PDA

View Full Version : An interesting situation (or not)

haakee
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
I played an $8-16 hand yesterday where a loose-aggressive player open-raised all-in preflop to $16 from middle position. It was folded to me on the big blind. I had J4o, called and flipped over my cards. His A9o won unimproved. Several people (nowhere near 2+2 caliber players) at the table know me as a tight player and were amazed to see me flip over the J4o. It's pretty clear to me that this call was correct (anybody disagree?). I didn't try to explain to anyone why I called, I just pointed in front of me and said, "Half price!"

That hand along with one other hand (where I played a small pocket pair very aggressively against 2 players and hit a set on the river) really helped my image for that session I hit a bunch of big hands and was constantly getting called down (or bet into) by several people.

Buckshot
07-01-2003, 10:04 AM
IMHO, I don't think there's anything wrong with your call from the BB. I probably wouldn't even look at my cards and make the call, but that's me. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

~stephen

Philuva
07-01-2003, 10:20 AM
I think it is an easy call given that you are getting 3.5 to 1 on your call. Here are the odds on some hands against your J4o:
A9o: 1.8 - 1
AKo: 2.2 - 1
99: 2.6 - 1
AA: 8 - 1

Only if he has a QQ - AA are you getting crushed.