PDA

View Full Version : A common OOP turn decision/problem

ipp147
11-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi,

A situation keeps occuring that I struggle with.

It's symptoms and then an example.

I flop the temporary nut straight. Bet pot and get a call. The turn no longer gives me the nut straight.

What do you consider before your turn move?

The opponent in this hand seemed too loose preflop and passive but not overly loose postflop (this is also typical)

The hand - $400 PL Full Ring (7 handed)

3 folds and villain ($300) open limps in CO.
Button folds and SB ($150) raises to $16. I call 12 in the BB with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Is this a very debatable call by the way?). Villain calls.

Flop ($48) - 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Check. I pot. Villian calls. SB fold.

Turn ($140) - 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Villain has $240 behind.

and I.....

additionally

What do you do if your stacks are deeper?

What do you do if the board is rainbow?

BluffTHIS!
11-23-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and I.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Check with the intention of folding to a bet if the stacks are not such that you can yourself or the other player allin. Even then you usuallly are going to lose. Hands gone bad in bad position suck and must be released. And yes the call with that hand preflop was too loose because it has too many gaps to be a quality straight hand, again especially since you are out of position. I would however call with it in position if I were up against a preflop raiser whom I knew from past experience would go bust with aces no matter how ugly the board.

bholdr
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I am hesitant to make a full pot bet OOP with a non-wrap straight without any redraws- the hand described is, imo, really weak after a flop like that- it's just too easy to get into a dominated situation, up against a villan with the same straight... but with a wrap, flush draw, and so on... really, what's he gonna call a pot bet on the flop with that you're happy to play against?

i am actually tempted to check-fold the flop in this situation, lacking good info or reads on yer opponent- definitly C/F on the turn.

and the PF call was a little loose, especially given the raiser's smallish stack.

jj_frap
11-26-2005, 02:51 AM
I certainly wouldn't want to see a flop from that far out of position with a hand like that.

Filip
11-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Wow, check folding the flop....... check folding the turn.......
are we playing the same game?

I have no problems with the preflop call.

and I..... bet 1/3 of the pot, so he gets incorrect odds drawing to his flush. Fold if he raises.

Obviously me and the two other posters have a very different approach to PLO and i am not saying their nutpeddling strategy isnt a winning one because i am sure it is. I dont play 8 tables, i play 2 and try to play the players.

Unabridged
11-26-2005, 04:49 PM
i'm assuming you cover villian
i'd bet 1/2 pot, and fold to a raise
there no reason to check and let the flush or set draw for free, or allow him to bluff you off. in this spot i think you can count on JT raising you, unless he's holding the flush draw also. so if he calls i think you are safe to make a value bet on a nonflush,nonpair river