PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Mason's change of heart in MHNL

TheWorstPlayer
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Some of you may have noticed this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=plnlpoker&Number=3922622& page=0&fpart=1) in MHNL started by Mason Malmouth. It is long. Quick synopsis: Mason has a point of view different from the people he is playing with. They don't understand his point of view. He posts the situation, their point of view, and his point of view. No one in the MHNL agrees with his point of view. Much discussion occurs. Mason insists that his point of view is correct several times. Many days go by without his posting. He finally posts again. People are unsatisfied with his post. He finally posts one final time to admit that he was wrong.

What happened behind the scenes to convince him to make this final post? Did he finally just admit to himself that he was wrong? Did he finally realize that he was wrong? Did someone show him that he was wrong? Did someone convince him to make this post? Let's hear news, views, and gossip on this topic.

lapoker17
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Dude, it's over, no need to be spiteful. Everyone makes mistakes.

Best Wishes,
lapoker17

Alex/Mugaaz
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Who cares? I assume he thought it over and talked about it with knowledgeable people and realized one of the assumptions he was making was wrong. The case in almost all situations like this is that one person made some sort of background assumption which was incorrect. When someone tells them their answer is wrong they go back and check their work, but they see no errors. This will happen 2 or 3 more times and both people will bash heads. The wrong party will then take a break for a day or two. When they come back and look at it again they start with a fresh view and will now notice that background assumption which was wrong and be able to fix the error. I only skimmed the thread but it sure looked like that to me.

TheWorstPlayer
11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, it's over, no need to be spiteful. Everyone makes mistakes.

Best Wishes,
lapoker17

[/ QUOTE ]
It's probably the biggest 2+2 news since the publishing of Harrington's books. Isn't it worthy of gossip?

TheWorstPlayer
11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
That was not it. Read Mason's last post.

lapoker17
11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Mine was what I like to call a 2-way post. I'll let others elaborate.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Just read Mason's reply, looks exactly like that to me?

TheWorstPlayer
11-21-2005, 11:36 PM
What is the incorrect background assumption? Here is what he said:

[ QUOTE ]
I see now that what I was concentrating on was the interesting fact that the existence of future bets would help the jacks in limit (because it can knock out six outs on either the flop or the turn) but against most players those future bets would hurt the jacks and help the ace-queen suited in no limit (because of the increased implied odds).

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me like he noticed an interesting fact, ignored many other relevant details, jumped to an incorrect conclusion, and then posted about it. I don't see any background assumptions which he has re-thought.

Also, no one is discussing the actor(s) behind the change of heart! That is what this thread is for! I, personally, think that Mason complained to David about how daft the MHNL board was being and forced David to read through the whole thread. At the end of the thread, David forced Mason to see the error of his ways and convinced Mason to reply appropriately to the thread. Mason then made his first post of today and told David that he had done it. David then took a look and realised that it was still insufficient. Upon the completion of a fairly large argument, David prevailed upon Mason to write his second post.

mlagoo
11-22-2005, 01:04 AM
i think the phrase you kids use is YSSCKY

11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
This thread is really sounding like a personal whine.

<ul type="square"> http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/Nut4Dawgs/bawling.gif [/list]

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 09:08 AM
You guys are absolutely not fun.

flawless_victory
11-22-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
dude, i like your posts, but this thread sucks.
leave mason alone, no1 cares.

B Dids
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
This is a really stupid, insulting post. Mason explained why he changed his mind in that thread. No need to make a bigger issue of it than it is.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
dude, i like your posts,

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I like your posts, too.

[ QUOTE ]
but this thread sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh well.

[ QUOTE ]
leave mason alone, no1 cares.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine. I thought we could get some funny responses, but apparently not. I'll let it die. Obviously it was never meant to be serious.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a really stupid, insulting post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mason's posts were really stupid, insulting posts. And he made several of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Mason explained why he changed his mind in that thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he didn't. He addressed the hand issue, but never addressed his insane attitude or why it took him so many posts to admit that he had been wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
No need to make a bigger issue of it than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually think that it is a very big issue when someone like Mason displays the attitude that was displayed in that thread. I thought this thread might get either some funny responses or some serious discussion about Mason and his attitude or both. Apparently I was wrong. At least I can admit that.

KaneKungFu123
11-22-2005, 11:17 AM
not enough ventilation in the printing press.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not enough ventilation in the printing press.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is an exciting new theory! Thanks, Kane! /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Sponger15SB
11-22-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a really stupid, insulting post. Mason explained why he changed his mind in that thread. No need to make a bigger issue of it than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a pretty huge deal that Mason admitted he was wrong.

He reminds me of cinnamonwind/matador/etc., someone who posts a hand and then just argues with everyone, refusing to admit that they were wrong in the face of tremendous proof and good arguments.

Zygote
11-22-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason explained why he changed his mind in that thread. No need to make a bigger issue of it than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

mason admitted he was wrong! can't blame people for being fascinated with phenomena.

to restate, this case of wrongful admittance is note-worthy because mason personally stripped himself of his delusional, self-proclaimed deity status by admitting his own infallibility.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mason explained why he changed his mind in that thread. No need to make a bigger issue of it than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

mason admitted he was wrong! can't blame people for being fascinated with phenomena.

to restate, this case of wrongful admittance is note-worthy because mason personally stripped himself of his delusional, self-proclaimed deity status by admitting his own infallibility.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may have gotten that last word wrong. But 'A' for effort.

Beer and Pizza
11-22-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC Mason was slumming at a low limit in a game he was not that familiar with. Given that, making mistakes is not to be unexpected.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC Mason was slumming at a low limit in a game he was not that familiar with. Given that, making mistakes is not to be unexpected.

[/ QUOTE ]
And is it also not to be unexpected to post his mistaken opinion in a popular forum with extreme condescension towards his opponents and then to insist that his incorrect opinion was in fact correct numerous times in the face of all evidence to the contrary? Again with extreme disrespect shown towards those with whom he disagreed?

Zygote
11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
what is IIRC?

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 02:27 PM
if i recall correctly.

Zygote
11-22-2005, 02:57 PM
i'm known for being retarted so my mistakes are not exciting news.

regarding this thread, you've pretty much nailed the main points. masons' continued refusal to accept the truth is clear evidence in support of wat he is constantly being accused of: arrogantly defending his opinions with the presumption that his statements are correct because he is making them. Also, his mild attempt at recanting his wrongful posts is dissatisfying to a debate of this magnitude.

Vincent Lepore
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I had dinner with Mason a few nights ago. We talked about this hand in various situations. I blieve Mason was right the first time. A,Qs plays a lot better than J,J in no limit and is preferable if all or a lot of the money doesn't go in preflop. I think he gave in to keep the loud mouth know it alls at bay. Just an opinion.

Vince

lapoker17
11-22-2005, 08:08 PM
When's the next time you guys are planning to play some No Limit?

Vincent Lepore
11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When's the next time you guys are planning to play some No Limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do we have here, a challenge?

I play when I feel like playing and I play where I feel like playing and I will never leave because someone named lapoker17 is in the game. So come on down, you no scare me.

Vince

lapoker17
11-22-2005, 08:18 PM
awesome

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
So just to clarify, you are saying that with, say, 1000bb behind, you would rather have AQs out of position against a re-raiser than JJ in position having re-raised if the preflop pot is, say, 50bb and you are the only two players in the hand?

Ulysses
11-22-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had dinner with Mason a few nights ago. We talked about this hand in various situations. I blieve Mason was right the first time. A,Qs plays a lot better than J,J in no limit and is preferable if all or a lot of the money doesn't go in preflop. I think he gave in to keep the loud mouth know it alls at bay. Just an opinion.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being very insulting to Mason here, Vince. You are claiming that the head of 2+2, on his very own forums, is giving in and agreeing to something that he believes is incorrect poker information. Why you would disrespect Mason in such a manner is truly beyond me.

Mason made a mistake, then after examining the situation, realized his mistake and owned up to the error. Now you are claiming that he does not believe this and is propagating bad poker information on the 2+2 forums?

You owe Mason an apology, Vince.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why you would disrespect Mason in such a manner is truly beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like him. Gee El Diablo I thought nothing was beyond you.

Vince

Ulysses
11-23-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why you would disrespect Mason in such a manner is truly beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like him. Gee El Diablo I thought nothing was beyond you.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. I thought you and Mason were friends. Now that you've explained that your intent was to insult him, your post makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that you've explained that your intent was to insult him

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo,

My intent was not to insult Mason it was to insult you. I don't like you either.

Vince

TheWorstPlayer
11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo,

My intent was not to insult Mason it was to insult you. I don't like you either.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]
5 stars! And people said this thread was stupid! This thread rocks!

Ulysses
11-23-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo,

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised you don't like me, as you seem to not like anyone who is smarter and more successful than you.

bones
11-23-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not surprised you don't like me, as you seem to not like anyone who is smarter and more successful than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part about him having dinner with Greg Raymer? They're practically best friends.

TheWorstPlayer
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part about him having dinner with Greg Raymer? They're practically best friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was Vince sticking up for Smoothcall, not Vince talking about himself. Get the BS straight, please.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you seem to not like anyone who is smarter and more successful than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention better looking. But alas even you Mr Smarty Diablo are incorrect. I like David Sklansky, so there.

Vince

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Practically best friends...now that's an interesting concept!

Vince

lapoker17
11-23-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention better looking. But alas even you Mr Smarty Diablo are incorrect. I like David Sklansky, so there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky's better looking than you?

Whoa.

Vincent Lepore
11-23-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was Vince sticking up for Smoothcall, not Vince talking about himself. Get the BS straight, please

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mr "Get the BS right" what's your point?

Vince