PDA

View Full Version : The worst player ever

04-26-2002, 07:02 PM
I remember this one hand and shake my head to this very day. It happened about 5 years ago...we were playing dealer's choice $0.25 to $5, spread limit. Some moron calls 5 stud, one down, four up. We check around on first street. Second street sees me holding an open pair of two's. I bet $2, trying to end this boring ass game right there. This guy who looks like Carrot-top calls me. I don't improve on the next card, my dueces are still high. I fire another $2 into the pot, Carrot-top calls. The final card comes down, my two's are unimproved, Carrot-top has no pair showing. I bet $2 again, Carrot-top calls again. Damn. "You got me--all I've got is two's." Nope. Carrot-top called down my open pair of two's with king high. Thanks for the donation, buddy.

04-27-2002, 12:19 AM
Playing 20-40 stud (that's in US dollars, mind you) I am showing open trip aces on fifth street. I.e., my board is AAA. Of course I'm betting for all I'm worth, but this one guy keeps calling with a totally raggedy-ass board. He calls me on the river, and I think he must have made quads or a full house in the river, right? No sir, he FOLDS.

Another player at the table asks why he called, and the guy replies, "I wanted to see if she had quads."

TRLS

04-27-2002, 07:52 AM
there used to be a rule, in some poker halls, that in stud, if you could not beat what you saw...you got your river bet back...kinda a drunk benevolent rule,,,unclear if any poker rooms still have this rule...gl

04-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Maybe the guy was trying to induce the call on the river which leads to a muck. Sure it's worse than raising, but Jim Brier wrote about how he accidently called on the river in one of his first 30-60 experiences with a missed draw, giving him seven high, and his opponent rifled his cards into the muck immediately after his chips went into the pot. It was a BIG pot, too.

04-27-2002, 06:40 PM
One time I was in South Lake Tahoe, playing seven-card stud with like one other guy.

The girl I'm with is bored, and clever at games, so she jumps in for a hand.

Anyway, first hand ever, she gets dealt an open-ender, then a straight in the first five cards. And still, she's wavering.

So the shark knows he has this sweet little thing, he's jacking it up after she bets, and I'm thinking man does she know how to act!

Next card comes, now she has a six-card straight, she checks (do people check in stud?), he bets, she calls. She's like ice.

Finally, last card comes, she checks, he bets, she raises - with a big grin on her face, and after a little encouragememt from me.

Anyway, he calls, she turns over the seven-card straight. Hoo-wee, she says, I was afraid I wasn't going to get there!

(She thought you needed all seven.)

eLROY

04-27-2002, 07:22 PM
well it is 7 stud...lol..gl

04-29-2002, 12:56 AM
Both yours and ripdogs posts illustrate the fact that people often do things for different reasons than you or I at the poker table (or any other aspect of life for that matter). It's not EV, but certain other satisfactions that come into play.

G