PDA

View Full Version : low level SNG: fear "over the top" move

11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
i have read all kinds of no-limit stuff and played quite a few SNG's (i said 60 the other day) but i'm thinking it's closer to 200-300 (anyhow enough to make observations and to have experienced frustration).

i see that most of the top authors advocate not raising too much with a good hand as you are giving your opponents an option. i.e. if they have great hand, they come over the top, if they don't, they fold. so it's a really bad move.

and i have no doubt that's true with good players. but at the average low level SNG, it strikes me tons of these players (sometimes me unfortunately) have no idea they are beaten or getting horrible odds... so i'm thinking against mediocre players, it can often be as good just to get your money in because A) you have limited time in SNG before blinds start pressuring you; B) lots of these players will call with second pair or pair aces low kicker....

does this make sense??? .... i just often think these top authors have no idea how mediocre (not completely terrible) the players we play against are. and that they just love to call.... i have another thread up about how it's hard to figure out your opponents in the short time of an SNG (and i think most top authors would concur).

pineapple888
11-23-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have read all kinds of no-limit stuff and played quite a few SNG's (i said 60 the other day) but i'm thinking it's closer to 200-300 (anyhow enough to make observations and to have experienced frustration).

i see that most of the top authors advocate not raising too much with a good hand as you are giving your opponents an option. i.e. if they have great hand, they come over the top, if they don't, they fold. so it's a really bad move.

and i have no doubt that's true with good players. but at the average low level SNG, it strikes me tons of these players (sometimes me unfortunately) have no idea they are beaten or getting horrible odds... so i'm thinking against mediocre players, it can often be as good just to get your money in because A) you have limited time in SNG before blinds start pressuring you; B) lots of these players will call with second pair or pair aces low kicker....

does this make sense??? .... i just often think these top authors have no idea how mediocre (not completely terrible) the players we play against are. and that they just love to call.... i have another thread up about how it's hard to figure out your opponents in the short time of an SNG (and i think most top authors would concur).

[/ QUOTE ]

What's going on this morning? Is everyone drunk?

If you have a question somewhere in there, please rephrase it succintly and briefly. Thank you.

Postiga
11-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Absolutely. Poker books aren't written with $10 SnGs in mind. It's been a while since I played that low, but I remember that if I ever pushed with Aces I got called. Raise if you want to get called, because you will be.