PDA

View Full Version : $11, Made Nut Flush, How much value bet?

11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey everyone,

Check this one out:

- Made the flop call putting Villian on a K, giving me 12 outs. Sound reasonable?

- Made flush on the turn. Not much to be afriad of here except the potentially horrifying paired board. Smooth call here?

- Okay, so let's assume Villain can't beat a flush. I feel he definitely folds to a push. Size of this bet make sense given my stack size?

- More generally, when you feel your good on the river and that Villan has some kind of hand, what kind of thoughts go through your mind when you're value betting?

As always, thanks in advance for any comments.

--Anthony

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB (t1675)
Hero (t1445)
UTG (t2520)
UTG+1 (t2395)
MP1 (t2480)
MP2 (t470)
CO (t1555)
Button (t960)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO calls t100.

Flop: (t325) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t1125) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150.

River: (t1425) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>,

jeffraider
11-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I'd normally just check preflop, or raise it up to 200. I'm not a big fan of pricing opponents into pots when I'm out of position.

Your flop bet is fine but I don't like "putting Villian on a K" because who the hell knows what he has? He could have a K, two pair, a set, a lower flush draw, a straight draw, etc. Unless you've got lots of time in with this guy I don't see why you'd just put him on a K.

I'd normally raise the turn here to about 450 or so because you're OOP on the river. He's still getting good odds to call your bet.

I'd push the river the way you played it because you're giving him 3:1 to call, it looks like a steal, and I don't think he folds top pair to you or anything with so much money in the pot. I don't know how you "feel he definitely folds to a push". Where do you get this stuff from?

11-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm admittedly a very very new beginner and have a lot to learn.

As for the river bet, I'm just putting myself in his shoes, I feel like a push on the river after flat calling the turn would be responded to with a fold.

I need to focus more on position when betting, especially preflop.

jeffraider
11-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Good man! Basically here are two bits of general advice I can offer to you to help you along.

1) Position is super important. Like super duper duper important, so base your preflop play on your postflop position as much as is reasonable.

2) Don't put people on a single hand, put them on a range of hands. This is very tricky and takes experience and lots of studying but it'll come in time, and you might as well get started right away.