View Full Version : stupid ace hits every time

kurosh
11-22-2005, 12:28 AM
3-handed 5/10. This is my first hand.

Button raises, SB calls, I 3-bet JJ, button caps, call call.

Flop 8 6 3 r
SB checks, I bet, call, SB folds.

Turn: A completing the rainbow.

Check fold? Check call down? Bet fold? Bet call and fold to a river bet?

flawless_victory
11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
start out by betting.

kurosh
11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
And what's the plan if he raises?

TStoneMBD
11-22-2005, 12:34 AM
checkraise the flop

i checkcalldown from the turn. this is way too good of a card for the opponent to make a free showdown play with and you have very little value in a bet anyway. there arent a whole lot of pairs below yours that youre ahead of and there are a few pairs above you that he might have. a pair below jacks will often fold after the ace hits anyway and you gain more value out of those times when he tries to bet you off your hand. this is especially true if he has a small pair like 7s.

flawless_victory
11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And what's the plan if he raises?

[/ QUOTE ]woah.
i didnt even notice the guy capped it pre, im sry.
why did not for the checkraise on the flop... i understand you wanted to get three in, but checkraise here is clear. capper is betting this flop.

as the hand was played i bet all the way and most likely call down if i get raised on turn, and fold if i get raised on river.

kurosh
11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Why CR flop? If SB has overs, I want button to raise and knock him out.

TStoneMBD
11-22-2005, 12:49 AM
-the capper wont always raise with a hand that is behind.
-the sb wont always have 6 clean overs
-you might as well a certain 2bets rather than only getting 2 sometimes
-the sb will sometimes call the buttons bet with a hand you want paying 2 bets to see the turn when he would have folded
-sometimes you checkraise and the buttton 3bets a weaker hand forcing the sb to fold and you collect his 1sb investment

the bottom line is that making the small blind fold overs is only marginally better than him paying 2 bets anyway. the small blind wont always have overs and the advantages of a checkraise in the majority of all situations far outweigh the advantage of getting the sb to fold overs.

there will be more times when the button bets on the button, the sb calls with a non6 outter when he would have folded to a checkraise then the times that you lead, the button raises a weaker hand and the sb folds. also note that the value you get on the small blind calling 2 bets with a weaker hand is more than the value you lose by the small blind proceding with 6 clean overs.

also note that the sb didnt 3bet preflop which makes it highly unlikely that he is holding QK, AK, or AQ.

Entity
11-22-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why CR flop? If SB has overs, I want button to raise and knock him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the Button caps preflop and you lead an 863 flop, he's not raising AK very often at all.

Rob

TStoneMBD
11-22-2005, 12:54 AM
also note that if the button raises your flop bet with AK that you want the SB calling with clean overs since it means hes drawing to 3 outs at best.

kurosh
11-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Good points.

Lmn55d
11-22-2005, 12:58 AM
nice

Surfbullet
11-22-2005, 04:31 AM
I was going to type up a big explanation but i decided to use the "refresh" button first to see if anyone had written what I was thinking already.

Tstone beat me to it, and entity added the one comment I thought to add as well. Good work, guys. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Surf