PDA

View Full Version : 10.50 HU SnG- Raising to Get a Free Card with Bottom Pair

11-22-2005, 04:22 AM
I think this play may be +EV at low blind levels (I certainly could be wrong). The very important point to make here is that villain has to be very loose and very passive. On a board like this specific one, it helps if villain doesn't semibluff. Fortunately, these people are very common in Bodog 10.50 HU SnGs /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Villain has 825 and I cover. Blinds 15/30.

Hero calls on the button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Villain checks.

Pot = t60
Flop = 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain minbets.
Hero minraises /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Pot = t180
Turn = {8/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/club.gif}6/images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain checks.
Hero checks.

Pot = t180
River = {8/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/club.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif}2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain checks.
Hero bets t120.
Villain calls.

The idea behind this play is that against loose/passive villains, taking the lead away when you're drawing is very +EV. I play like this extremely frequently with better draws (OESD or flush draws) against this kind of opponent, but I suspect that it's even +EV with weaker hands like gutshots and bottom pair if villain is an ideal candidate.

Note that if I'm sure villain plays this way, I'm getting almost 6:1 on the minraise preflop to see two cards with what's likely a 5-outer. In hindsight, I think I should've overbet the river.

HesseJam
11-22-2005, 04:37 AM
If he is very passive and pays you off at the end, the line is good. What are you doing if he raises (or even reraises) the river here?

11-22-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you doing if he raises the river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played this hand earlier today, so I don't remember the actual villain. I started to type that this is usually an easy fold, but that's not actually true. I think I call this most of the time as a c/r could easily be top two pair or goofy overpair or a weird bluff. (Of course, specific villain and bet size and stuff matter a lot here, so it's hard to speak generally.)

This situation seems to be pretty rare, though. A more common and very frustrating situation is a flop mini-3-bet, which I've been instacalling. That spot really bugs me.

I haven't dealt with turn leads too often.

the shadow
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I rarely min-reraise, but like your line as an alternative to mix it up. I woulda bet more on the river. This line works only if you get good implied odds -- take advantage of it.

The Shadow

11-23-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I woulda bet more on the river. This line works only if you get good implied odds -- take advantage of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.