PDA

View Full Version : Please Show the Numbers

11-23-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm home for Thanksgiving, so I'm watching the WSOP after missing just about all of it, and I'm finding it to be really frustrating to watch without any numbers. It's pretty unreasonable to show NL poker without bet amounts and stack sizes.

Maybe if 2+2 starts a petition or something?

whiskeytown
11-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Then they'd be accused of ripping off the WPT though.

RB

11-23-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then they'd be accused of ripping off the WPT though.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.

benkahuna
11-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Not my concern. I want my damn numbers.

They already ripped off the WPT by having hole card cams. Numbers are far less revolutionary.

el_grande
11-23-2005, 02:53 AM
How about those holdem or foldem ads? That must really drive you nuts.

"The board is A J 5, John Doe bets 2,000, you have A9, do you hold'em... or fold'em?"

webmonarch
11-23-2005, 03:04 AM
I completely agree. I need to see the blinds at all times to really understand the plays. Consider this my signing of the petition. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DarthIgnurnt
11-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Here are some numbers:

Average number of viewers for 2005 WSOP: 1.5MM

2+2 Max users online was 1271 @ 10/10/05 03:55 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, it's a mistake to try to project the needs of the hardcore lunatic fringe onto the average ESPN viewer.

You can be sure that ESPN tests a lot of concepts regarding how they present these shows. In fact, because the ratings are down 20% this year, 2006 will tend more towards the viewing patterns of joe and jane six-pack than towards joe 2+2.

Publos Nemesis
11-23-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, because the ratings are down 20% this year, 2006 will tend more towards the viewing patterns of joe and jane six-pack than towards joe 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. Maybe if they got rid of the commentators and actually showed better stories than the sappy tale of a guy who went to the WSOP after his wife had a benign tumor removed (if you are going to tell stories than aim for darker side of poker like how Gus Hansen was rumoured to be staying away from Vegas due to debts). Anyways, ratings also might be down b/c no one gives a [censored] when there are 5,000+ players in the tournament and it takes three days to play day one.

benkahuna
11-23-2005, 03:48 AM
A small minority that's very vocal can make a difference.

DarthIgnurnt
11-23-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're right, because I agree the broadcasts could be improved.

I just think that 2+2ers sometimes tend to underestimate how small a minority we actually are.

benkahuna
11-23-2005, 03:59 AM
I agree.

MCS
11-23-2005, 05:36 AM
The thing is, I don't think it's just 2+2ers who care about stuff like that. Or at the very least, I don't think it would offend people if they mentioned "Blinds are at 25 and 50" once or twice. Or showed an unobtrusive graphic when they first started.

My other pet peeve: Tell us the denominations for the chip colors. It's nice to know if a giant stack of chips really means anything.

All this could be accomplished in ten seconds. And people who DO care would appreciate it a lot.

Fallen Hero
11-23-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here are some numbers:

Average number of viewers for 2005 WSOP: 1.5MM

2+2 Max users online was 1271 @ 10/10/05 03:55 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, it's a mistake to try to project the needs of the hardcore lunatic fringe onto the average ESPN viewer.

You can be sure that ESPN tests a lot of concepts regarding how they present these shows. In fact, because the ratings are down 20% this year, 2006 will tend more towards the viewing patterns of joe and jane six-pack than towards joe 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what's more important here is that they can improve their broadcast, joe 2+2 will be happy and joe and jane six-pack won't care about the extra numbers on screen

11-24-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I don't think it's just 2+2ers who care about stuff like that. Or at the very least, I don't think it would offend people if they mentioned "Blinds are at 25 and 50" once or twice. Or showed an unobtrusive graphic when they first started.

My other pet peeve: Tell us the denominations for the chip colors. It's nice to know if a giant stack of chips really means anything.

All this could be accomplished in ten seconds. And people who DO care would appreciate it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You articulated this well.

tonypaladino
11-24-2005, 05:28 AM
I'm fairly sure the reason is that hands on the featured table/outertable are shown out of order.

Jimbo
11-24-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps in a street riot but not in regards to a poker show on ESPN. At least I hope not, the show is fine as is. If I want a buch of statistics I'll sit on the pot and reread TOP.