PDA

View Full Version : Min-raises?

aw1978
11-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I've noticed that when I lead out with a bet after the flop, and someone min-raises, it often indicates a monster hand (2 pair or better), especially somewhat early in a SNG.

I should have gotten a hand history, but here's a simple example:

Blinds 25-50
Assume a full table and
I have 1000 chips,
Button has 1000 chips

I raise to 150 UTG with AQ
Button calls, everyone else folds
(Pot is now 375 and we both have 850 TC)

Flop is Q 8 5,
I lead out with a bet of 250,
Button raises to 500

Now what?

I usually push, only to be mortified when he flips over pocket 8s, pocket 5s, QT or something along those lines.

Maybe I have selective memory or have had a recent bad run of such situations. Anyone notice anything similar? I can only fold or go all-in, since there's no way I'm just calling given the pot size and our chip stacks. What's the minimum hand you would need to risk it all? I would think TPTK would be good enough, but maybe I can just fold and keep my tournament life afloat. Any thoughts?

pineapple888
11-22-2005, 04:28 PM
This happens all the time in the lower buy-ins, and it can mean just about anything, unfortunately.

I usually call if I have reasonable draws to improve my hand, since I'm getting great odds. (Although in your example, as you explain, it's too late for that.)

Otherwise, I may push, or I may just let it go, depending on my reads/instincts.

There's just no easy answer here.

11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Generally, I am cautious around min raises but more so preflop. A lot of it is circumstantial post flop.

What's the buyin? Any reads on that particular player?

It's honestly possible that he has KQ and thinks he has the best hand but is timid about pushing it. Again, that sorta depends on the level of buyin. In the lower buyins, you'll see that crap more often. In the higher buyins, you'll see the trips trying to get you committed but you can't rule out inferior hands like 99 trying to pressure you.

If the guy has trips on a board like that, I would think he's more inclined to raise your turn bet but I could be wrong.

aw1978
11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I usually play $50 SNGs at Party. I usually multi-table so I don't get a lot of reads unless that person is a complete maniac. I also think that reads in online poker are much less significant than in live poker.

I guess you could break it down into some possible hands he could hold:
Hands where you're in bad shape:
AA
KK
QQ
QT

Possible hands where you're in good shape:
JJ
TT
KQ
QJ

I think you should be able to rule out QQ for obvious reasons.