PDA

View Full Version : My daughters trip to Africa...thought I'd share...

04-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Hello Everyone.

I have decided to tell everyone at one time about my trip to Africa. Steve and I went to Africa last Tuesday and got home Tuesday. (gone for 7 days). We flew out of Tampa airport at 530pm and flew 8 1/2 hours to London, Gatwick airport. The flight was not bad. Free movies and booze. I don't drink...but enjoyed the movies. We got to London and had to switch airports. It is kinda like from Midway to O'hare...around an hour to and hour and a half drive depending on the traffic. I fell asleep the entire way. I didn't sleep at all on the plane. We arrived at Heathrow airport and still had to wait six hours to catch our connecting flight to Accre, Ghana. They would not take our luggage...just in case we couldn't get on. ( We flew standby)..so with luggage in tow we went to grab a bite to eat. Now it is 7 a.m. Florida time. I have had an hour of sleep. We are exhausted... finally six hours later we get to check in for our flight. We slept the 6 1/2 hours to Ghana. For those who do not add that fast, we had a total of 16 hours on planes. Now I know what jet lag really is.

We arrived in Africa at 8 p.m. Wednesday night. All and all it was a four hour time difference from Florida. So it was like 4 p.m. Wednesday night. Just about 24 hours from the time we got to Tampa airport to start our trip.

Arriving at the airport was a culture shock from the get go. There were at least 40 to 60 men outside of the airport ready to hustle some money out of you. "God bless you Please" was chanted through the streets. Everyone wanted money.

A man came up to us and said the name of our hotel. We said yes and followed him. Half way down the stairs he said...if I take you to where you need to go..You give me tip? We then realized this was not our driver but a man who was going to show us where our driver was for a few bucks. Deal made, we were brought to our driver. Walking to the car was a trip. Men following in tow begging for money...touching my bag....tapping my arm. I was in the car faster than you can imagine. Tapping the windows God bless you Please chanting as we pulled away.

This is my first experience in Africa. What a week this will be.

The two and a half our drive to the hotel was crazy. As we are trucking down the dirt road...holes all over...no street lights...bouncing down the street....we were going through towns. I soon realized these shacks without roofs...no glass in the windows... just some bamboo sticks with a grass cover...these were their homes. Women with babies strapped on their back, bowls balancing on their head were selling anything and everything. Men coming up to the windows selling apples on strings, toilet paper, Dead RATS, I am not kidding. It was a sight to see. Very and I can not stress Very Sad. I now understand what a third world country means. If you know anyone ungrateful for what they have...send them there. Running water is a privilege. Electricity, a home...a bed. My God.

Now we finally get to the hotel. And are greeted by our bell hop who has a HUGE Riffle strapped across his chest. Do I feel safe...or is this when I just hand over my clitoris?

We go to our room. Not bad and crash. The next morning (Thursday) it is raining....Hard. We go and grab a bite to eat at the hotel. Eggs, sausage...you know.

The eggs come. Sunny side up. RAW...the sausage...curled up ...I think it is monkey butts. Ok, Monkey butts and booger eggs. NO THANK YOU. Back to bed to sleep off the jet lag.

We get up for dinner....I see nothing on the menu I can do. So I order a burger. Steve says...after the waiter leaves. A burger? And where would they keep the meat cold? And what kind of meat is it? I said oh, I didn't think of that. Thank you for telling me before he left so I could change my order. One Bite and I realize. This is not Betsy the cow but Rodney the Road Rat. Another meal gone. I feel the pounds shedding.

We try a walk on the beach. But stop short. BUGS swarming the air. I run towards the room screaming Malaria...HELL NO. Steve begs me to put my shirt over my mouth and run through the bugs. To the beach. For the love of my man. I bite the bullet, or shall I say bug and go.

Down at the beach we soon realize this is not a swimable beach. We have come across the dung river. This is where the natives go and Poo. I just got done a few months ago and a few books ago. I read message in the bottle. I saw a piece of paper with writing on it and I am curious. The book message in the bottle springs to mind. Is this a love note? Hmmm lets see. I pick it up and realize oh to soon that this is not the message I intended to get. This my friend is Dung paper. Someone shit and wiped their ass with this. They don't use toilet paper. They can not afford it. Leaves, paper, anything they can get there hands on is game.

Back to the room to scrub my hands.

Unknown to me, this is the first and last day for running water.

Friday.

We get up and it is still raining. Stuck in the room all day. Mid day it stops and we decide to go on a tour. Elmina castle in Cape Coast. This is where the Dutch use to trade goods. It was then taken over and slaves where imprisoned before sent to America.

We arrive at the castle and are greeted by around 8 boys begging for money....I am nervous.

The tour was interesting. Informative, sad. I stood in a place where history was made. I was in the cells where the women and men were celled. I was where the women got raped. It was moving.

Back to the hotel. No running water. A trash can in our room filled with water from somewhere who knows... to bathe in for the week. Did I mention it was AFRICA HOT. 100% humidity. My skin and hair are now itching. I swear to God I do have LICE. I even make Steve check. No lice. Just nerves.

Saturday

off to Kumasi a town which is 4 hours away. God the drive was less than pleasant. The air only worked if we where driving fast...which was not often. Bumpy roads. Towns of despair.

We make it to Kumasi and go to the Kings palace/museum to pay our respect. We go on an hour tour of the Ashanti tribe. I see peacocks for the first time. Beautiful.

Off to town to go to the market. I DO NOT WANT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR. I am nervous, I am scared. We stick out like sore thumbs. Everyone thinks we are rich. Everyone is hounding us to buy there stuff or give them something. In and out. One item purchased. Back to the car. We now drive and hour to go eat somewhere. It had a beautiful view. food. I haven't eaten a decent meal yet. Back to the hotel. Spaghetti. I am starting to be able to eat. Osha standard kitchen I think not. But I have to eat something. It is over dinner that we decide we have had enough. Tomorrow is Sunday. We were supposed to leave on Monday. We are leaving a day early.

The plan.

Wake up Sunday a.m. do one more tour of the rain forest. Back to the hotel to wash up in the buckets of cold water, and off to the airport for a night in London.

Sunday.

We woke up and went to the Kakum National Park. The rainforest to walk on the canopy walk. Ok, I have no idea what I am in for but I am game.

The canopy walk I find out was made by 6 Ghana men. They took bow and arrows. Arrows attached to ropes and shoot them in the sky. No bulldozers, just bow and arrows, climbing trees. So what becomes of this? They shoot the arrows in the sky attach to tree tops and make a bridge.

A canopy walk in the sky. In the middle of the rainforest. 150 feet in the air. The size of one and a half football fields. The planks that sway to and fro are broken up into 7 planks. One plank walk and then a rest stop like a round deck built in a tree for support. Only one person at a time on a walk way. Once one person is almost done, the next person starts to walk.

Ok, still not a clue, I am game. FYI I am scared to death of heights. I hate Ferris wheels, climbing ladders. I really have a fear. So anyway on your mark get set..GO. I am off on the walk. I still don't realize how high I am because I am surrounded by trees, I can not see below me. I am in the tree tops. So I make the first plank and get to the deck for safety. What a view. Wow how the scene just opens up. I am on top of the world. Funny thing it has open up. I can see the ground. 150 feet below me. I am scared out of my mind. I can not breath. I am frozen in the middle of a tree. I know I have to keep going. I must. There is no one to save me. No helicopter that can come and rescue me. I am in the middle of the rainforest like a monkey in a tree. ( I don't even think the monkeys go this high up) Anyway. I will send you pictures so you can see. It was high and scary, but I made it. I made Steve always go first and then stand where I could see him to focus on him. That was the only way I was going to get through this. I did.

Made it out alive. So we leave. Get back to the hotel. And are off to the airport. We arrive and the same scene is at the airport, people wanting leftover money. We make it inside. 4 hours before our flight leaves. I am praying to God that we make this flight. There is one flight a day and I can not bear to stay in this country one more night. They say come back in 3 hours, we will let you know if we can get you on then. No where to go. Steve suggests walking across the street to get something to drink and eat. I said if you think my ass is leaving this building to go back out there with those people, you are nuts. I will gladly watch the luggage while you go have a drink. Bah bye.

I read a book, he went for a drink and to call our families. We finally get on the plane. One of the last seats. THANK YOU GOD.

The flight left at 10:45 p.m. and we are back in London at 6 a.m.. We jump on the tube (underground subway) and head to town. I love London. They drive on the wrong side of the road, they talk funny. Did you know Que for the Lue means in line for the bathroom? Had a great time in London. We got a hotel room down town, walked around, went to some pubs. They have awesome beer. They pump it out. It is not carbonated. I hate booze but I could live on London beer. It is a pity I will have to fly all the way to London to catch a buzz. Anyway, It was an awesome time. We went to China town for dinner. We were only there one night but made the best out of it. Tuesday a.m we have a flight back to the states. 8 1/2 hours. But we made it.

I don't mean to sound like this trip to Africa was Awful. It was an experience. I understand the difference between a vacation and a trip as well. This was an adventure. I am so glad I went. I would not go back. I don't like to feel like an outcast, I don't like to feel un-welcomed. Ghana men flicking me off. People staring a hole through me. I like all inclusive. I like running water. You can keep Accre Ghana, I will take London any day. Steve and I have come to an agreement. I will no longer go to third world countries with him. But he can go with family and friends. Together we will go to London, Italy, Greece, Ireland, France, Australia. Cruises and all inclusive resorts. That is what I like. He can keep the rest. He is going to Thailand in the middle of May. I passed. My next trip is Italy. I hope you enjoyed my adventure to Africa. I will send the pictures on a separate email. Hope this email finds everyone well. Talk to you soon.

Love,

Kristen

04-26-2002, 11:13 AM

04-26-2002, 01:10 PM

04-26-2002, 01:34 PM

04-26-2002, 03:57 PM
wow, one of yor very best,,,,however...

i am real disappointed you did not play any poker in london???vie gehtz??gl

04-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Better re-read the story, it was my Daughter who went to Africa not me.

SPM,...grounded...

04-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Monsoon Mal-mouth should reveal your true identity.

04-27-2002, 05:31 PM
My "true identity?" My true identity is that I am some random freak on the Internet whom nobody has ever heard of. I can't imagine that if Mason posted my name, or my eye color, or anything else about me, that anybody would notice or care.

But whatever my "identity" is supposed to mean, how the heck is Mason supposed to know it? Heck, even pop stars have trouble getting people to remember they exist for more than a month.

People pay thousands of dollars to promoters to put their name in lights, and still nobody knows who they are. Do you really even think Mason himself would take any notice of me if I paid him?

Does anybody on Earth care who I am apart from you, Disciple 1?

eLROY

04-27-2002, 07:43 PM
you can fool the others, but i know...sedona one day..ghana the next...spm..world travelor par excellance...note also the emphasis on personal toilet actions...that ain't genetics...that's spm..also, the length.. a woman can talk that long...but it takes the spm to write that long...hope ya didn't get aids...gl

04-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Soon you will reveal to the world your plan for domination right? And then the Women and Dancing!!

04-28-2002, 08:45 AM

04-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Everybody knows that eLROY is Chris Alger.

04-29-2002, 06:02 PM
...you have to get the sugar.