PDA

View Full Version : Technical Information Behind Multitabling

11-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Hello, if this is not the right thread, I apologize.

When using multiple monitors (21" CRT for a cheap-o like myself) what am I going to need, aside from the monitors themself? Windows XP I presume? Will a 1200 ghz with 64 or 128mb of ram do the trick? Do I need dual video cards like a sales guy told me? Do I need a really good video card?

I am lost! Please help!

11-21-2005, 11:09 PM
there are a lot of "dual head" graphics cards that will work. You don't really need more than 1 graphic card until you want 3+ monitors.

11-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I suppose I should have been more specific I am interested in the requirements for 2 monitors and 4 monitors, 8 tables and 16 respectively.

Am I right in thinking that each 21" CRT should show 4 tables from most sites without trouble?

A dual head graphics card will work for two monitors? Is this expensive?

11-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Dual heads are more or less the standard now, so they're not necessarily expensive. Newegg.com has some for $30 on up. 1600x1200 is what a 21" should be able to do and that should fit 4 tables. 2 dual heads will get you 4 monitors.

11-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Do I need any software?

11-22-2005, 12:39 AM
nope

MrMoo
11-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Let me see if I can cover most of your questions.

-- Windows XP is not necessary. Most operating systems support multiple monitors.

-- The numbers you provided for system specs are likely wrong. I'm guessing you mean 1.2GHz which will be fine. Multiple monitors is not dependent on processor speed. As for the ram, 64-128MB seems unsually small for todays computers. Multiple monitors is also not dependent on ram. But, playing poker is. If you're running 8-16 tables and possibly Poker Tracker and PokerAce, you'll likely need a lot more ram. Fortunately ram is pretty cheap currently. I'd recommend purchasing 512MB to start with and upgrading if the system performs slowly. I personally run 1GB of ram (2x 512MB's).

-- You will either need a dual head video card, or multiple video cards. For each monitor you wish to support, you'll need one monitor output port. You can accomplish this whatever way you please. You might get a dual head card which has two monitor output ports or just use multiple video cards which have only a single monitor output port.

-- Supporting 4 tables per monitor is not dependent upon the actual size of the monitor. It's dependent upon the resolution. To support 4 tables per monitor without overlap you need a run at a resolution of 1600x1200. Your monitor will need to support this resolution and your video card(s) will also need to be able to output that resolution. You'll need to verify that the items you purchase can support this before you continue.

-- Your motherboard can have a big effect on finding the best answer for you. Different motherboards support different ways of connecting a video card into your computer. Typically these types are PCI, AGP and PCI-express. What video card you purchase will depend on what connector your motherboard has. Another complexity can be that most motherboards have a limited number of these connectors. So this can be more difficult than just simply purchasing two video card. You also have to make sure your motherboard will accept them.

I don't intend to be rude but by reading your email I get the impression that you're not very familiar computers. It's hard to give you more precise advice without knowing more details about your computer and exactly what you wish to do (2 monitors vs. 4 monitors). This can be a very expensive endeavour so I'd highly recommend you find someone competent to help you with this before you invest money. Particularly, I wouldn't listen to a computer store employee who was only selling you parts and not a complete solution.

11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me see if I can cover most of your questions.

-- Windows XP is not necessary. Most operating systems support multiple monitors.

-- The numbers you provided for system specs are likely wrong. I'm guessing you mean 1.2GHz which will be fine. Multiple monitors is not dependent on processor speed. As for the ram, 64-128MB seems unsually small for todays computers. Multiple monitors is also not dependent on ram. But, playing poker is. If you're running 8-16 tables and possibly Poker Tracker and PokerAce, you'll likely need a lot more ram. Fortunately ram is pretty cheap currently. I'd recommend purchasing 512MB to start with and upgrading if the system performs slowly. I personally run 1GB of ram (2x 512MB's).

-- You will either need a dual head video card, or multiple video cards. For each monitor you wish to support, you'll need one monitor output port. You can accomplish this whatever way you please. You might get a dual head card which has two monitor output ports or just use multiple video cards which have only a single monitor output port.

-- Supporting 4 tables per monitor is not dependent upon the actual size of the monitor. It's dependent upon the resolution. To support 4 tables per monitor without overlap you need a run at a resolution of 1600x1200. Your monitor will need to support this resolution and your video card(s) will also need to be able to output that resolution. You'll need to verify that the items you purchase can support this before you continue.

-- Your motherboard can have a big effect on finding the best answer for you. Different motherboards support different ways of connecting a video card into your computer. Typically these types are PCI, AGP and PCI-express. What video card you purchase will depend on what connector your motherboard has. Another complexity can be that most motherboards have a limited number of these connectors. So this can be more difficult than just simply purchasing two video card. You also have to make sure your motherboard will accept them.

I don't intend to be rude but by reading your email I get the impression that you're not very familiar computers. It's hard to give you more precise advice without knowing more details about your computer and exactly what you wish to do (2 monitors vs. 4 monitors). This can be a very expensive endeavour so I'd highly recommend you find someone competent to help you with this before you invest money. Particularly, I wouldn't listen to a computer store employee who was only selling you parts and not a complete solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you could think I would be offended by ANYTHING you had to say after that post... this is an incredible wealth of information. Thank you very much! You guys are pretty awesome. Thank you.