PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Question

11-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi all, first post so be gentle please! Not sure if this is the right place but I play 3/6 so thought I'd start here.

Basically, what are Donk and Stop and Go Bets and more to the point why and where are they of value?

Hope someone can clear this up for me!

Cheers

11-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Look here! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2942520&an=&page=7&vc=1)

~

11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Legend - thanks.

winky51
11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I think a Donk bet is someone who bets into a pot with nothing or just a draw at a bad time trying to semibluff. Like into 5 players on the turn after it has been bet and raised on the flop. I think.

Stop and go is a betting style that goes like this.

EP Player A bets, CO Player B raises, EP Player A calls. Turn card comes Player A bets.

This does several things. If Player B has a draw and was trying for the free card you just made him pay again.

If player B has a monster is makes you lose less than reraise the flop and bet only to get raised again.

If player A has a monster and Player B raises the turn now Player I can 3 bet him increasing profit.

This is also use to make marginal hands call down when they would not if you 3 bet them on the flop. The other player has to be decent understanding of poker and this concept but paranoid enough to go defensive with their weak hand to just call down. But if you 3 bet them on the flop then bet the turn they might fold.

Like you have AK and the flop is K 9 2 rainbow. You bet, he raises, You suspect he has a middle pair and is testing the water. If you 3 bet he might call that then fold the turn. So you call and bet the turn outright. He might then think you have a middle pair also and decide to call down instead. Since there are only 2 outs to beat you there is a tiny chance he outdraws. Now he pays 2 big bets to see the hand through rather than 1 small bet and fold the turn.

This play has to be used strategically and variating to be effective. If you only stop and go when you think you are behind players will pick up on this. I use it vs very aggressive players that if they sense weakness from you they raise the turn. Now I 3 bet them. They already have 2 bets in the pot just like they would if they call down except they now have to pay more for to see the river.

I used it last night vs someone with trips and I got the opponent to bluff twice in the same hand against me. He was a LAG.

Online playing ABC poker vs fish is standard. They have no memory and dont pay attention to fancy plays. But as time has progressed there are more and more better players at 3/6. You need to mix it up because they are taking notes on you and reading betting patterns.

winky51
11-23-2005, 12:06 PM
ok I was wrong about donk betting. Now I know and knowing is half of taking their damn money away. Aggression is the other half.