PDA

View Full Version : speeding after racing games/movies, etc...

whiskeytown
11-23-2005, 07:50 AM
I am now a more dangerous driver then when I was drinking and driving. (no, this isn't about Weed - I've never smoked and driven)

I've spent the last several weeks without booze and playing Forza Motorsports on the 55" HDTV, which is a lot like being in the car with a rear view mirror even. This is THE premier Xbox racing game - exacting in it's realism and it's cars. (that's how I learned TT drove one of the ultimate pimpmobiles - unless you take a Honda CRX and pimp it out itself, it's almost unbeatable.)

Tonight I run to the CD store and immediately I take a right turn WAY too fast. I am having to REALLY watch myself to keep under the speed limit, and I had to make DAMN sure I didn't run a stoplight on the mile run to the CD store.

The only thing I can compare it to is the way idiots drive after watching a movie like Days of Thunder, but being in the driver's seat as well...

I think when I quit this game I'm gonna buy a faster car. /images/graemlins/grin.gif - Maybe I'll get my own Audi TT.

Is this just another self-delusional experience or has anyone else had a period of adjustment after certain forms of Racing...either in games, movies, or live track - I don't know...

RB

chuddo
11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
every time after visiting a go-kart track with friends, if i drive a car immediately after, i drive terribly.

fast go-karts are sweet.

whiskeytown
11-23-2005, 08:06 AM
I have a coworker who is trying to get his little daughter into that - I think he wants her to be the next Danica Patrick. He's gonna buy her one of those racing go-carts, get a trailer, and haul around to those events when she gets older.

Hey - whatever they both like - better then telling her that her only fulfillment in life is to get married, get knocked up, and stay barefoot in the kitchen like some religious kook.

RB

youtalkfunny
11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
I've been spending a lot of time on PS2's NASCAR game.

I don't find myself speeding, but tailgating has been a problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
11-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I know how you feel. Every time I see a zombie movie, I want to eat corpses.

Seriously, your story is funny but it does sound a little nutty. Remember crashing in real life is a hell of a lot worse than doing it in a video game.

I've really liked a driving game or two in my time, also. Driving fast is just damn fun, and the games can really hype you up and keep you on edge. But guys too often bring the worst things to the road -- aggression and arrogance and a sense of something almost like entitlement. The vid game sounds like it might not be helping you out.

whiskeytown
11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
luckily there's only so much damage I can do in a Ford Ranger, esp. in winter -

That'll help a lot - I always slow WAY down and get paranoid when winter starts dumping snow on the road.

RB

westside_eh
11-23-2005, 08:29 AM
I hope you dont play first person shooters.

I love racing games. But I dont find it difficult to seperate myself from the game and real life driving. I usually drive fast anyway, but running a red light or taking a corner at 60mph is definatly an ingame experience only.

daryn
11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
i acted the same way when i was addicted to the new grand theft auto game a few months back or whenever it was that it came out.

crunchy1
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
December 24, 2004 - I get stopped doing 93mph (in a 65mph) on the interstate after spending the afternoon playing PGR2. The TVR Rocks!!!

Merry F#$^#ing Christmas!!

whiskeytown
11-23-2005, 11:30 AM
this is a [censored] story and you know it.

Everyone knows WI state troopers don't pull over WI residents - even for 90 mph - but if you're 3 mph over the speed limit with MN plates you're boned.

My friend from Athens, GA got a tkt. and I told him "bro, you do NOT wanna have out of state plates when speeding thru WI" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

rusellmj
11-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I love racing, racing games and motorsports in general. I've definitely put my truck into more than one four tire drift.

crunchy1
11-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Once you crack the > 25 mph over the speed limit - they don't really care what state your from.

Interesting side note to the story:

My job at the time required that not only do I hold a valid drivers license but also, that my DMV record is free of major infractions (which to them was speeding violations in excess of 20 mph over the limit, major accidents, OWI, etc..). Given the excessive speed of my ticket - I was in danger of losing my current position at my job. So, I went to court and pleaded not guilty to get into a conference with the DA.

He offered to reduce my ticket from $250 to $150 and also list the ticket as only 24 mph over the speed limit; thus allowing me to keep my license - which would've been suspended otherwise. I explained my job situation and pleaded with him for awhile and eventually he caved in to lowering my ticket to only 19 mph over. However - they jacked the ticket fine up to $400!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Talk about a bribe. I wanted to keep my position so I agreed to pay the fine and went on my way.

In the end - my [censored] boss ended up transferring me from my position anyways because he felt that I couldn't be trusted!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

...and a Happy New F#$^ing Year!!!

Rduke55
11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I've caught myself driving a little erratically after GTA.

11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
meh, i drive pretty crazy anyways. hwy gets about 115-120. street is where i have to look out and not be so overly zelous 60-80 mph in a 35-45mph zone. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

11-23-2005, 01:46 PM
The music playing while I drive has more of an effect than games/movies, but maybe I just need a 55" HDTV. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bulldog
11-23-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i acted the same way when i was addicted to the new grand theft auto game a few months back or whenever it was that it came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this same experience with Vice City and San Andreas. After a three-hour session, I get in my real car and am ready to go around traffic on the sidewalk.

Freakin
11-23-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been spending a lot of time on PS2's NASCAR game.

I don't find myself speeding, but tailgating has been a problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bump and pass

I had some serious problems after playing GTA3 for like 8 hours one day... it was raining and I went to get on a freeway onramp. I had a RWD car and the back started to spin out. I gunned it and fishtailed back and forth a few times before I realize "WTF?!?! THIS IS REAL LIFE!!!" and let off the gas...

jba
11-23-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play this game a lot, and afterwords I would get an overwhelming urge to steal every motorcycle I happened upon.

also any non-car vehicle, ie forklifts, earth movers, etc

Blarg
11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you crack the > 25 mph over the speed limit - they don't really care what state your from.

Interesting side note to the story:

My job at the time required that not only do I hold a valid drivers license but also, that my DMV record is free of major infractions (which to them was speeding violations in excess of 20 mph over the limit, major accidents, OWI, etc..). Given the excessive speed of my ticket - I was in danger of losing my current position at my job. So, I went to court and pleaded not guilty to get into a conference with the DA.

He offered to reduce my ticket from $250 to $150 and also list the ticket as only 24 mph over the speed limit; thus allowing me to keep my license - which would've been suspended otherwise. I explained my job situation and pleaded with him for awhile and eventually he caved in to lowering my ticket to only 19 mph over. However - they jacked the ticket fine up to $400!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Talk about a bribe. I wanted to keep my position so I agreed to pay the fine and went on my way.

In the end - my [censored] boss ended up transferring me from my position anyways because he felt that I couldn't be trusted!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

...and a Happy New F#$^ing Year!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, sorry to laugh at your misery, but that was a great story. Looks like your boss was right!

And that D.A. clearly knew he had you by the balls and twisted for all he was worth. Damn, you must have been pissed. But relieved as hell, too.

I had no idea you could bargain what the "facts" of a case are like that. Shows how naive I am.

Blarg
11-23-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The music playing while I drive has more of an effect than games/movies, but maybe I just need a 55" HDTV. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed here. The right CD playing can just turn me into a pure adrenalin-powered tunnel-visioned road psycho. And I'm actually a super-safe driver and like to stay that way. So I don't indulge myself in really blasting my favorite intense songs too often; the temptation to become a freeway superhero can be pretty strong.

Blarg
11-23-2005, 11:22 PM
This is reminding me of that sketch on Dave's show.

TeeJayORTj
11-23-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would see someone crossing the street and just want to run them over. Or would look at a police car and think that it would be sweet to steal it.

I love that game.

Lazymeatball
11-24-2005, 01:48 AM
I like to play alot of the GTA series and Gran Turismo 4. It's a good thing I drive a 10 year old Subaru. (Although I will admit I do try to purposefully activate the 4WD in winter time whenever possible.)

I'm gonna have to watch out when I get my WRX in a few years.

Yobz
11-24-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think when I quit this game I'm gonna buy a faster car. /images/graemlins/grin.gif - Maybe I'll get my own Audi TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if anyone commented on this yet, but the TT is NOT a fast car. If you want a pretty car, get it...if you want a fast car, look elsewhere.

diebitter
11-24-2005, 05:03 AM
It's faster than...er...

okay, I need to think about that...

whiskeytown
11-24-2005, 06:04 AM
probably faster then a 99 ford ranger...

I'm full of [censored] - I'm not buying a fast car - I need the pickup to haul amplifiers to gigs.

RB

BCPVP
11-24-2005, 06:16 AM
Woah, another person from Whitewater? Off or on campus?

Haven't had too many problems seperating myself from racing games, but I have done some stupid things with my car, like a speed test in the middle of nowhere. I'm kinda happy I know my car can do 130, though in case I need to get away really, really fast. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did get a ticket for 15 over (80 in a 65) once. "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir" didn't work and I wound up with a $200 fine even though I'd never even been pulled over before! Heartless highway patrol... /images/graemlins/mad.gif