PDA

View Full Version : low limit internet poker?

KaptainKangoroo
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi. I play on Ultimate Bet, and i play the .25/.50 tables currently, usually the .50/1 tables except i've been having a rough streak. I'm normally a pretty solid player. I noticed that on UB, many of the players hit thier 2-3 card outs constantly, and gets very agrivating, leading to a degrade in my playing. I was thinking of switching to a new site, but was worried other places would be like UB, if not worse. What are some good sites for low limit?

ZManODS
07-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Thats exactly the problem with low-limit. When you have an average of 6 or more people seeing the flop then you will see some pretty crazy hands. Also low-limit anywhere you will have people calling you down to the river with a 2 or 3 outer. It's not UB, its low-limit.

KaptainKangoroo
07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
hmmmm, your probably true... There isn't a better site though for low limit?

jek187
07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
By "better" if you mean looser, then go to www.partypoker.com. (http://www.partypoker.com.) If by "better" you mean tighter, then go to www.pokerstars.com. (http://www.pokerstars.com.)

onlinechamp
07-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

jek187
07-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Learn how to respond to the correct post. It's not that complicated. Also, get off your lazy ass and do a search of Homer's posts. He has stated many times what limits he plays.

onlinechamp
07-01-2003, 09:55 PM
I am responding I sent kang a pm ok.

KaptainKangoroo
07-01-2003, 09:55 PM
no, he sent me PM's

onlinechamp
07-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Kang any ?s just feel free to email me I have someone answering my emails 24-7 here at my office!

yocalif
07-02-2003, 03:00 AM
I play daily at UB and another site.
You are in the wrong game, if you have only a very small bankroll, or you only want to invest a very small amount to see how you do, change games.

The best game for a small bankroll on UB is, the .10-.25 No Limit TH game. Provided you know how to play TH. If you are new to playing then play the .01-.02 No-limit and spend time reading a book or two to learn the game.

Here is the game plan I used, I started with only $8 given to my by UB for a "high hand jackpot" on the play tables.

Played in this order:
.01-02 NLTH buy-in is max $2, in 10 days my Bankroll was over $200. I also won money in the $1 and $3 tourneys during this period.

Next moved up to the .10-.25 NLTH game. 5-7 days later my bankroll was over $500.

My main game at this stage was .10-.25 NLTH, but I also would play some 1-2 LTH and a bit of 2-4. But keep in mind the standard for my Bankroll and a game was 300 x Big Bet, so 2-4 was beyond my Bankroll. I also moved up in the tourneys to the $5 and $10 buy-ins

When my bankroll reached $600, I switched games to mainly the 1-2 Limit Holdem, the .25-50 NLTH, and a bit more 2-4 LTH.
The 1-2 was pretty easy game at this time, due to excessive number of poor players. The No-Limit game also had plenty of weak players, but there was also more good players, so I chose the pool with higher numbers of weaky players.
When the BR reached $800 I also was playing a lot more 2-4, until 2-4 was all I played, plus my Bankroll was now growing at a faster rate.

I did have setbacks..

Bankroll at 1200, I moved into the 3-6 game, and started to scope out the 5-10. I would also dabble in the NL .50-1.00 and the 1-2NLTH game.

My current games are 3-6 and 5-10. It has been about 2.5 months, and I have moved money out of UB to a couple of other sites, and now am focusing on building the BR at those sites.

My goal is to have enough bankroll at 3 very large sites to play 3-6 or 5-10, and some no-limit

Recommendations:
Don't compound losing sessions. Quit for the day! This requires a very realistic appraisal of your skills and the abilities to dig out a losing session. It seems to me online losing sessions are harder to dig out than BM in a single session. Can't explain it, but just seems that way.

Don't be afraid to drop down to next lower limit. I can especially remember a few days taking a beating on the .10-.25 NLTH, so I dropped back to the .01-.02 NLTH game and played there mainly for encouragement, because I could easily beat the game. Now If I drop $150 I'm back to the 2-4 until I win it back then continue at the 3-6.

Don't make a withdrawal from your bankroll, until you are playing the games you want to be in. I use 300 x big bet as my guideline, but actually my bankroll is much larger because I also keep money at Firepay to move between sites. UB has been so consistent for me, that I protect the BR at UB more than the other sites. I recently went broke at one site, but I wasn't following the guidelines I do on UB.

Keep studying the game, by reading books, and reading these forums.
Seek out advice from those who really know what they are doing. This is very hard online, I have a couple friends who are pros that play mostly BM but also online. I try to talk to them, and ask their opinions. This forum is excellent but you have to find the gems of info amoungst the 80% bs.

Good luck, UB is a fine place to play I highly recommend it. As some are now telling you Party can be extremely rewarding too.

Ted Geisel
07-02-2003, 10:43 AM
.... and someone writing posts 24 hours a day, too. Kin of yours, perhaps ? Indentured servant ? Fishey ?

Sarge85
07-02-2003, 11:20 AM
This seems like a great "road map" to getting into decent games. I've been doing a ton of free rolls at various sites, which have been all no limit hold'em. I've been gunshy about playing for "real money" and those tournaments were better than just playing for funny money at the free play tables. I've gotten rather consistent at finishing in the top 20 (out of 200-400 participants). I don't know if i'm starting to delude myself into thinking that is good or not, but regardless i've decided to play for real money.

My initial plan was to play the .25-.50 tables, but knew I'd be suffering many of the bad beats listed by the orginal poster. I was also concerned that my no limit style, wouldn't mesh with micro-limit games.

To me, your plan makes sense, espcially since the buy in max is only 2.00 and no one can immediately come in and start bullying the pots. (although after time i'm sure that 2.00 buy-in could get rather large).

I thought I was going to have to stick to just tournaments, as that is what i was having some medicore sucess at, but I thought (and believe this to be true) that the more consistent money arein the ring games. My goal is to get into 5-10 games, where hopefully the players aren't all river rats. Maybe even 5-10 has it's share of river rats.

Has anyone else tried this approach into building a bank roll?

Prickly Pete
07-02-2003, 11:31 AM
I wonder if OC is taking applications. I need a summer internship and since Kramerica Enterprises couldn't give me a position, this seems to be the place to be.

BigSlick
07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
How long a day do you play? I play at UB all the time at the 0.01/0.02 NL and I'm trying what you did. I am fairing well at it. I try and play at the 0.25/0.5 Limit table and I get creamed. Move back to the NL penny and I do great! Oh well. I'll have to be patient