PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys play pocket tens?

11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
I've been getting them quite a bit lately and usually put in a 4-5x raise, unless a few people have already called, then I just call.

My conundrum comes on the flop when it shows a couple of overcards. Should I be throwing out a continuation bet in these situations, or just checking?

Cheers.

Hattifnatt
11-23-2005, 11:14 AM
I always raise preflop in a unraised pot preflop, 4bb+1bb/limper. 6-max. If someone has raised I flat call most of the time.

If you didnt raise preflop and the flop contains 2 overcards, just give it up.

If you had raised preflop I think you should cont. bet most of the time against 1 opponent, maybe 2, not 3.

4_2_it
11-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Depends on table conditions and my position. CO or button, I raise every time and call any raise. I will open raise from anywhere with them. At a loose table I would probably limp them UTG or UTG+1 and play for set value.

If I raised pre-flop, I will fire off a CB (80% of the time)because you have to play TT like AA or AK if you want to get paid. It is an easy hand to fold to aggression. TT is a good starting hand that plays wells HU, but gets killed in multiway pots when you don't spike a T on the flop.

beavens
11-23-2005, 11:32 AM
agreed - in an unraised pot i'll be raising from anywhere with TT, and i'll usually flat call if raised ahead of me.

if i'm the pf raiser, then i will fire a continuation bet regardless of the flop, because i know i can get away the hand if anyone comes back at me.

Hattifnatt
11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if i'm the pf raiser, then i will fire a continuation bet regardless of the flop, because i know i can get away the hand if anyone comes back at me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even against two opponents with 2 overs out there?

jhall23
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Some usefull stuff has already been said. In regards to the CB after having raised pre-flop: along with the # of opponents, the flop texture should help you determine whether to fire a bet or not.

If the board is draw heavy you will have less chance to pick up the pot cause there are more hands they can have that will call. If it's like Axx rainbow you should have a better chance to pick up the pot rep'ing a strong A. If it is heads up I almost always CB even if it is draw heavy, but add 1 or more opponents and it has less chance to work.

So in general with few opponents on flop with overs but not tons of draws you can fire out a CB and will most likely take it down.

After getting reads you can use that to help add another piece of info on whether to CB or not.

Morrek
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I raise and CB unless I feel very uncomfortable (OOP against 3 aggressive opponents for example)

TT is /images/graemlins/heart.gif

beavens
11-23-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well.. depends on my opponents and my position of course.

Hattifnatt
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that but generally? I check in that spot maybe 80-90% of the time.

Leptyne
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always raise preflop in a unraised pot preflop, 4bb+1bb/limper. 6-max. If someone has raised I flat call most of the time.

If you didnt raise preflop and the flop contains 2 overcards, just give it up.

If you had raised preflop I think you should cont. bet most of the time against 1 opponent, maybe 2, not 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty well nails it. Very situation dependent. Pre-flop you have represented a big hand. Could be Big Pair, AKs, etc. Noone knows you only have TT. Under the right conditions it's worth taking a shot at the pot. If I bet the flop and get called, esp. if a player c/c, then I'm thru. OOP I'll probable check and fold with dignity.

Folding is a weapon. Don't be afraid to use it.

4_2_it
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your table image. If you have been showing down the goods and your PFR get respect, this is the ideal place to launch a strong CB (especially if you have position and can get a free card. If you are OOP against two calling stations then a check is in order.

subzero
[ QUOTE ]
My conundrum comes on the flop when it shows a couple of overcards. Should I be throwing out a continuation bet in these situations, or just checking?

[/ QUOTE ]
NL50, full-ring (9-handed)
If you raise preflop, then the overcards will be just as scary to your opponent if he misses (which is often the case). Against 1 opponent, I make a 2/3 pot cbet most of the time (especially if he's weak). Against 2 opponents, I still tend to cbet. More than that, it depends on the table. I don't mind checking behind multiple opponents (there's more of a chance that someone hit one of those overcards). But if they check to me again on the turn, I'll bet 2/3 pot and expect to take it down (unless there are a bunch of calling stations).

beavens
11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that but generally? I check in that spot maybe 80-90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

in position if someone minbets or checks i will definitely bet at the pot.

if i get raised, im out.

if i get called, i reasses on the turn.