PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Satellite Radio and Howard Stern

MasterShakes
11-22-2005, 04:06 AM
I'm seriously thinking about getting Sirius satellite radio some time before Howard Stern makes the move over there on January 9. I just wanted to see if anybody here has it or is also thinking about getting it.

As far as I know, once you have all the equipment you need (which should cost less than $200), the radio is $12 a month.

Stern, according to what he said in an interview on Letterman within the last week, will apparently be programming at least a couple totally uncensored stations 24 hours a day.

I like radio, but local commercial radio (Cleveland) has gone swiftly downhill in the last ten years. I think Sirius has a lot to offer for somebody like me.

Thoughts?

shant
11-22-2005, 04:18 AM
A Sirius radio setup is on my Christmas list.

youtalkfunny
11-22-2005, 04:28 AM
I've had Sirius for about a year. It's unbelievably awesome.

We're buying one for my mother-in-law for Christmas, and not so she can listen to Howard. I was really hoping they'd have a massive promotion to get the millions of new subscribers needed to pay Stern, but they haven't yet. I bought mine last year, when they signed Stern; the promo was, subscribe for a year, get the $150 in hardware for free. I haven't heard any such deals offered yet.

Forget the monthly payments, buy a year up-front. I'd buy the lifetime package, but it would suck if they went under, buried by Howard's contract.

Biggest knock on Sirius: they don't have baseball. But they have NFL, NBA, NHL, and they get NASCAR in '07. You can choose which teams' broadcast to listen to. For example, tonight, you tune into the Green Bay announcers, or the Vikings announcers. Unfortunately, the signal bounces off so many satellites, it's way out of sync with the tv, so you can't listen to it while watching the game.

I have a tv and Sirius Boombox next to my computer. More often than not, the tv is off, and the Sirius is on.

Howard uncensored is going to be off the charts.

I'm a huge fan of "The Wiseguy Show", a bunch of old Italian guys busting each other's chops. Listen to it once, and it demonstrates that comedy with swearing is 100x funnier.

If you didn't know, you can pop it out of your car, and listen to it in the house (if you have the docking/antenna setup).

siccjay
11-22-2005, 04:37 AM
I will be doing this for sure. Stern will be awesome on Sirius.

thatpfunk
11-22-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A Sirius radio setup is on my Christmas list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a really, really good idea. Thanks!

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Is there a TIVO for sirius?

FouTight
11-22-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a TIVO for sirius?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a new player which will record programming so you can listen to it at a later time. It's portable, you can't listen to the satellite portably, but mp3's and prerecorded satellite you can.

pokerdirty
11-22-2005, 09:57 AM
has anyone seen the commercial for this in the movies? hilarious, i'll try and find it.

link to commercial (http://www.howardstern.com/archives/email/)

cwsiggy
11-22-2005, 11:26 AM
I like Stern but Opie and Anthony on XM are waaaaaay better.

vexvelour
11-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Shakes-

I installed Sirius in my car about 2 weeks ago. I have yet to listen to a CD because there is always something good on. Sometimes I drive to school in shock because I heard some song I haven't heard in like 10 years. It's amazing.

As for $200, that's if you want professional installation. I bought the $80 DIY kit and put it in my RX8, and it looks great and I hid the wires really well. It's just a magnetic antenna and a plug for the lighter socket with a head unit. The great thing about this one is I can rip it off the velcro (they give you these weird things to attach to your car but velcro works just fine for me) and stick it in the console and hide it from view. I can also just unplug it, and bring the unit inside and stick it into a special Sirius radio and play it inside too. Just an idea.

But def get this...it's amazing.

trotski
11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
This is on my x-mas list as well. Not only for Stern, but NFL games and such. I didn't know about the DIY kit Vex, thanks for the heads up.

youtalkfunny
11-23-2005, 07:05 AM
If I bought a new car stereo, I wouldn't be willing/able to install it.

But installing Sirius in the car is simple. You aren't running wires to your speakers, that signal is sent wirelessly. Like Lex said, just the antenna to the roof (under the running boards, out the back seat to the trunk, and up to the roof), and plug the power cord into the lighter.

11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had Sirius for about a year. It's unbelievably awesome.

Biggest knock on Sirius: they don't have baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree. I'd pay double the monthly fee.

Robbe
11-23-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd pay double the monthly fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

That works just fine... Then you would have Sirius AND XM.

Reqtech
11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Stern but Opie and Anthony on XM are waaaaaay better.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Howard invented and pioneered satelite radio. Tell em Fred! Hoo hoo Robin.

cognito20
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm definitely getting Sirius once Stern moves there, but I have to say, they are risking their entire company on this one signing. If you're going to pay somebody 500 MILLION dollars when your total stockholder equity is only $750 million, you're going under if it doesn't work. Good luck to them. They needed to do something to make up market share on XM though, and I can't think of too much better to do that in radio than getting Stern.

--Scott