PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone thrown away live buried AA?

bugstud
06-30-2003, 09:24 PM
I was playing a UB hand where a complete rock with an 8 showing took me to 4 bets on 3rd street. I checkcalled to see his 8's full, wondering if you guys have ever mucked it.

Michael Davis
07-01-2003, 12:12 AM
I've never folded live buried aces, but I folded them split one time when I came in for a raise and it was capped when it got back to me. The player who capped could not have anything but a roll.

-Mike

CJC
07-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Oh yes...

Heck,
I mucked a rolled hand on 3rd not too long ago. ( although that was the only time I had ever done that! )

Knowing when to fold strong hands is a MUST for the serious working player. ( Just make sure you don't let anyone know what your mucking.. )

CJ

bugstud
07-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Rolled? I'm at the stage where'd I'd rather just lose the money if I'm up again a higher rolled hand than pitch it. Probably explains my worsening results at 3/6 online.

Andy B
07-01-2003, 01:34 AM
A must? The key to winning poker, in my estimation, is the understanding that there are no good hands, only good situations. That said, I have never folded rolled-up trips before sixth street, and I have never folded Aces before fourth street. I've only ever folded Aces on fourth against paired door cards held by very straightforward opponents, and I haven't done that more than a handful of times. I don't even recall a situation where I even considered folding rolled-up trips early on, nor Aces on third. How often does such a scenario come up? Every 20,000 deals? More? Worry about the situations that come up a lot, like when you've got two pair and the other guy likes his hand. If you pay off with rolled-up trips every time, you're probably costing yourself little to nothing in the long run. If you pay off with two pair every time, well, your game could use some work. And so could mine.

Robk
07-01-2003, 01:45 AM
It's pretty easy to do when one of those little old ladies asks "How much can I raise?" and breaks out a red chip on 3rd in 1-5 stud. I've done it maybe 2 or 3 times, but I'm not a very experienced stud player.

CJC
07-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Hello Andy,

I don't even recall a situation where I even considered folding rolled-up trips early on, nor Aces on third.

Rolled Trips.. yes extremely rarely if ever.. Thats why I posted that hand a while ago ( which you responded too )

Aces.. I can think of quite a few times where I dumped them on third. True its not very often.. but its alot less than 20,000 deals. AND yes, recognizing when to dump them will reap rewards in the long run.

I like your use of words concerning situations rather than hands..

Also 1 more thing.. You say you have never folded rolled trips b4 sixth. You cannot be serious about that!

Later,
CJ

Wombat6
07-01-2003, 10:06 AM
with what kind of kicker?

Wombat6

SittingBull
07-01-2003, 04:33 PM
4-bet on 3rd--EVEN if he has pocket A's-in low and low medium limit games. So if he folds many 3rd Str. hands,allowing yourself the possibility of being bluffed out of a winning hand against this type of player is rarely a hugh error.
Happypokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

Andy B
07-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Also 1 more thing.. You say you have never folded rolled trips b4 sixth. You cannot be serious about that!

I am. I've folded trips before sixth street once or twice, but never rolled-up trips. It's so rare that it's correct to throw away trips that I really don't think it's worth worrying about. I posted the hand where I folded rolled-up trips (which had filled) under B-Man's $3000 pot post.

Ten thousand deals?

bugstud
07-01-2003, 08:23 PM
this 3/6 UB game, he's a very good player, makes a killing at 5/10 HE too, rest of the table is rather loose. In this case, we had 2 people come along until 5th, actually.

Mike
07-02-2003, 12:39 AM
One of the poker rags last year had a HE article where the author said a player next to him told him she hated playing AA, and showed him AA as she threw it away. He said he would have thought it was funny, but she was miles ahead in chips.

I would have to see fourth street, then I would be a believer when I didn't make a set. If it was heads up I may be tempted to go to seventh street. That would be because you know what the rock has down. I love/hate AA in any game...

redsamurai
07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
With the talk of how often this happens I figured I'd do the calculation.

1)You will be dealt Rolled up Trips 1 in 425 hands ((52*3*2)/(52*51*51)) or approx 0.24%.
2) Given you were dealt trips a given opponent will catch trips 6 in 2303 hands ((48*3*2)/(49*48*47)) or approx 0.26%.
3) Given a full table and your rolled-up trips, one of your seven opponents will have trips 1-(1-0.26%)^7 or 1.81% of the time.
4) Combining these two gives us that the situation of you and at least one of your opponents having trips is approx 0.24%*1.81%, 0.0043% or 1 in 23020 hands.
5) A little less than half of these you have the better trips and thus are only will find yourself chasing with rolled trips a little more than 1 in 46040 hands.

Who said math can't be fun? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif