PDA

View Full Version : Take a stand with KJs?

rtrombone
07-01-2003, 05:11 AM
NLHE $50 buy-in tournament, live. Blinds are $100 and $200 and they've just added a $25 ante. I'm relatively short stacked with $900. I've been in very few hands, having been dealt almost nothing worth playing.

I'm UTG with K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . With the antes and blinds, the pot is $550. In two hands my stack will be down to $550 (assuming I don't bust out or double up).

Do you move in here as a steal attempt from UTG? Results to come.

rtrombone
07-01-2003, 05:20 AM
I moved in and was called by a guy holding pocket jacks. The case jack flopped and I was gone.

Rickfish
07-01-2003, 05:32 AM
In principle, no I wouldn't because this does not figure to be the best hand out. At some point in the next few hands I will probably get a hand that is more likely to be the best hand out. Maybe on the BB it will be passed out or only SB will limp and you win with a bet.

However, sometimes impatience makes me do the same thing.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-01-2003, 08:55 AM
The blinds are going to take 40% of your stack, and this may be the best you'll see in the next orbit, so I'd go for it. You could get called by a medium ace, so even though you're behind, you're suited and odds are both your cards will be live.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-01-2003, 09:12 AM
I don't think it's a bad choice if you moved all-in on this one. I'm not saying it's ideal, but when desperate.... The thing is, if you get called, it will usually be by a better hand, which is something to consider. If your stack were smaller, say 600, I'd say do it without hesitation.

al

Wardfish
07-01-2003, 09:20 AM
I would probably have made a move sooner than this.

Did you not get a chance to steal on the previous one or two orbits?

I would have made my move then, with just about anything when first into the pot in late position.

fnurt
07-01-2003, 10:07 AM
I would definitely raise all-in here. With only 4.5x the BB and antes to pay as well, you don't have time to wait till the next orbit. If you pay the blinds and then get a better hand and double up during the next orbit, you're still not much better off, if at all, than you are right now.

I'd rather take a 40-60 chance right now than blind away half my money waiting for a 60-40 chance just so I can say I went out as the favorite. Also you have some chance of winning the pot uncontested now, whereas after paying the blinds your chances of stealing will be virtually nil.

bigfishead
07-01-2003, 10:22 AM
I usually dont. Yesterday in an online tourn I was in the same boat. I hate this hand and really really hate this position. I muck it and wait. I was fortunate to pick-up AK the very next hand in the BB and double-up, then the very next hand got QQ and doubled again!

This lead me to final table and 3rd place. BTW when we got to the final I was ever so slightly the chip leader. This from 1100 in chips at 300-600 blinds.

Guy McSucker
07-02-2003, 06:17 AM
I often go for it in this situation, and of course usually lose if called.

However, a lot of times you will not be called. Here someone had JJ and called you; fine. But this gives me the impression that had there been no big pair out, you would not have been called, and of course if someone had called on a different holding you might well have won when that J flopped.

Guy.