PDA

View Full Version : If you're a Canadian whore...

ChuckyB
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
dear God set up your Neteller account in US$.

Neteller dings you about 2% for conversion in any deposit from/withdrawal to a CDN$ Neteller account.

With a US$ account you would get dinged for a withdrawal to your bank account, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, you could deposit money to Party Poker, and take a withdrawal to your account from them (no conversion fee attached.)

If you're whoring, a US$ Neteller account is the best move you'll ever make.

Peter666
11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I have a US checking Account at my Canadian bank that could not be used for direct transfers to Neteller. Is this a common experience, or am I being screwed more than usual by the banks?

11-22-2005, 12:12 AM
My original neteller account was in CDN funds but when I realized how silly this was I created a new US one.

Eder
11-22-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a US checking Account at my Canadian bank that could not be used for direct transfers to Neteller. Is this a common experience, or am I being screwed more than usual by the banks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...dumb as it sounds you can only verify CAN$ account...

MrBlueNose
11-22-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My original neteller account was in CDN funds but when I realized how silly this was I created a new US one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep me too. It was crazy the amount I was losing.

Peter666
11-22-2005, 02:32 AM
So I am supposing that you guys actually have bank accounts within the US, because as Eder said, we can only verify Canadian accounts (in Canada). True?

kong98
11-22-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm Canadian, my bank account is Canadian (in Canadian $$), and my neteller account is in USD. They give you the option of what currency to use when you sign up. I also had no problems verifying my bank account. (President's Choice Financial)

Lastly, I've read in the past that if you contact them, you can have your account changed to a US account.

Good luck!

TheBob
11-22-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, I've read in the past that if you contact them, you can have your account changed to a US account.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried asking them to change it and they said that I'd have to create a new account.

11-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Canadians should set up Neteller accounts in USD, because most of the activity will be to move money in and out of poker sites (which don't have CDN$ tables, obviously).

But for some reason, either Neteller or the Canadian banks do not allow linkage with US Dollar accounts at Canadian banks (US Dollar accounts are offered by all major Canadian banks; many Canadians have them).

So every time there is a transfer between the registered Canadian account (CDN) and Neteller (USD) there are currency exchange fees involved.

If you are not in a hurry to use the money, checks sent by Neteller in US funds are a good option. You can deposit them into your US dollar account without a problem. I've done this twice and have received the checks by mail in 7 days both times. Neteller takes a $2 fee for each check, so a $1000 USD check gets dinged with only a 0.2% fee (i.e. 2/1000 = = .002).

When I need to convert US cash to CDN, I trade them with friends and family (who often need US money). We use the current market rates and avoid all fees.

ChuckyB
11-22-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried asking them to change it and they said that I'd have to create a new account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to go through that too. The big problem is that you have to re-deposit to sites if you want to withdraw from them.

To withdraw the email address you have on the poker site has to match the one on your Neteller account.

Neteller only allows one account per email account.

So...
1) I signed up for a new email on Yahoo.
2) Changed my CDN$ Neteller account to that email address.
3) Opened a US$ Neteller account with the email address I have listed on all the poker sites.
4) Called Neteller during regular business hours, and they can transfer the balance.

You'll get dinged for their currency conversion, but it's just a one-time thing. If you're whoring, you'll save big in the long run.

OldLearner
11-22-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are not in a hurry to use the money, checks sent by Neteller in US funds are a good option. You can deposit them into your US dollar account without a problem. I've done this twice and have received the checks by mail in 7 days both times. Neteller takes a $2 fee for each check, so a $1000 USD check gets dinged with only a 0.2% fee (i.e. 2/1000 = = .002).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do. I get my cheques usually within 3 working days.

JohnnyHumongous
11-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Have the money mailed to you in a check from Neteller. That way you duck the 2% fee going into your Canadian bank. If you want it the next day it only costs $11 flat fee so take out your money in 3-5K chunks (or more) and you'll hardly pay anything at all for the service. Then deposit it into your USD-denominated account.

Runner Runner
11-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I always do my withdrawals by cheque from neteller, and then I get it in cold hard american cash at the bank. I then proceed to cross the border and pump it into the Minnesota/North Dakota economies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eder
11-22-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do. I get my cheques usually within 3 working days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just deposit to Party/Empire then EFT it to my bank at no cost a few times/year. Amounts were never more than 5k...dunno if higher amounts would be a prob.

11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
hey, good to see some canadian whores. do you think we have more or less per capita?... but gosh, i want to do so much commerce online but the whole shipping (black sheep) thing is ludicrous.

this is way off-topic, but do you know if priceline.com accepts canadian addresses yet? i know there were some ways around it (american express better than visa, for example)

someone suggested opening a bank account in the USA (getting a USA credit card), but i have to figure post 9-11 (And maybe before too), that's a huge no-no!!

ChuckyB
11-28-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always do my withdrawals by cheque from neteller, and then I get it in cold hard american cash at the bank. I then proceed to cross the border and pump it into the Minnesota/North Dakota economies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a fellow Winnipegger

tenth
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Another one here as well.

Luckily I found out about the whole conversion cost thing before i had deposited any money into Neteller, so the switch to American dollars was free. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

raze
11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Im from Ottawa - I came to my senses last week and re-opened my Neteller in USD. No hassle with Neteller, but you DO lose your Netpoints if that concerns you - so use em before you close down. The only hassle with a Neteller changeover is with the poker sites. I had to close all my Crypto accounts and re-open with new Neteller Account#, and now I have to wait 5-10 biz days for them to transfer my old account funds... Will Hill required an official letter from Neteller + driver's license scan from me. Absolute took the intelligent route and simply CHANGED MY 12-DIGIT ACCOUNT NUMBER lol

11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

I have nothing to add to this thread besides that.

11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im from Ottawa - I came to my senses last week and re-opened my Neteller in USD. No hassle with Neteller, but you DO lose your Netpoints if that concerns you - so use em before you close down. The only hassle with a Neteller changeover is with the poker sites. I had to close all my Crypto accounts and re-open with new Neteller Account#, and now I have to wait 5-10 biz days for them to transfer my old account funds... Will Hill required an official letter from Neteller + driver's license scan from me. Absolute took the intelligent route and simply CHANGED MY 12-DIGIT ACCOUNT NUMBER lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically asked them to transfer my points and it wasn't a problem.

raze
12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
good call - I will do the same