PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to poser-indy-music-scenesters

bad beetz
11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
When you say, “the Go-Go’s are gay…”

What you are really saying is the following….

“There is nothing truly individual about me. I feel the need to be different. I’m going go about this by looking different than everyone else, and finding music that no one else likes and then claim that I love it. I’ll devote the rest of my effort to actively hating anything popular.”

Belinda Carlisle rocks out. The music is so simple and wonderful. If you think it doesn’t rock, what you are really thinking is the above……

You should be jettisoned into the sun, along with Skinny Puppy, The Smiths, and Metal Church.

shant
11-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Why do people argue over things like music or movies? Doesn't it all come down to personal preference?

jacki
[ QUOTE ]
The Smiths

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right on until this part.

Godfather80
[ QUOTE ]
When you say, “the Go-Go’s are gay…”

What you are really saying is the following….

“There is nothing truly individual about me. I feel the need to be different. I’m going go about this by looking different than everyone else, and finding music that no one else likes and then claim that I love it. I’ll devote the rest of my effort to actively hating anything popular.”

Belinda Carlisle rocks out. The music is so simple and wonderful. If you think it doesn’t rock, what you are really thinking is the above……

You should be jettisoned into the sun, along with Skinny Puppy, The Smiths, and Metal Church.

[/ QUOTE ]

So current, so topical, how do you keep up with the fast paced music industry trends?

ThaSaltCracka
11-21-2005, 10:53 PM
hey old man, who are the Go-Go's?

IndieMatty
11-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Is this an archived post or something?

What this generation knows about the Go-Go's is whatever VH1 has chosen to show on Behind the Music, and from what I can see from that, they are most definitely not gay. Sluts maybe, but not gay.

imported_anacardo
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
I have no idea why this was posted.

I have no idea how this guy has made it to 1250+ posts.

ilya
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
don't be afraid of hipsters, they're just like you & me!

ilya
11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people argue over things like music or movies? Doesn't it all come down to personal preference?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may, but the implications of that are just so depressing.

Seriously though, I think that communities argue about art in order to define & understand themselves better. Whether it makes sense to talk about one piece of art as being Better than another is an incredibly difficult question, but people(s) can still learn a lot about themselves by examining why this or that piece of art appears to them to be better, & even by examining their understanding of "better."

Plus it's fun.

Klepton
11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
i see an asterisk in your future.

Jack of Arcades
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Skinny Puppy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
11-21-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think you are jumping to conclusions.

Soul Daddy
11-21-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Smiths

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cancer Merchant
11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, beauty is absolute, our puny human minds can not conceive how it could be otherwise!

Truth must be the same way. Have you accepted the One True God?

Ugh. Pompous prats, the lot of them.

daryn
11-21-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't know who bad beetz is? stfu n00b

IndieMatty
11-21-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i see an asterisk in your future.

[/ QUOTE ]

No

B Dids
11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
TOO MUCH DISSING NOT ENOUGH RING KISSING.

bad beatz rules and is the best poster than has apparently rejoined the board in the past two months.

Homer
11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11-21-2005, 11:20 PM
But the go go's are gay.

bdk3clash
11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. My tastes in music, movies, and books are pretty clearly better than those of most people I've come across.

bdk3clash
11-22-2005, 12:13 AM
BTW thank you for having the nerve to stand up for the Go Gos and to to stand against the relentless bashing of them as gay by poser (sic) indy (sic) music scenesters.

jacki
11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your favorite band sucks.

Sephus
11-22-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, beauty is absolute, our puny human minds can not conceive how it could be otherwise!

Truth must be the same way. Have you accepted the One True God?

Ugh. Pompous prats, the lot of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's just like, your opinion, man.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ain't part of your [censored]' crew. My sample size is this post. It's incomprehensibly dumb, and I'll stack the subtlety of my sense of humor up against any of you strutting East Coast bustaz. I'm hardly the Judge or the Jury, but give me five good reasons why I should give this stream-of-consciousness rant on the are-you-[censored]-kidding-me Go-Gos? the time of day. Let's go, boys. OOT Cliques Thread redux? You don't want that dragon on your back again, do you Matty? Rec'a'nize!

Soul Daddy
11-22-2005, 01:18 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/soul_daddy/pipe.jpg

I've been stocking up, g.

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Some people (like me) are very particular in their tastes in music and find most (at least 99.5%) of popular music lacking in a myriad of ways. If fact it has gotten so bad that most of it isn't just bad but unlistenable. When asked my opinion on it by someone, I give it and I don't hold back. This is in line with my honest nature. Most of the music I like (that has been written in the last ten years that is) is unknown by a very large majority of people. I use every opportunity to introduce the uninitiated to my favorites in an attempt to open a new wonderful world for whomever to enjoy.

Am I a poser-indy-music-scenester?

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/soul_daddy/pipe.jpg

I've been stocking up, g.

[/ QUOTE ]

MAH NIGGAZ! HIT THEM PIPES!

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to check out the original Crimson challenge. Look for a Karate Kung Fu kick and you will find the answer to your query.

nolanfan34
11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bad beatz rules and is the best poster than has apparently rejoined the board in the past two months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I don't remember bad beetz until recently, but this guy knows how to OOT.

daryn
11-22-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stack the subtlety of my sense of humor up against any of you strutting East Coast bustaz.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: San Franisco [sic]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurotrash
11-22-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ain't part of your [censored]' crew. My sample size is this post. It's incomprehensibly dumb, and I'll stack the subtlety of my sense of humor up against any of you strutting East Coast bustaz. I'm hardly the Judge or the Jury, but give me five good reasons why I should give this stream-of-consciousness rant on the are-you-[censored]-kidding-me Go-Gos? the time of day. Let's go, boys. OOT Cliques Thread redux? You don't want that dragon on your back again, do you Matty? Rec'a'nize!

[/ QUOTE ]

bad beetz will not get an asterisk for this because his posts are just plain good. not to mention, he was one of the people who got the original Crimson challenges off the ground. he did the camera work, then demolished a stick of butter for the sake of our entertainment.

plus, this original post is great. it's making all of the hipsters red with anger and that is funny [censored]. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boris
11-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Great point bro. Don't listen to the haters in this thread.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 01:30 AM
The "East Coast Bustaz" are hereby defined as:

Daryn
El Diablo
Matty

and your local affiliated vassals. This will be the lawful name of you and your crew, from now down through the ages into perpetuity, or until the Last Trump calls us home.

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It always starts with someone trying to get another to appreciate a style that that person doesn't like. I am very guilty of this. However, I have taken 8 people who claimed that they would never like Dave Matthews Band and turned them into hardcore DMB fans. This has benefited me greatly by allowing me to play DMB music around them and going to concerts with some of them. I will continue to be annoying when it occasionally pays off.

daryn
11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
n00b

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
n00b

[/ QUOTE ]

Back on up, baby, back on up. Do I have to flash my creds again? The cream of OOT wisdom and The Triforce behind me, and you think I'm the nigga to steal on? Best checkit.

(The blow-up doll thread is [censored] genius, of course. "Best Buddy" is pretty lame, as is "running red light." I see a dude who gets [censored] up a lot and does [censored] up [censored]. There's always a place for that guy, but you ain't exactly gotta walk up Kilimanjaro to find one around here, y'know? As for Crimson Challenge - nigga, please. That [censored] mighta had legs if you hadn't beat it into the ground in Week One.)

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As for Crimson Challenge - nigga, please. That [censored] mighta had legs if you hadn't beat it into the ground in Week One.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more about being willing to do the filming and really being responsible for getting the Crimson Challenge series started. The good quality of the video and sudden step up to the butter challenge are icing on the cake. You have to give respect when respect is earned. Quality of post are subjective but organizing an OOT event is clearly objectivly noteworthy.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 02:24 AM
Okay, organizing an OOT event = always good. Mad propz. But I don't care about guys eating butter, or karate-kicking, or anyathat [censored]. (Paladino WAS mildly enjoyable.) Stupid prop bet productions like that just aren't funny or exciting or anything like that to me. Again, I stand on my rep for knowing what is and isn't funny.

razor
11-22-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Daryn
El Diablo
Matty

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, I guess geography isn't one of your strengths...

jokerthief
11-22-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, organizing an OOT event = always good. Mad propz. But I don't care about guys eating butter, or karate-kicking, or anyathat [censored]. (Paladino WAS mildly enjoyable.) Stupid prop bet productions like that just aren't funny or exciting or anything like that to me. Again, I stand on my rep for knowing what is and isn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, don't be a comedy snob. Stupid is sometimes very funny. I recommend you watch Inside the Actors Studio with Mike Meyers. He speaks very intelligently about this (it's also an uberfunny episode)

thatpfunk
11-22-2005, 02:34 AM
gee, this post was a stunning display of originality. seriously, ive never heard someone make these same complaints, you should write a book or something.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Daryn
El Diablo
Matty

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I guess geography isn't one of your strengths...

[/ QUOTE ]

FINE. El D lives someplace else. Maybe SF. I'unno. [censored]. He's certainly in NYC a lot. He can be an Honorary Busta.

Goddamn it. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

IN ANY CASE. None of this has any effect on what is and isn't funny, and what does and doesn't constitute a good post.

IndieMatty
11-22-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I stand on my rep for knowing what is and isn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really like Monty Python a lot too right?

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some. I ain't about to compile a list.

IndieMatty
11-22-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some. I ain't about to compile a list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, confused you with someone else. Carry on my wayward son.

Ulysses
11-22-2005, 03:29 AM
1. anacardo is one of my fave posters, because he is not a groupthink pussy.

2. I live in San Francisco.

3. bad beetz is incorrect. Many poser-indy-music-scenesters are very pro-Go-Gos. This is because they realized that many poser-indy-music-scenesters were very anti-Go-Gos, and thus reacted accordingly.

Ulysses
11-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Another solid post, anacardo. BTW, this is why we are giving the Crimson Challenge a little bit of a breather. The re-launch will take things to the next level.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 03:31 AM
1. If you love me so god-damned much talk to your peeps (read: everybody) and get my star rubbed out. PUT DOWN THE SAUCE ASTRO.
2. You sure [censored] TALK about NYC like you live there. Teleportation must be a sweet deal.
3. WHO GIVES A GOD-DAMN ABOUT THE GO-GOS?! WHAT THE [censored]? HOW CAN THIS BE A CONVERSATION?

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Certain of your... designs... re: the Crimson Challenges displease me. I will under no circumstances elaborate, but I think my bone of contention will blow over without consequence.

daryn
11-22-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. If you love me so god-damned much talk to your peeps (read: everybody) and get my star rubbed out. PUT DOWN THE SAUCE ASTRO.
2. You sure [censored] TALK about NYC like you live there. Teleportation must be a sweet deal.
3. WHO GIVES A GOD-DAMN ABOUT THE GO-GOS?! WHAT THE [censored]? HOW CAN THIS BE A CONVERSATION?

[/ QUOTE ]

another asterisk plz astro

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will crush you. I will crush what you love. Shiva guides my right hand; Lucifer, my left. Better back the [censored] up 'fore you get smacked the [censored] up.

daryn
11-22-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will crush you. I will crush what you love. Shiva guides my right hand; Lucifer, my left. Better back the [censored] up 'fore you get smacked the [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

100/200 HU???

thatpfunk
11-22-2005, 03:48 AM
are you high?

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
100/200 HU???

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, get the [censored] outta here. 45-touch, three-weapon fencing relay? One-on-one line-blocking drills? Civil War trivia challenge? Some other random [censored] that I do and you don't? I don't play short, I don't play 100/200.

[ QUOTE ]
are you high?

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM ALWAYS JUST LIKE THIS.

SAVE YOUR DOPE FOR THOSE AS NEEDS IT.

shant
11-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Do you talk like this in real life?

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Not so much, but some. I tend to write "high" and speak "low." Can I field any more questions? Can we maybe just get [censored] Beetz in here and ask him how he started this ridicushit thread in the first place? 'Preciate it.

InchoateHand
11-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Reading your posts is [censored] irritating. At this point, I'd rather listen to the Go-Gos.

haakee
11-22-2005, 04:01 AM
You must've missed this thread. Best elysium response (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=534966&an=&page=&vc=1) of all time. In fact I'd like to nominate elysium's post in this thread for post of the millenium.

Ulysses
11-22-2005, 04:04 AM
1. What asterisk?

2. The last six months I split time 50/50 between NYC and SF. I am back in SF pretty much full time now.

3. Apparently bad beetz and some poser-indy-music-scenesters.

PS: What is your issue w/ Crimson Challenge? I will gladly take your comments into consideration for the relaunched effort.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading your posts is [censored] irritating. At this point, I'd rather listen to the Go-Gos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got nothin' against the Go-Gos! I don't give a [censored] about the Go-Gos and the fact that somebody would devote some [censored], hyperpretentious post to them is driving a [censored] hot screw between my lobes.

[ QUOTE ]
You must've missed this thread. Best elysium response of all time. In fact I'd like to nominate elysium's post in this thread for post of the millenium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the reg date. Yeah, that's pretty incredible. Inspired. Et cetera. I'm sure Elysium is one of those guys who got a name change, and that I should know him, and my ignorance is somehow gonna fall on me like a ton of bricks, but for now I'm strolling right into the trap. Uncle. Funny post. Who's Elysium?

Re: Crimson Challenges.

As previously explained, I'm just not down w/ the whole deal. I don't want to be That Guy, the 'comic snob,' but prop-bet related goofy-assed drunken parking lot hijinks just don't do anything for me. As for my remaining objection, I'm all but certain that the matter is now closed and therefore irrelevant.

InchoateHand
11-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Elysium is elysium. When he makes a now rare appearance, it is not to be missed. Back in the mythic days when OOT was funny, the strat forums were good, and they were funny too.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 04:25 AM
NL strat forums still seem very good. Limit forums seem to have a good bit of their efficiency rating cut by random circle-jerks.

bad beetz
11-22-2005, 04:25 AM
This is a respectable response

haakee
11-22-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad beetz
11-22-2005, 04:29 AM
You have done your research.

imported_anacardo
11-22-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a respectable response

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG shake off your coke haze and give me answers.

bad beetz
11-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Actually, I talk like this in real life.

bad beetz
11-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Well, sometimes.

I don't know... Thursday?

astroglide
11-22-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play short, I don't play 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

no poker talk pls!!