PDA

View Full Version : Is there a new system where the BB re-raises with 64?

Rickfish
07-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Twice recently I have been first to act in the SB and been beaten up by the BB with 64.

The first time we both had plenty of chips and I raised with AJ when he re-raised I put him on a re-steal or a worse ace or underpair so I re-raised all-in. He turned over 64 and hit a 4 to win.

Then today same situation (different person I think) but we both had less chips. I know that if he plays back he will have to go all-in and I will have to call. He should know that too. I had K8 which I figured would be winning more often than not so I made the raise, he duly went all in and I called. He turned over 64s and won with two pairs 6s and 4s.

So what is going on? Has a new book told people that they should re-raise a SB raise with 64? It is not so silly because if they do get called they will probably have 2 live cards. E.g. first example when I have AJ he is much better off with 64 than AT. But I'm old-fashioned - I would rather re-raise with cards that are likely to be winning, like AQ. Most of the time I would never try this BB re-steal especially on Pokerstars but I have done it in a live tournament when I was pretty sure of my man (he folded).

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Last night on 'Stars in the $20 + 2 NLHE, I picked up QQ in the BB somewhere in the first orbit (blinds 10/20). I forget how it worket out. There were 2 limpers, C/O raised to about 120, I made it 450, folded to the C/O who comes back to make it 900. I think a minute and am convinced it's a steal and put him all-in. He turns over 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif - ????????

It gets scary when 2 spades flop, but I double up. Very strange.

whiskeytown
07-01-2003, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing they saw that last WPT tourney and figured..."Hey, if Alan can do it" - so can I

In fact, come to think of it, I think he DID reraise with 64 offsuit once or twice....LOL

so there's your answers....morons watching TV instead of learning how to play poker - but fear not...those fishes are the reason my BR is doing so much better lately

RB

Al_Capone_Junior
07-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Whether the cards are live or not, if 64 does not flop a pair, AJ wins. Even if 64 does flop a pair, AJ is likely to flop a better one. It's just plain stupidity, no matter how you slice it. Welcome these reraises when you have the AJ and they have the 64. The thing about no limit is that MANY people WAY overplay their hands. I regularly see no limit ring games where the AVERAGE pot is MORE than the maximum buy-in! Ridiculous, but very lucrative. I almost always do very well in those games. In tourneys, it's a bit more frustrating because you can't rebuy when they beat you tho, but it's still quite lucrative.

al

Cazz
07-02-2003, 04:30 AM
I saw one similar to your second hand.
Blinds 50/100, UTG has ~1200 and raises to 300.
Folded to the button who raises all-in to 600 w/ 79s ??
It almost doesn't matter what hand UTG has. With 1050 in the
pot and 300 to call, UTG is going to call. The button has
forced an all-in call and he has a 9 high. Brilliant.
My only problem w/ some of these guys is they
bust out before I can tag a decent note onto them.
Cazz

Rickfish
07-02-2003, 05:44 AM
Funny you should say that - I think I failed to tag a note both times because I left the tournament reeling. I will have to remember to stay around long enough to note my bad beats in future.

JayKon
07-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Notes in the PokerStars software are in a flat file on your harddrive and may be edited.

Look in:

C:\Program Files\PokerStars\Notes.txt

Jay