showdown, and see if he plays overcards like this.

11-23-2005, 06:50 PM
On the button, yes, 3-bet preflop - the hand plays a bit differently if villain caps there (i.e., a turn fold is a little more clear). Cold-calling hurts you more than it ever helps you.

You've got two pair with an overpair, only behind a premium PP (with no read, we're gonna assume villain wouldn't raise 99 UTG). After you capped the flop, villain obviously still loves his hand, although he may not be thinking about what you might have.

I would probably call this down after the flop 3-bet, although that might be a little passive. Pot's big and the read will be valuable.

11-23-2005, 08:59 PM
In the actual hand I did call down and I felt so dirty doing it. Glad to know it wasn't totally off the wall.