PDA

View Full Version : Weak ace makes two pair on river but gets raised

11-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.75.
2 folds</font>, Hero calls, 1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, 1 fold</font>, Button calls, 1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif (5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't see anything interesting here to comment about. Sure, there is risk that button has e.g. the other two deuces. But I don't see where you play it any differently. The more aggressive players here may even tell you to bet the river (I wouldn't).

11-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Would be nice to have a read on the button. Would he just call pre-flop with something like AA-JJ, AK, or AQ on the button? Seen players who call flop bets with 2 pair or higher and then raise on turn to get more big bets. Hard to put him on a hand based on how it was played.

I guess how I'd play this is read dependent. Without a read, I'd c/c turn and river.

xLukex
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I'll be the first to say fold preflop!

Fantam
11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
The trouble with playing weak A suited hands UTG, is that it leaves you uncertain what to do if you pair your Ace against several opponents.

One of them could easily have an Ace with a better kicker than yours, so I would have preferred to check the flop and if necessary call a bet with your bdfd.

The button raising the turn on a rainbow and no possible straights board, suggests that he was slowplaying a set. I would have expected the button to raise before, if he had 2 pair on the flop.

Nonetheless, 2 pair is a strong hand and you had 4 outs to a boat on the river (with 8.5 bets in the pot), so I think that you had to call button's turn raise.

Although you were probably beaten on the river, I think that you had to call, because the pot had become big and I expect that your 2 pair had a better than 10% (or so) chance to be best.

11-21-2005, 09:39 PM
If the table is loose and passive, preflop is fine.

I'm trying really hard to think of a reason not to 3bet this turn.

Can anyone help me? I'm pretty sure there's a reason.

If I don't 3bet, I'm betting this river. I think I'm just confused by villian. A read would be good. I'm just confused.

crovax4444
11-21-2005, 09:42 PM
that was my first impression, to 3 bet the turn. Since it was mentioned earlier that Axs is a hard hand to play, 3 betting on the turn would have defined our and villian's hand. Would make it easier to figure out the river.

Crovax

11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Do you have any read or stats on the button? It would make this hand a lot easier to analyze.

11-21-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of them could easily have an Ace with a better kicker than yours, so I would have preferred to check the flop and if necessary call a bet with your bdfd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with this. You have top pair with no potential for overcards on a non-draw heavy board in an unraised pot. I don't think there's any reason to give someone credit for an Ace. Also, you have the bdfd. I bet this hand all day long. I think checking is bad as you give anyone that caught a piece of the board or who has a pocket pair a chance to draw out on you.

The pot is not so big that betting is not going to protect your hand either. With a bet you will be laying them 6:1 which is not enough for a gutshot or an underpair.

MrWookie47
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
I like a check and see on this flop. You could fold for two bets to you, raise a LP bettor w/ no callers, and call or fold one bet to you, depending on the cast of characters. I 3bet this turn.

11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
over 30 hands, this oppenent is 45/0, with an overall AF of .48 (including preflop). I thought i was behind, but confused to as if my hand was strong enough to reraise.

also, looking back, im not sure why i was first into the pot with A2s.

jeff

11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
With those numbers, I'm folding when he comes alive.

Take out the pre-flop numbers in the aggression, but I still think you're WB when he comes alive.