PDA

View Full Version : The time i tried to outplay Huck Seed

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 11:57 AM
When i moved to Vegas in the late 90's the first thing i thought about was who are the best players. I asked the dealers at the mirage and almost always the name Huck Seed would come up. He was at the top of the poker world. Coming off his main event win at the wsop in 96. He was dating the hottest chick around named Dee.(an asian chick who was very hot, don't know where she is now. supposedly she was a very good player herself) He had it all. He was quickly becoming a legend. Many compared him to Stue "the kid" ungar. Now fastforward to a few years ago when it was rumored Huck fell on hard times and was now broke. He was nowhere to be found for a couple months and now he walks up and sits down next to me. I must admit i was a little star struck. As i said he was "Da Man" when i came to town. It was like if Stuey Ungar sat down next to you. And to compare it to other sports. Its like if you are a big basketball fan and you are shooting hoops with your buddies at the schoolyard and Michael Jordan asks if he can get in the game.

Ok so now he sits down right next to me in the 9 seat. I'm in the 10 seat. Almost everyone at the table knows its him. So everyone is probably thinking. I can't wait to tell everyone i played with HUCK SEED tonight. And probably to tell there grandchildren one day.

So i'm expecting him to try and run over the table. But to my surprise he's playing pretty solid poker. I was like WHAT? This is Huck Seed he's supposed to be the big bluff man! So i said he will be bluffing alot later. Then a 30-60 pro sits behind him to sweat his buddy(huck). Huck starts asking him how am i playing? The guy say good. It becomes apparent that Huck is "getting back to basics" to get his game back on track. His buddy then leaves and he continues to play solid for the next hour apart from a few button steal raises with 23s and 27s. But c'mon its huck, he's gotta do that. But he is definately trying to play his "A" game it appears.

Ok we been playing for couple hours and now this hand comes up. No raise preflop. It comes KK2. I check in the bb 2 limpers check and Huck last to act checks. The turn is a 3 it gets check around again. The river is a blank like an 8. I have nothing 910 off. But dont think anyone has anything here and i have a very tight image at this table. So i lead into all 3. The 2 limpers fold and huck puts in a quick reraise. With my Stuey Ungar like ability to read and sense weakness i LELAISE! Now i'm thinking hmm should i show the bluff or just keep quiet about it after he folds? As there is no way he can call. As i'm thinking he says CALL! I was like how can that be? My stuey ungar senses said you had nothing and you thought i had nothing so you raised. I table my sotne bluff and act proud of it to make everyone think i'm crazy and he gives me a little look like "what you think your me?" and shows me pocket deuces for a flopped full house. I say "i thought you were bluffin" he turns and gives me this evil look(and dark voice) and says "they always think i'm bluffin". Nothing else what was said and i smiled. I left shortly thereafter.

I told my buddy about the hand and i was laughing. He said i never saw you so happy to give your money away. I said hey it was only a couple bucks but i get a good story out of it. And that was the time i tried to outplay Huck Seed.

cpitt398
11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
what limit was this?

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry i had originally wrote the limit but my post got erased had to start over. It was 15-30 at bellagio.

TripleH68
11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so now he sits down right next to me in the 9 seat. I'm in the 10 seat.

No raise preflop. It comes KK2. I check in the bb 2 limpers check and Huck last to act checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And probably to tell there grandchildren one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

How sad /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I must have been sb. sorry, it was 3 years ago.

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Why is that sad? Is it because of the stereotypes put on poker players? So its ok to tell the grandchilrdren about meeting kobe bryant(with all his problems) but not a poker player? Kobe is the good role model but not a poker player?

11-22-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is that sad? Is it because of the stereotypes put on poker players? So its ok to tell the grandchilrdren about meeting kobe bryant(with all his problems) but not a poker player? Kobe is the good role model but not a poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad because you feel the need to tell your grandkids about something so asinine and meaningless. It's pathetic how people hold poker players in such high regard. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bartman387
11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think both situations are kinda pathetic. Kobe is a man like any other, just meeting him is a pretty pathetic story to hold onto forever to tell generation after generation. As is the same for playing one hand with Huck Seed, or bluffing Johnny Chan off his hand at the Taj.

phish
11-22-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think both situations are kinda pathetic. Kobe is a man like any other, just meeting him is a pretty pathetic story to hold onto forever to tell generation after generation. As is the same for playing one hand with Huck Seed, or bluffing Johnny Chan off his hand at the Taj.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. These are the same types of people who asks for autographs. Get some self-esteem and get a life.

Celebrity worship is the most pathetic of pasttimes.

Jeffage
11-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Why be mean spirited? I like the story. Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio and I have played with Mason as well. As a sports fan and a poker fan, both were cool experiences and stuff I've told friends. I'll definitely remember them. But...I guess I have "no life."

Jeff

JTrout
11-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Nice story. Keep'em coming!

drewjustdrew
11-22-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why be mean spirited? I like the story. Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio and I have played with Mason as well. As a sports fan and a poker fan, both were cool experiences and stuff I've told friends. I'll definitely remember them. But...I guess I have "no life."

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the question is, are you telling friends because you think they will think you are cool, or are you telling them, just cuz they might enjoy the story and like to hear about brushes with famous people?

Star f'ers are annoying, but I don't see a problem with telling people that you met someone famous.

sweetjazz
11-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Can you tell us about the time you played at the main event final table with Greg Raymer next?

Vincent Lepore
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell us about the time you played at the main event final table with Greg Raymer next?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never played against Greg but I'll bet he's been to dinner with Greg a lot more times than you have. Wanna bet big mouth?

Vince

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 05:09 PM
So if your dad told you he played some kind og game with Joe Dimmagio you would think he was sad? Or would you say wow thats kinda neat?

I am worshiping noone. In fact i think i play better than him. But its kinda cool to meet famous people and see how they act. I more than anybody know there just people. I was exxagerrating a little when i said i was starstruck. I was more Starstruck when i played with Arod and james Woods. But still treated them like everyone else. They are just people. And i never said i would tell my grandchildren. I was more referring to the older guys in the game. But if i chose to tell my grandchildren i wouldnt see it as pathetic. Of course it would only be if he became super famous where the kids would know who he was.

Vincent Lepore
11-22-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 15-30 with Arod at Bellagio about 2 years ago. Nice guy from what I can tell. On one hand I flopped quad Aces against him and he folded on the flop without a bet. On another hand I flopped 3 Aces. I bet into him on the turn. He paused for a moment and then said "You got an ace, huh?" I looked at him and asked "Do you ask the pitcher what he's going to throw you?" he smiled and said "Sometimes" and mucked his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I have played with Mason as well

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my first experiences in playing poker in Vegas, oh maybe 7 years ago was at the Mirage. I was visiting and only played stud back then. I had never met Mason or Sklansky but had read 7 stud for Advanced players and these two guys were my heroes. There was a 15 stud game going stud at the Mirage. It was 3 handed. Mason was in the 1 seat. I sat down in the 2 seat. Before the hand was dealt Sklansky sat in the 3 seat and started talking to Mason. I was in awe. Could not believe I was sitting between my two poker idols. Sklansky played a hand or two and got up and went to another table. As soon as he left I played this hand against Mason. Mason had a Q up and raised. Next to act I had rolled up Kings. I just called. We saw 4th street heads-up. Mason aught a blank and I paired my door card giving me quad Kings. Mason mucked his hand before I could do anything. I turned over my cards and said "What a Four-king hand that was". Mason got up and went to another table and the game broke. That I believe is the only time I've ever played cards with him.

This is a news views and gossip Forum. This is the place to tell little poker stories like this. I think Smoothcall did a great job with his stories outlining some of his experiences with familiar names. Detractors be damned.

Vince

phish
11-22-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was unnecessarily harsh. I apologize.

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jeff. Glad you liked it.

11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's sad because you feel the need to tell your grandkids about something so asinine...

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 3 grand kids. The one I'm closest to enjoys hearing crap from me. I enjoy telling him. Some folks call it bonding. I do it because I love him. I think he enjoys my wanting to be close to him.

Both my grandfathers were gone before I was old enough to get to know them. I've always regretted that.

So maybe you should just keep your cynicism to yourself. Or maybe you're missing something in your life and striking out. If that's the case, I apologize and sincerely hope you get over it.

To Smoothcall:
<ul type="square"> Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your story. [/list]

sweetjazz
11-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry. I thought your boyfriend had played against Greg.

Smoothcall
11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Its posters such as yourself that make it worthwhile to post here.

11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I really enjoy reading stories like this, keep em coming /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 12:46 AM
sweetjazz,

I think you are jealous because you've only played with yourself. And I bet you're not good at that either.

Vince

11-23-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sweetjazz,

I think you are jealous because you've only played with yourself. And I bet you're not good at that either.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Game, Set, Match!!!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
11-23-2005, 03:46 AM
(didn't read all the responses)

interesting story imo.

My first live tournament (of any significance...I had played in 2 other very small live tournaments previously) - Party Poker Millions last March.
I get moved to a table with Chip Jett who plays even wilder than Huck imo.
This is a limit tourney btw.
after he ran over me a couple times I pulled off a similar bluff with JT in the CO on a board of 77AK or something.
Although I didn't show it. but I was kind of proud of my sense of him not having it...and of my sense that he had already read me as a green newbie (which I was) who was playing pretty tight and wouldn't bluff there.

I finished 177th out of 735 to barely make the money.

My next live tourney (except for a small one in between) was the $3k NLHE WSOP event on July 1.
Tom McEvoy in seat 6. I'm in seat 8. Huck Seed in seat 9.

Huck was fun with his dry sense of humor.
but he was a total maniac some of the time and I half-thought he was practically TRYING to lose.
He was always putting the other players on cards even when he wasn't involved in the hand and was quietly sharing his observations with me (the guy in the 10-seat was a foreign guy with head-phones...so Huck couldn't banter with him).

It was extremely interesting to hear Huck's out-loud-thinking, "That guy has to have queens." "That guy's loose...no way he has it. He wouldn't have bet that much."

Couple of times I tried to play in the blinds with Huck...but he was an all-in maniac and I wasn't ready to depart yet and didn't have the cards to really mix it up with him.
Very difficult to play against.

Some other guy that Huck knows comes to the table and sits in the 1 seat.
Syracuse Mike or Syracuse Jim or something I believe is his name (not sure).
I get the distinct impression that those two have mixed it up at the table before.

Syracuse guy and Huck both have decent stacks I believe.
Huck keeps telling him that he's going to pick up a big hand and bust him out of the tourney. Just good-natured ribbing that might not have been taken quite as good-naturedly I guess.

Anyway...those two go at in a hand. Syracuse might be in the BB and Huck on the button.
Not sure.

Pre-flop has some action. Raise and a call...or maybe a re-raise and a call. Not sure.

Flop is something like Q85.
Huck pushes in the rest of his stack (which might have been a little shorter now that I think about it...he was covered I believe).
he's insta-called by Syracuse who has QQ.
huck has 97s.
Syracuse is excited and says something like, "I've finally got you now Huck."
huck says something like, "Wait a minute. Not yet you don't. Just wait for this 6 to come on the turn."
He's all confident about it.

turn: 6

huck hits his straight and Syracuse ghuy is crippled and dejected.
The whole table erupts and can't believe that huck called his turn-card.

huck busted shortly after our table was broken-up. I saw him in the corner chatting with David Williams for quite awhile.
I finished about 170th out of 1010 and was kinda close to making the money.

mike l.
11-23-2005, 03:59 AM
hmm. ive had a bunch of hands against huck seed a few years ago when he was slumming a lot at commerce playing 20, 30, and 40. one time i had K high and i raised preflop and he was the bb and i bet and he folded after staring at me for like 15 seconds. i just looked at him thinking "man you really are a tool arent you?" im glad i didnt say that though he's like 6'9". plus he acted weird sometimes like he's doing meth or crack or something, and he always had this slimy bunch of poker degenerates hanging on him all the time.

oh one time he was helping some kid who plays really good who i used to play a lot with i think someone said it's his brother and we were playing 15-30 at hollywood park. so huck sits down and plays this kid's short stack and folds for like 6 rounds straight and im pretty sure no one else at the table knows who he is or cares. anyway finally he gets AA and wins a small pot and shows it down at the showdown like he's all brilliant and shiit.

anyway why are we talking about him did he die or something?

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyway why are we talking about him did he die or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't talking about him. No he didn't die, you did.

Vince

bones
11-23-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We aren't talking about him. No he didn't die, you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Face!

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:16 AM
ok you big bald worthless sack of crap whatever you say

ever meet up again with that son you left for poker?

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:18 AM
No Mike, that crap you smell is you decomposing.

Vince

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:20 AM
"No Mike, that crap you smell is you decomposing."

funny i thought it was the smell of your wasted life you mid life crisis loser freak. seriously, did your son turn to prostitution shortly after you left him for the 3-6 games of vegas or did it take awhile?

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:26 AM
does it get old for you walking around looking like prison trash in the 120 degree heat out there trolling for a new game to start so you can sneak in a few free hands?

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did your son turn to prostitution

[/ QUOTE ]

No that was your wife? BTW stupid I'm not in any crisis I'm retired. You? And I've never played 3-6 that must have been your dad that you thought was me when you were sipping the juice. Remember? Well knowing your family history I might be your dad. Is that why you asked if my son turned to prostitution, son? .

Vince

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:38 AM
yes dad it's all clear now. glad we figured that out.

god id kill for some of the juice right about now...

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:44 AM
anyway the insult i was trying to make was in regard to a post you made a long time ago where you said something about missing your son, or leaving for vegas, or something. when i do flame wars i can only do personal insults, the more personal and hurtful and cold the better. i cant do: "oh your a dummy" "oh no youre a bigger dummy" "no wait youre a puussy" "oh well youre a bigger pusssy" gets old fast. biographical info, actual physical traits, that's where it's at. having virtually no info on your i reached for whatever i could recall.

im fat in case you need some help for next time.

Boris
11-23-2005, 04:49 AM
remind me never to start a flame war with you.

mike l.
11-23-2005, 04:51 AM
your unflameable. youre too nice. when you coming down to commerce again we'll have a beer. i was there at like 4am this morning and the games were super.

Boris
11-23-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm gonna be down there this weekend. I'll give you a call.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyway the insult i was trying to make was in regard to a post you made a long time ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that when you were in some galaxy far far away? Did you say that you are fat? Wow, how bold of you.

I use the term dope and dummy when and where I feel they are appropriate. In your case they are always appropriate.

Since you seem to be giving up please have a beer at the Commerce on me. I'm sure you've had one on just about everybody else that plays at the commerce.

Vince

mike l.
11-23-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use the term dope and dummy when and where I feel they are appropriate. In your case they are always appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

dear mr. vince,

it has come to my attention that while you like to participate in flame wars, you are in fact not very good at it. i tried to give you a little help but your insults are still tired and aimless, as opposed to clever and mean. so i do resign from this one and am putting you back on ignore where you belong.

best wishes,
mike l.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so i do resign from this one and am putting you back on ignore

[/ QUOTE ]

Wuss!

Vince

mike l.
11-23-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely, but what do you think of raising the turn against this type of player?

mackthefork
11-23-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
god id kill for some of the juice right about now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope you're not talking in metaphors, right now.

Regards Mack

Smoothcall
11-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Nah just having some fun telling the readers what some of the famous poker players are like when the cameras are off sort of thing i guess. A behind the scenes look at the stars?? The readers seem to like them so i am continuing them.

Smoothcall
11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Nice story. Congrats on making the money on the cruise! Oh and that guys name is syracuse chris tspidals(wrong sp. but not even gonna attempt lol). Greek guy, been playing the cuircut for years.

11-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Great story!

DcifrThs
11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
good stories everybody.

i enjoying the flame war where vince got pwned a good deal too.

from where did that beef originate? i remember vince being an active good participant in mid/high archives when i was reading them....what happened?
Barron