PDA

View Full Version : Heard of reverse tells? Here's a Phil H "reverse whine"

Easy E
06-30-2003, 04:25 PM
My favorite CP writer's latest article- I clipped the end of it:

"There were no tantrums, and no whining (for once!); I left the WSOP acting like a man who is blessed.

Yes, I believed I deserved better, but I can’t complain to the powers that be over this, with everything else that is going my way. After all, I didn’t have to take the 4.5-to-1 favorite. I could have folded my Q-Q, even knowing that Jason had J-J. In 2002, after playing no big pots in three days, I could have folded my A-K suited vs. Varkonyi’s Q-10 for a $220,000 pot. And in 2001, after playing no big pots in five days, I could have folded my 9-9 vs. Phil Gordon’s 6-6 for a $1.2 million pot.

There is no law that says you have to play a big pot, even if you have a strong feeling (“know”) that your opponent is weak.

The last thing is this: I really believe that if someone deserves better, eventually he will get it! Look out at the Big One next year, for Phil Hellmuth Jr. will win the 2004 World Series of Poker, despite 1,000 or more other entrants."

I guess I have to give Phil credit for two things:
1) He does have a nice self-marketing skill- I mean, here I am helping him AGAIN

2) He has an amazing ability to disassociate his words from his claimed thought processes.... or he is so blind to his ego that he thinks what he writes doesn't have to jibe with what he claims he is "saying".

However, he REALLY needs to learn to let the past go (you'd think a "pro" player would have learned that lesson a LONG time ago).

This line was my favorite, I think, in refuting the first sentence of Phil's written claim: "There is no law that says you have to play a big pot"

I think, if I had any significant money to "waste" on it, I might have to book bets at 10:1 that Phil "No, I really DON'T think I'm the Favored Son of Poker" Hellmuth will NOT win the WSOP in the next THREE years.... well, that is if Doyle and Ted aren't around to dump chips off to him.

(WARNING- for anyone not good at sardonic/sarcastic replies- the "dump chips" comment was NOT serious. Don't ask me about it)

Easy "President of the PH Club" E

Zele
06-30-2003, 04:42 PM

mike l.
06-30-2003, 10:12 PM
that someone is making money writing article after article that just amounts to a series of boring bad beat stories is amazing isnt it?

for my money (and thank god for them their rag's free) you just cant beat max shapiro and his barstow card room adventures. second place goes to the lowball guy with the crazy hat, still plugging away on how to play a smooth ten and when to break your rough eight all that sort of completely obsolete almost meaningless stuff, i really get into it. id be a great lowball player if i ever have the guts to step into that 30-60 lowball table at commerce.