PDA

View Full Version : Career Options

11-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I have a lot of time until I have to worry about getting a job, because I'm only a freshman. But i do want to get my major correct now. Currently I am in business law. I am not sure what I can do with this, but my vague plan was to get into the entertainment business (writing up contracts, lawyer for network/production company, etc.) But when I realized that the only math I'm good at is probability, alegbra, easy crap (not calculus, or economics for that matter.) and the classes I do well in are history, theology, english, etc. I started to wonder if I was headed in the right direction. If I have a harder time doing math, is a business major not the way to go here? Or do the classes you take have nothing to do with your job?

Paluka
11-22-2005, 03:21 PM
The chances that your future career and your college major end up matching are pretty low. Major in something that interests you and that you are good at. Worry about jobs later.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-22-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The chances that your future career and your college major end up matching are pretty low. Major in something that interests you and that you are good at. Worry about jobs later.

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize this is the closer to the general rule than my particular case, but as an engineer, it just seems incredibly odd to me to think of things like this. When you go to an engineering school, your major is exactly what you do (if you go into engineering - most do). Sorry for the threadjack - I just find it interesting that my field is in such a minority by doing it the way that seems so logical.

Paluka
11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize this is the closer to the general rule than my particular case, but as an engineer, it just seems incredibly odd to me to think of things like this. When you go to an engineering school, your major is exactly what you do (if you go into engineering - most do). Sorry for the threadjack - I just find it interesting that my field is in such a minority by doing it the way that seems so logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to engineering school. I'm not an engineer.

Dominic
11-22-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to engineering school. I'm not an engineer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is engineering school the one you go to so you can drive the choo-choo train? I want to be an engineer, dammit.

turnipmonster
11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
agreed, the ppl in my department's graduating class without exception all had jobs in the same field (CS) or were getting their phds. I know this because they announced where everyone was going to work, which I thought was very lame.

swede123
11-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Math is pretty important to engineering type fields and hard sciences, like physics and chemistry. If you're looking at business, law or something like that math is the least of your concerns. The only math you could even consider somewhat difficult in business would be some higher level statistics, and if you feel pretty comfortable with probability type math you'll do just fine in most college level statistics.

Now stop worrying about your career and start worrying about getting drunk and scoring. Re-evaluate once you're a junior.

Swede