PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash

RacersEdge
11-22-2005, 10:34 PM
This movie that is out got me thinking - what is the appeal of Johnny Cash? His backwoods dreariness was always kind of creepy to me, and his musical talent was pretty limited. Are there actually Cash fans here that could defend him?

tdarko
11-22-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His backwoods dreariness was always kind of creepy to me

[/ QUOTE ]
whats wrong with being kind of creepy? this is part of the appeal to some of the old school cowboys is their edge. he can be haunting at times, he can be soulful at times, and then there are times he is just good country & western. plus i like the way he tells stories more than anything.

InchoateHand
11-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I doubt many of us are going to try and convince a moron of anything.

JaBlue
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
He's just a great songwriter. Like Bob Dylan.

istewart
11-22-2005, 10:42 PM
But he's white JaBlue. Thus by your definition, he cannot have soul. And those without soul suck at life.

Is this a good summary of your position?

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RacersEdge
11-22-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dylan was also a bad singer, but at least some of his songs sound good when good bands got a hold of them. Can Cash say the same? (The only song I know of his is "Walk the Line" - a pretty mediocre song IMO.)

JaBlue
11-22-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But he's white JaBlue. Thus by your definition, he cannot have soul. And those without soul suck at life.

Is this a good summary of your position?

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So where's that list of 10 soulful white singers? We've just unearthed one more... what does that make, like 4? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

InchoateHand
11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
If you only know one song, then shut the [censored] up. You don't have to like him, but you just suck at life.

istewart
11-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Inchoate, I like your style.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dylan was also a bad singer, but at least some of his songs sound good when good bands got a hold of them. Can Cash say the same? (The only song I know of his is "Walk the Line" - a pretty mediocre song IMO.)

[/ QUOTE ]

you sir, are a moron.

RacersEdge
11-22-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you only know one song, then shut the [censored] up. You don't have to like him, but you just suck at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, relax kid, I wasn't trying to cut down your hero.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]his point is you are basing your opion on one [censored] song!!!!!!!!!!!! The dude made music for 50 years!!!!!!! 50!!!!!!

JaBlue
11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Another good songwriter that isn't a great singer: Woody Guthrie

miajag81
11-22-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] that dirty hippie. Cash was a real man.

RacersEdge
11-22-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]his point is you are basing your opion on one [censored] song!!!!!!!!!!!! The dude made music for 50 years!!!!!!! 50!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there a lot of backwoods "legends" that have made music for a long time - it just that most of it involves blowing across an empty moonshine jug.

miajag81
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there a lot of backwoods "legends" that have made music for a long time - it just that most of it involves blowing across an empty moonshine jug.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, just stop.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you really are a moron, stop posting in this thread right now.

RacersEdge
11-22-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, just stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, no more.

Skipbidder
11-22-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you only know one song of his, then how the hell do you get off starting this thread?

11-22-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen.

JaBlue
11-22-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] that dirty hippie. Cash was a real man.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dirty hippie you're thinking of is Woody's son Arlo, who I also like. Woody Guthrie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie)

Overdrive
11-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Johnny Cash rules. Anyone who writes lyrics like "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" rules.

rusellmj
11-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure how much of his music he wrote. Ring of fire was written by his wife and Kris Kristofferson wrote Sunday Morning Coming Down.

At the end he was doing alot of cover stuff. While much of it missed the mark I thought, I got to hand it to him for giving it a shot. Sting, U2, whatever music I think he liked. Of course he caught lightning in a bottle with Hurt.

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash because my parents listened to country. I really believe that people who say his music had little value, or he wasn't talented, really don't know [censored] about music.

James Boston
11-23-2005, 12:20 AM
In honor of Clarkmeister.