PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Darts

Your Mom
11-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I want to get my groomsman a real nice set of darts. Suggestions from knowledgable dart people are duly appreciated.

IndieMatty
11-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't know anything about this really, though I hear Arachnids are a place to start. But I just want to say that this is the coolest groomsman gift ever.

Slow Play Ray
11-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I agree that it's a pretty cool gift, but I can't help but make fun of people who bring their own darts places.

That being said, I've always found Walmart's dart line to serve my needs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

asofel
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Black widows are among the high end darts, around $129 if you find them at an ebay store. I have a set that are great, but I'm going to be getting some new ones as I'd like a thinner shaft (har har).

Does the groomsman play a lot? You can get a nice set for 50-60 as well as some custom darts for less than $100, although that'd be hard to do as a surprise gift.

asofel
11-22-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's a pretty cool gift, but I can't help but make fun of people who bring their own darts places.

That being said, I've always found Walmart's dart line to serve my needs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably crack you up: own darts, couple pool cues, deck of cards...yeah, its like a man purse....

Slow Play Ray
11-22-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably crack you up: own darts, couple pool cues, deck of cards...yeah, its like a man purse....

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring your own cards places? That screams shadiness, "oh, no, let's use my deck - I'll even deal!" Haha.

Also, pool cues are generally different - though it is still unacceptable to bring one anywhere but a pool hall, or a regular bar if it's league night. Well, I guess it's the same for darts.

asofel
11-22-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring your own cards places? That screams shadiness, "oh, no, let's use my deck - I'll even deal!" Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah...well i usually just keep a deck in my cue case as we often end up playing drunken games of spades late night at our regular bar....

slickpoppa
11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah...well i usually just keep a deck in my cue case as we often end up playing drunken games of spades late night at our regular bar....

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has played spades with Asofel would never worry about him being intelligent enough to cheat effectively.

ZeroPointMachine
11-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Is he a serious dart player? If he is you may need to reconsider or involve him in the selection. There are a million weight, size and style variations. If he just likes to play and would appreciate a decent set of darts, thats cool, but if he has been playing for a long time and takes the game seriously he probably has definite preferences. It's similiar to buying sombody a set of golf clubs or a bowling ball or a pool cue.

pokerdirty
11-22-2005, 03:35 PM
i know nothing about darts, but i believe i'm fairly g00t for an amateur.

all i know is, i /images/graemlins/heart.gif watching Pro Darts on FSN late at night, with the crazy British announcer dude.

Your Mom
11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Should have given more info. Groomsman plays weekly. Looking to spend 50-60.

ZeroPointMachine
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
You can definately find a nice set in your price range. I would recommend going to a local billiards supply (most of them have decent dart selections). Tell them it is a gift and make sure they will allow exchanges. Get a set that is made of tungsten (that's the good stuff). Do you know if he plays steel tip or soft tip darts?(very important)

asofel
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has played spades with Asofel would never worry about him being intelligent enough to cheat effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU GOT LITTLE COJONES!

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 04:07 PM
The only way to be sure to get him a set he will like is to take him with you when buy the set. Darts and peoples preference for them vary greatly. If you don't bring him along I'd say that you only have a 20% chance of finding him a great set. Go to a major sporting goods store and expect to pay anywhere from $40 - $80.

dcasper70
11-22-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take him with you when buy the set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important.
Someone who plays any of these games a lot (golf, pool, bowling, darts, etc) will have certain preferences for their equipment. If you get a set, and it's not a good weight for him, he just won't use them.

Bring him & you're guaranteed to get the perfect ones for him. He'll appreciate it much more.

flatline
11-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Get him some mid-weight fixed-tip Black Widows(like $109). I don't see how anybody wouldn't like 'em. Movable tips are cool, but more expensive and not as durable(like $129).

Joe Tall
11-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Any 24Gram+ hammerhead darts are perfect. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Orion-MVD-26g-Darts-80-Tungsten-Hammerhead-PowerPoint_W0QQitemZ7198139818QQcategoryZ26332QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)