PDA

View Full Version : I bought a wrangler

11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I used to have one in high school, just a standard wrangler that was my everday driver, but I sold it. I just bought a 87 YJ, that is beat to [censored]...at least body wise. So Im ripping everything off, getting a new suspension, some decently big tires, and some kind of body kid/tub. Any suggestions on parts/colors/lights/accesories etc? I was thinking of making my own custom "edition". Like a gambler edition, with dice and cards where the normal logo goes, but I think thats kind of corny...I dont plan on going 4x4'ing often, just the occasional camping trip, and it wont be my everday driver.

samjjones
11-22-2005, 04:28 PM
http://www.cehobby.com/images/Ertl30163.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-22-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a gambler edition, with dice and cards where the normal logo goes

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't do this.

11-22-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, thats what I figured, but I want to put something cool there, its just that I dont have many hobbies except gambling, booze, women, and er...computers....

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, thats what I figured, but I want to put something cool there, its just that I dont have many hobbies except gambling, booze, women, and er...computers....

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeeps are your hobby. Leave the Jeep tag on there.

HtotheNootch
11-22-2005, 04:50 PM
First and most important - CHANGE THE GRILL! Those rectangular headlights on the early wranglers are an abomination. Jeeps should have round headlights.

Another modification I would make would be to change the front fenders to the "flat fender" style of the WWII military/early CJs.

After that it's really a matter of what you intend to use it for, your skill, and your budget.

As for myself, I own a CJ2A and a CJ3A. I'm planning on going stone original on the 2A, and might get a little creative with the 3A. That's probably why I'm suggesting the flat fender modification.

11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Yes, I have to chanve the grill anyways, because it is beyond repair, so that was going to be job #1. I actually just got done reading about the flat fender, and how to make one, but I dont know if i like the look. I may just replace the whole body with teh fiberglass MJ kit. Im not really going to use it to off road, only when I am pretty bored and get the chance, otherwise it will be for tooling around town, and going out with on nice days/nights. I love the 258 though, that what my old jeep had, so Im going to rebuild it, and put a nice 2 barrel on there w/ headers. They are abolishing the emission laws here in missouri, for all cars prior to 96 which rules. I just cant decide on bumper, paint, decals options etc.

11-22-2005, 07:25 PM
man, i've been in love with Wranglers since HS. Always wanted to get one. But never ahd the money.

Every once in a while, I skim eBay for Wranglers. But not sure if I would buy one from eBay.

I know for sure though, If I get one, I want one with the original rear rollbars. Ya know? the ones that angle downwards. Do you guys know what I'm talkin about? I can't remember what year they changed this.

11-22-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man, i've been in love with Wranglers since HS. Always wanted to get one. But never ahd the money.

Every once in a while, I skim eBay for Wranglers. But not sure if I would buy one from eBay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thats how I am. My parents bought me my first car when I turned 16 and it was a wrangle, I loved it. But as I got older it became to inconvenient to drive all the time. Now that Im 22 have some excess income, its going to be a great 2nd car. My advice, is to look at the junk yards if you know anything about cars. Jeeps are extremely simple to work on, and parts are not that expensive.

11-24-2005, 06:13 PM
thanks for the tip guids.

Unfortunatly, I know nothing about cars, but like wranglers, cars have been something that i've wanted to learn about since HS as well. Back then, because I lived in an aprtment, had no garage. Now that i own my own home and have a nice empty garage, considering it a great deal.

I hear that places like R&S Strauss, sell manuals (car specific) on everything you need to know about car maintenance, how to fix little problems, etc...

Do you think this would be a good place to start? Thanks.

HtotheNootch
11-24-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the tip guids.

Unfortunatly, I know nothing about cars, but like wranglers, cars have been something that i've wanted to learn about since HS as well. Back then, because I lived in an aprtment, had no garage. Now that i own my own home and have a nice empty garage, considering it a great deal.

I hear that places like R&S Strauss, sell manuals (car specific) on everything you need to know about car maintenance, how to fix little problems, etc...

Do you think this would be a good place to start? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be - depending on the manual. My grandfather was a mechanic, and he kept a library of service manuals even though he knew a large percentage of things just from experience.

I have a couple of old service manuals for my Jeeps. I'm also lucky enough that my father is good at all kinds of mechanical stuff.

If you have a friend who's skilled, see if you can work with him on a couple of his projects to gain some basic experience. He might even help on yours (although you must supply the beer).

11-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Ya, if you are good at getting information from technical manuals, then the chilton manuals are great. I would also try and find someone to teach you, Im sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to teach you some basics in exchange for a case of beer.

11-24-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah, i have a friend who is good with cars, recently restored an old chevy chevelle, sweet lookin car.

Gonna have to stock up on beer, thanks again.

phil_ivey_fan
11-24-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have one in high school, just a standard wrangler that was my everday driver, but I sold it. I just bought a 87 YJ, that is beat to [censored]...at least body wise. So Im ripping everything off, getting a new suspension, some decently big tires, and some kind of body kid/tub. Any suggestions on parts/colors/lights/accesories etc? I was thinking of making my own custom "edition". Like a gambler edition, with dice and cards where the normal logo goes, but I think thats kind of corny...I dont plan on going 4x4'ing often, just the occasional camping trip, and it wont be my everday driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats on re-joing the club... tha big penis club.