PDA

View Full Version : 6-max Coach

Starzinger
11-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi,
I've been playing poker for a year now, and thought it might be time to take some lessons.
Anyone know of any good 6-max coaches that i can contact? Preferably swedish ones, i know there are some good ones here.

I play 10/20 for the moment.

PM if you give coaching or post here

aba20
11-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I was coached by alobar. Don't know if he still does it.

DMBFan23
11-21-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was coached by alobar. Don't know if he still does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't, I just asked

Starzinger
11-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Bump

Noone else know of somebody?

Snow
11-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Kiddo is a good (swedish) coach and his offer can be found here (http://www.svenskpoker.com/pokercoach)

regards
Snow

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kiddo is a good (swedish) coach and his offer can be found here (http://www.svenskpoker.com/pokercoach)

regards
Snow

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's um a bit overpriced?

Maybe it's not, but it sure seems like it, unless he's getting into a lot of detail. Question: how many of those 200 hands is he commenting on on average?

EvanJC
11-22-2005, 01:09 PM
its standard - kiddo didn't coach me but my coach used the same format i guess. probably commented on about 15-20 hands.

ggbman
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Hah, if i could have pulled in that kind of change coaching i would have kept doing it. That said, i have only had direct contact with one person who was coached by Kido, and he said he was a very good coach.

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its standard - kiddo didn't coach me but my coach used the same format i guess. probably commented on about 15-20 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me to start charging more.

I stuck by what I thought was the usual $100/hr. There's no way it takes me 3 hours to comment on 15-20 hands out of a 200 hand set.

EvanJC
11-22-2005, 02:10 PM
coaching is a sellers market i think - also, i'd be interested in some coaching if you're still doing it for 100$/hr ^_^

11-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I didnt find kiddos offer bad. He seemed very intelligent and I will definately look him up should I run bad at 10/20 without knowing why.

11-22-2005, 03:09 PM
He comments on about 60/300 hands. He then sends his critique and asks for feedback. He wants the student to identify some of the key concepts pointed out. Kiddo then answers any questions the student has.

Based on his sh knowledge I would say this is pretty good price.

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
See now that seems more worth the price.

Just curious /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
11-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I was coached by kiddo (I think I was actually the first person he coached if I remember right) and I found it to be a very rewarding experience. His model of coaching was also what I used when I coached (going over a block of 200 hands). He goes over every hand, tho obviously not every hand needs commenting. He also gives you a critique of your overall play and then answers follow up questions.

dealer_toe
11-22-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, i'd be interested in some coaching if you're still doing it for 100$/hr ^_^

[/ QUOTE ]

sthief09
11-22-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stuck by what I thought was the usual $100/hr. There's no way it takes me 3 hours to comment on 15-20 hands out of a 200 hand set.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that $300 for 200 hands is completely absurd. if people are paying that much i really ought to start coaching

sthief09
11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, i'd be interested in some coaching if you're still doing it for 100$/hr ^_^

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when mush opens, i plan to compile a list of coaching services (separated by sweating, teaching, reading hand histories) and prices and 2p2 names (or anonymous) and giving it to the mod(s) to sticky. i think itll be a pretty good resource. someone would actually give me (or someone else for that matter) $500 for 1000 hands?

krishanleong
11-22-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when mush opens, i plan to compile a list of coaching services (separated by sweating, teaching, reading hand histories) and prices and 2p2 names (or anonymous) and giving it to the mod(s) to sticky. i think itll be a pretty good resource. someone would actually give me $500 for 1000 hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic.

Krishan

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when mush opens, i plan to compile a list of coaching services (separated by sweating, teaching, reading hand histories) and prices and 2p2 names (or anonymous) and giving it to the mod(s) to sticky. i think itll be a pretty good resource. someone would actually give me (or someone else for that matter) $500 for 1000 hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think chuck will let that happen. I haven't decided how much I'm going to go into this coaching thing (I'm keeping it purposely small right now, with only a few students), but if I do decide to go all out I know I'm going to have to purchase advertising here for it.

Chuck doesn't seem all that nice when it comes to letting pay services spam (which is really what it would be) 2+2. I kind of see this issue becoming like rakeback with them, though I hope it doesn't.

I'm all for your idea and I think it's useful, I'm just not sure if the 2+2 powers that be will let it happen.

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I've gotten a few PMs already... yes I am, but I'm seriously reconsidering that since it is low both compared to (apparently) other coaches and my poker earn rate. But for now, yeah that's my rate.

RunDownHouse
11-22-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think chuck will let that happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on how involved the mod wanted to be, such a list could always be compiled and then simply PM'd to those who asked, as opposed to stickied.

TheMetetron
11-22-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think chuck will let that happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on how involved the mod wanted to be, such a list could always be compiled and then simply PM'd to those who asked, as opposed to stickied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.

I would hope Chuck would be okay with MUSH'ers deciding to keep this particular thing in a sticky since it would be incredibly useful to the forum. Also, it's not like coaches are making a killing (kiddo excluded, apparently) since it is below their poker earn rate for the most part.

Anyways, it will be up to Chuck and Mason I guess. We'll see.

TheWorstPlayer
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

regards
Snow

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit, I offer this exact same service for NL for $75. I should [censored] raise my rates.

wheelz
11-23-2005, 03:37 AM
i'm coaching 6-max for $125/hour.

Starzinger
11-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Thx for all the replies. Hope i havn't caused the prices to go up. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

kiddo
11-23-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally comment on a bit more, maybe 30-40 hands. There are a lot of not very interesting hands where u have to tell why you do/dont do a certain move.

It takes me a bit above 3 hours. But then the one I coach can comment on all my comments and it take me 1-2 hours to do that.

$300 for working 5 hours is $60/h. If I play poker (and is as focused as when I coach) I do about 3 times that. I do it because its more fun then playing, not because I need $.

Nikla
11-23-2005, 04:44 AM
I read through Kiddos offer on his site and it seems quite good to me. However if I were to get a coach I would definitely want some live sweating through irc,msn,aim whatever, in addition to indepth analysis of handblocks.
Infact I think Kiddo's offer would be much better if he charged $500 and included 2 hours of live coaching.

As to the cost, I did some coaching awhile back and it's very timeconsuming and it can be quite draining. So I really dont think he's overcharging at all assuming he's as good a teacher as I think he is.

One should note that you can have a really good player coaching you, but he won't necessarily be worthwhile to you if he's unable to identify your most pressing leaks (usually misunderstanding concepts or misapplying concepts) and present them to you in a clear and coherent way. Some people play poker alot better than they talk poker, you don't want one of those guys tutoring you.

-Nikla

sthief09
11-23-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read through Kiddos offer on his site and it seems quite good to me. However if I were to get a coach I would definitely want some live sweating through irc,msn,aim whatever, in addition to indepth analysis of handblocks.
Infact I think Kiddo's offer would be much better if he charged $500 and included 2 hours of live coaching.

As to the cost, I did some coaching awhile back and it's very timeconsuming and it can be quite draining. So I really dont think he's overcharging at all assuming he's as good a teacher as I think he is.

One should note that you can have a really good player coaching you, but he won't necessarily be worthwhile to you if he's unable to identify your most pressing leaks (usually misunderstanding concepts or misapplying concepts) and present them to you in a clear and coherent way. Some people play poker alot better than they talk poker, you don't want one of those guys tutoring you.

-Nikla

[/ QUOTE ]

quit supporting your norsk brethren. you arent even norsk. you are aussie now /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

wheelz
11-23-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm coaching 6-max for $125/hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

this means watching you play while discussing on AIM...

Danenania
11-23-2005, 05:29 AM
I am considering doing some coaching on the side. The format will entail me analyzing a video of the player's play, creating a write up of interesting or misplayed hands/situations, then discussing the writeup on AIM and answering any questions. I would like to help a few players as a trial before deciding if I want to do this permanently and make a website, etc. PM me if interested and for pricing details, qualifications, or any other info. For a ballpark I am thinking $100 per hour but I'll do the first few players at 50% discount since hopefully I will be learning as much as they do. The price will be fixed though for video + analysis + discussion and will depend on the length of video. BTW, I'd feel comfortable coaching players at any shorthanded level up to and including 1-1.5bb/100 (suspected) winners at 10/20.

stigmata
11-23-2005, 06:34 AM
What I think would be really useful from a coaching session:

1) Analysis of your PT data. E.g. general trends. This will give pointers for later sessions

2) Video sweat. e.g. email them a 1 hour video of you 4-tabling. This is FAR better than a simple HH file, because they can see everything from your exact perspective. This can then be discussed over AIM etc.

3) Follow up. E.g. some access to the person over AIM for the next few weeks, to check up on whether you are applying certain concepts correctly by sending them the odd simple hand you were unsure about.

kiddo
11-23-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not like coaches are making a killing (kiddo excluded, apparently) since it is below their poker earn rate for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is 100% true (also for me, Im glad to say).

If anyone is interested in coaching because they think its good pay, well, then I think they make to little playing poker.

How much is coaching worth?

Lets say the coaching will make him win +0.2BB/tablehour at 10/20SH. That is 0.8BB/h if u 4 table. Playing at 10/20 it is $16/hour. We then need less then 20 hours to pay that coaching. If he played 5/10 it would take less then 40 hours.

Not saying these are realistic figures (I got no idea) but I think the focus should be on getting a coach that u really tink will improve your game, not saving dollars when u get one (of course, if u got no idea which is best u should get the cheap one).

I would gladly pay $1000 if someone could make me go +0.2BB/100 at SH 20/40. Problem is that the guys I think could teach me this are making so much playing poker that $1K isnt a lot for them.

Im not saying this because I want to coach more (I have coached a bit to much lately) or to say a coach for $300 is better then a coach for $100. Just saying I agre with TheMetetron, I dont think there are a coach that makes more teaching then playing poker.

ALL1N
11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you are aussie now

[/ QUOTE ]

!!! Where exactly, Nikla?? And will you be at the aussie millions?

MAxx
11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am considering doing some coaching on the side. The format will entail me analyzing a video of the player's play, creating a write up of interesting or misplayed hands/situations, then discussing the writeup on AIM and answering any questions. I would like to help a few players as a trial before deciding if I want to do this permanently and make a website, etc. PM me if interested and for pricing details, qualifications, or any other info. For a ballpark I am thinking $100 per hour but I'll do the first few players at 50% discount since hopefully I will be learning as much as they do. The price will be fixed though for video + analysis + discussion and will depend on the length of video. BTW, I'd feel comfortable coaching players at any shorthanded level up to and including 1-1.5bb/100 (suspected) winners at 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this method best I think. I had a internet session chatting thru IM once from a very good coach. I found it quite stressfull though as my multitasking skills are approaching that of a retarded monkey. It was hard to make the plays that I normally would make, take in reads, relay my hole cards, and discuss wtf I was thinking when I raised 2 hands prior.

The session was very valueable and a few of the things I learned made the measely $110/ hour easily worth it.

I think your coaching strategey would be the best with respect to online play.

I'd like to be one of your guinea pigs D, if you already have enough...

Nikla
11-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey. I've been in Sydney the last 2 months. I'll be going back to Norway in mid december so I wont be attending the aussie milliona. You an aussie?

Nikla
11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
As for you Josh/Sthief fkr. You should know that kiddo is a [censored] svensk, hence he is beneath my kind.

bugstud
11-23-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for you Josh/Sthief fkr. You should know that kiddo is a [censored] svensk, hence he is beneath my kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg lol

Schneids
11-23-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you and Lakerman must have gotten into a fight?

ALL1N
11-23-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. I've been in Sydney the last 2 months. I'll be going back to Norway in mid december so I wont be attending the aussie milliona. You an aussie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I live in Melbourne. Did you come out here to live or was it a (working?) holiday or something or other??

Michael Davis
11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
"poker earn rate."

I'm still waiting to get through one of your posts where your winrate or your cool new monitor isn't mentioned. It's really a shame since your strategy content speaks for itself.

-Michael

sublime
11-23-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"poker earn rate."

I'm still waiting to get through one of your posts where your winrate or your cool new monitor isn't mentioned. It's really a shame since your strategy content speaks for itself.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!

Nikla
11-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeah I guess you could say it's a working holiday. Been real nice so far. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Victor
11-23-2005, 10:15 PM
rather than a flat rate i would think that rewarding the coach/mentor with a fraction of the increased winrate over a certain number of hands would be better.

this would put a vested interest in the coach to insure that the player does well over an extended period of time since the coach will be making more.

i am highly skeptical that having a coach look over 500 or so hands will have any significant effect on ones play and results.

Stinkybeaver
11-23-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rather than a flat rate i would think that rewarding the coach/mentor with a fraction of the increased winrate over a certain number of hands would be better.

this would put a vested interest in the coach to insure that the player does well over an extended period of time since the coach will be making more.

i am highly skeptical that having a coach look over 500 or so hands will have any significant effect on ones play and results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one thinkin this is pretty impossible. When do you pay him after 100K hands after 10K hands after you've run good or bad..? I don't care you can't have a coach and afterwards say now I win 0,25BB/100 more than I did before. It would require a tremendeous ammounts of hands both before coaching and afterwards.

I myself is getting some coaching currently and I have no doubt that having them look at my hands or on AIM while I play works wonders. I will continue to "invest" a large ammount of my winnings at coaches since it definately can't hurt you much and most likely will help you big time.

Victor
11-23-2005, 10:26 PM
100k would be a fair number of hands i would say.

kiddo
11-24-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx and yep, for some players it definetly would be better to get live-coaching while they play (if that is what u were talking about).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if you for example read Doyle Brunsons book on NL you will see that he talks a lot about "feel". Cloutier talks the same way in his NL&PL book. This is worthless if u want to learn.

Normally the problems starts when we got conflicting concepts like: "I want to see flop cheap with 98s and I want to isolate this bad guy limping", or: "I dont have a hand on this flop so I shouldnt bet but I guess noone else got a hand so I should bet."

What a coach then need to do is break down those concepts and see whats behind, not talking about getting "a feel" for how to play.

kiddo
11-24-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you got Fleksnes (a grown up shouting "Deeeoooohh" all the time) and John Teigen (only one that ever got zero points in the yearly European Song Contest), it says it all /images/graemlins/cool.gif. If we had them in Sweden we would lock them up forver (or send them to Norway). But what do u do in Norway? U make them into TV-stars. Thats brutal.

And when u dont work u use your free time running up on mounting peaks for no reason but to prove you have been there.

A joke we told each other in school:

What do a swede do when a norwigan throw a hand grenade over the border? He pulls the pin and throws it back.

(not sure if "pulls the pin" is correct english: "release the safety catch" is something else, its what u do with a gun?)

Rudbaeck
11-24-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure if "pulls the pin" is correct english

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. You can't berate Norwegians and then end with something like this. I'm afraid national honour will require me and the other Swedes here to hunt you down and kill you now. Too bad, was kinda planning to take you up on that coaching. Oh well, guess necromancy remains an option.

kiddo
11-25-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is. You can't berate Norwegians and then end with something like this. I'm afraid national honour will require me and the other Swedes here to hunt you down and kill you now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it was pretty lame /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But my grandma is from Lofoten in northern Norway so Im 25% norweigan and my sister is married to a norweigan and lives 200km north Oslo so... Who am I to talk?

krishanleong
12-02-2005, 10:05 AM
I've decided to take some students on this month. You make a video, I write up a report. PM for details.

Krishan