PDA

View Full Version : this is an easy push right? 10+1

11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Still a newbie here...I put the villian on at most ace high...is this still correct?

Villian here had taken to min rasing the last few hands

100/200 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 17616545) - Mon Nov 21 22:12:41 EST 2005
Table Table 66957 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 2: Hero (515)
Seat 3: bob358 (505)
Seat 4: HighAce85 (1310)
Seat 7: baitfishing (1960)
Seat 8: A_MARKO (1505)
Seat 9: mdterpn (1110)
Seat 10: Brock528 (1095)
bob358 posts small blind (50)
HighAce85 posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qd, Kd ]
baitfishing folds.
A_MARKO folds.
mdterpn folds.
Brock528 raises (200) to 200
Hero raises (515) to 515

Shilly
11-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I would push. I don't expect that you're in a GREAT spot a lot of the time, but your new stack should put you in contention. It's one of those spots where you don't really expect to be really far ahead and you expect to get called, but your stack if you win will be effective.

pokerponcho
11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
You're an underdog to any ace. But not much of an underdog except to AK AQ AA KK QQ. Since you hold the KQ in your hand there are 8 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 3 = 28 combos working against you. That's not so bad given that he opted to raise just the minimum from the cut-off position. I'd push here but I'm not exactly thrilled to have to go to a showdown with this.

11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would push. I don't expect that you're in a GREAT spot a lot of the time, but your new stack should put you in contention. It's one of those spots where you don't really expect to be really far ahead and you expect to get called, but your stack if you win will be effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my thought too...if I had a larger stack or the blinds were less, I'd normally dump the hand, right?

Shilly
11-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I might dump with 6+ BB.

bluef0x
11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Easy push in a 11... I think they fold a nice 75%+ of the time when you push. Somehow they love to minraise on the button or SB with any 2 cards and will fold to a push.

pokerponcho
11-22-2005, 12:32 AM
I know what your saying. But at this stage a minimum raise from the cut-off is almost certainly a weak hand attacking the blinds. Your hand is likely good and if it isn't it probably isn't that far behind. KQs v A7 is about 46%. I don't think you're finding a better spot than this.

xJMPx
11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somehow they love to minraise on the button or SB with any 2 cards and will fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little surprised everyone so far would push this. This raise is coming from the CO, not the button or SB which gives it a little more strength. Also, the HERO is on the button with nothing invested in the pot.

I find that people fold here much less than 75% and this person is not dropping any pocket pair or almost any A for the most part at the 11s. Also, the min-raise doesn't really mean anything without a read, as it seems to be pretty standard for most players at the lower levels.

To make my decision on whether to push/fold this I need to know how the table has been acting. Are steal opportunties few and far between, because you can open push with ~50% of hands from the cutoff when you have about 5xBB and it will be >+0.5EV. If the table has been raising every hand, I push. If the table is passive, I might wait and hope for a better spot.

pokerponcho
11-22-2005, 01:21 AM
I was wondering the same thing on wether steal opportunities are few and far between. But with 500 and change left and 150 going in each round and you're up in the biggie (big blind) in a few hands... it's not likely that you're going to get away with much stealing.

Next hand you'll be in the cut-off and then there are 3 people who can pick-up a hand and can catch your steal. The hand after that 4 people can catch you. And after that 5 people can catch you. A showdown seems inevitable. And this hand/situation is better than most.

xJMPx
11-22-2005, 02:33 AM
So, I played around with SNGPT and this is what I found.

-I assumed that he would call your re-raise with 22+,A2s+,A2o+,KT+.
-I treated it as though he pushed and looked at the calling range required for it to be +0.5 $EV.

What I found is that you need to be winning right around 50% of the time for this to meet the +0.5 $EV. That said, KQs wins about 46% of the time against the range I gave above. Add to this the FE you have for hands outside of that range and now pushing seems like the better option to me aswell.

I'm going to re-examine how weakly I play KQ in the future.