PDA

View Full Version : CD Review- Bun B- Trill

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Bun B, one member of UGK (Underground Kings), justv recently put out a solo CD. It is a solo CD for various reasons, contractual issues, the other member of UGK (Pimp C) is currently in jail. Anyways, it is about [censored] time. For those of you who slept on UGK or the South in general until Lil John showed up, UGK are legends down south. They have dirty flows and nice southern-fried gangsta beats.

Anyhow, onto the CD. This is a pretty solid CD from start to finish. There is a fair share of guests, but only a few of them standout. Its mostly Bun B being a P.I.M.P. Notable guests include Jay-Z, Scarface, and a few of Bun B's Old School Houston homies. Also, the Snowman Young Jeezy appears a few times as well. I wish he would just stick to doing his "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" instead of rapping.

A few stand out tracks, for me at least, "Draped Up" which is an anthem, dope hook, I think it is a Fat Pat sample. "The Story", which for those of you who know nothing of UGK is a must listen. Five and a half minutes of Bun B rapping UGK's story, filled with highs and lows, pain and joy. There is no hook, but this song doesn't need one. In fact, it would probably ruin it. "I'm a G" is also a dope song, basically Bun B and TI doing their thing, being g's, yadadadada. I am not much of a TI fan, but still cool song.

I really enjoyed this CD, in fact 4 out 5 sounds about right. This is most certainly a southern rap CD, which means most of the backpackers on here won't like it. But, if you dig the southern sound, or just like cats that are legit, and veterans of the rap game, you will love this CD.

David04
11-23-2005, 12:18 PM
A friend told me to listen to this album. This kid usually listens to [censored] music, so I thought there was no way this was a decent album, in an any aspect.

But he made me listen to it in the car one time, and I was shocked to find out it was pretty good. So yeah, I would recommend it.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Why would you be shocked to find out something from UGK was good?

11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
because, take it from someone in texas, 99% of southern rap is pure and utter crap. Devoid of lyrics, or any thought.

That having been said, this album is ridiculous, and Chamillionaire's new album is about 3.5x better.

Nice review though

The Yugoslavian
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
*nod*

Although there is more guesting on the album than you allude to.

Except for his retarded name...Bun B pwns pretty hard.

Yugoslav

Eurotrash
11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
it's just that jiggaman, Pimp C, and B-u-n B

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because, take it from someone in texas, 99% of southern rap is pure and utter crap. Devoid of lyrics, or any thought.

That having been said, this album is ridiculous, and Chamillionaire's new album is about 3.5x better.

Nice review though

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree in regards to Southern rap. Most of the stuff that has been coming out of the South lately (Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Lil John, Ying Yang) sucks ass, but there is some seriously slept on classics from the South. Old School Goodie Mob, 8Ball and MJG, Scarface, plenty of stuff. Its too bad these guys didn't get enough press and play time as the current guys are.

But yeah CD is nice, I am gonna check out that Chamiilionaire though, i liked the stuff he did with Paul Wall a while back.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*nod*

Although there is more guesting on the album than you allude to.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah there is probably a guest on what, 80% of the songs. I can look past it though because all I was really listening to was Bun.

JaBlue
11-23-2005, 03:58 PM
I will check it out. I agree that its about time Bun B did something solo. Sometimes Pimp C's voice is annoying on UGK cuts.

11-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Bun-B is dope, cant wait for UGK to reunite once Pimp C gets out of jail.

David04
11-23-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you be shocked to find out something from UGK was good?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was shocked to find out that anything my friend listens to is decent music.

The Yugoslavian
11-23-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Most of the stuff that has been coming out of the South lately (Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Lil John, <font color="red">Ying Yang</font>) sucks ass,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?!

Where is Lucas9000 when he's needed, /images/graemlins/frown.gif. He should unretire damnit!

Yugoslav

siccjay
11-23-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nice review though

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that most of the new Southern rap is garbage, but this CD is pretty tight. It has a few trash tracks and a few Mike Jones features but other than that it is very solid. Chamillionaire's CD is better, 3.5x is a little steep though.

Clear your mind and give it another spin, I think you will feel differently. Skip track 1.

siccjay
11-23-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But yeah CD is nice, I am gonna check out that Chamiilionaire though, i liked the stuff he did with Paul Wall a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get Ya Mind Correct is one of the top 5 rap cds ever.

http://images.windowsmedia.com/img/prov_i/300_80/f614433c-4704-4c00-8a71-7b5e22aea201_701433002523_800.jpg

Jack of Arcades
11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
You don't like Paul Wall? I like him in his goofiness. Chamillionaire is [censored] awesome.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Paul Wall is ok, nothing special, sort of a goofy guy anyways.

That Paul Wall and Chamillionaire CD is ok as well. I like Chamillionaires style though, so looks like I will have to find his new CD.

-Skeme-
11-23-2005, 05:36 PM
PAHHH WAHHH

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
he's got the internet going nuts

MCS
11-23-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who slept on UGK

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like pretty much everyone. Except Jay-Z, who tried to tell people but nobody listened.

That happens to southern rappers, because most of them suck.

Thanks for the review; I'll check it out.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's like pretty much everyone. Except Jay-Z, who tried to tell people but nobody listened.

[/ QUOTE ] people slept hard, even after that. Dudes have been around forever.

siccjay
11-23-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who slept on UGK

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like pretty much everyone. Except Jay-Z, who tried to tell people but nobody listened..

[/ QUOTE ]

To say everyone slept on UGK is kinda silly. The mainstream maybe, but they have sold a lot of records. Pretty much anyone who listens to rap (other than just radio crap) is a UGK fan.

solid
11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
this cd is dope. pushin' has a tight beat and if it weren't for jeezy, it might be my favorite song of the year.

there are a lot of guests, but i think jeezy might be the only one who stands out as subpar. jay and face absolutely kill their verses. even that trey songz song is tight.

siccjay
11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Jeezy is not very good and he crushes Mike Jones. How could you forget that asshat is on the CD?

11-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike Jones will singlehandedly push the cause of "southern rap" back 20 years.

Yeah, I miss the best freestyle album ever.

Ace Ventura, cham. and lil flip, just ridiculous.

-Skeme-
11-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Lil Flip is such a bad freestyler.

Landon_McFly
11-23-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were your CD player I would catch myself on fire

What are the other 4 top cds of all time?

JaBlue
11-24-2005, 12:11 AM
I just got this courtesy of my russian friends at allofmp3.com and I have to say that after the first listen, it is unremarkable. UGK better.

edit: I like the track with Pimp C and Z-ro (who has good solo stuff except for the overproduced mainstream album he put out )

ThaSaltCracka
11-24-2005, 03:12 AM
listen a few more times.

siccjay
11-24-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were your CD player I would catch myself on fire

What are the other 4 top cds of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a faggot like you I would stay out of this thread but since you asked I'll throw together 4 albums quickly. Seriously, if this isn't your style of music then why the [censored] throw your 2 cents in? I wouldn't chime in a backpacker or rock music thread and tell them to burn their vinyl or 8 tracks.

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Outkast - Southernplayalisticcadillacmusik
K-Rino - Fear No Evil

This is just quickly off the top of my head, it can change at any given moment.

siccjay
11-24-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got this courtesy of my russian friends at allofmp3.com and I have to say that after the first listen, it is unremarkable. UGK better.

edit: I like the track with Pimp C and Z-ro (who has good solo stuff except for the overproduced mainstream album he put out )

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Z-Ro album do you mean? The newest one? It's still great. There isn't a bad Z-Ro album out there.