PDA

View Full Version : $15-$30HE - Bellagio - 8 bet flop

ACBob
07-01-2003, 12:42 AM
Playing in my second session at the Bellagio this weekend. $15-30HE, I am on the button.

Dimitri, young pretty good local player, 2 to my right open raises. In the cutoff to my direct right is another local, Benny, pretty fast and aggressive makes it three bets. The rest of us clear out and they take the flop headsup.

Both players have two to three racks in front of them, been talking alot and this situation arises.

Flop: AT3 rainbow

It goes bet, raise, reraise, reraise, reraise, reraise, reraise, reraise, call. Yes, eights bet on the flop.

Turn is an offsuit 8. Board: AT38

Dimitri leads out and Benny calls.

River: 3 Board: AT383

Bet and call.

Dimitri turns over A8 for two pair. Benny looks at his cards and grins, bends them and it looks like AK.

So, any rationale for the eight bet flop? I discussed with some other 2+2 and RGPers. What do you think?

Bob Lewis

Clarkmeister
07-01-2003, 12:54 AM
I can't imagine Dimitri was talking that much. He's usually pretty quiet.

If it is, indeed, the Dimitri I am thinking of, then Benny's play makes a little more sense. Dimitri can significantly overplay his hand at times, especially when headsup. But 8 bets does seem a little excessive.

Ed Miller
07-01-2003, 03:04 AM
Dimitri horribly misplayed this hand. Benny sometimes plays wild preflop, especially when he's drunk, but he's quite cagey after the flop particularly when he has position. There is simply no way that A8 is good when Benny keeps firing here.

Furthermore, if you notice, Benny is willing to open-raise with a lot of hands, but he tightens way up once there is a raise in front of him. If Benny 3-bets you, he's got a hand.

Dynasty
07-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Benny can be a nut case. A little over a month ago, he was playing like a pure maniac. Since then, he seems to be back in his normal mode of simply aggressive play. This hand reminds of his play a month ago.

but he tightens way up once there is a raise in front of him.

Not a month ago. Then, he was 3-betting with 84s.

Chris Gabriel
07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I also know this Dimitri. I agree with Clark that he does severly overplay his hands. Never seen him go 8 bets though.

andyfox
07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Perhaps a case of each guy thinking the other guy would slowplay with top two or a set?

John Ho
07-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Make sure Dmitri and the dealer aren't splitting the pot after the down is over.

SossMan
07-01-2003, 02:39 PM

ACBob
07-01-2003, 03:38 PM
"Perhaps a case of each guy thinking the other guy would slowplay with top two or a set?"

Agreed. But 8 bets with that board? Russ's "Rule of Seven" could be argued but this was eight and one purpose is to stop your opponent from leading out. In this case the player who stops and calls the eighth bet leads out on the turn.

I was looking for any rationale and perhaps insight from the locals who know these two.

Bob Lewis