PDA

View Full Version : Strategy

ripdog
06-30-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm considering buying into UB and playing some of the $5+$0.50 and $10+$1 tourneys for fun. I've set up my tournament edition TTHE for similar blind structure and 150 players and have been playing with different strategies. Hyper-tight play, getting very aggressive when I have a big pair or AK gets me very close to the final table, but I'm usually the small stack. Looser, more passive play gets me nowhere. I'm beginning to lean towards very tight, very aggressive play as my default--mixing in a bit of betting the minimum and hoping that the other players see it as a "please don't raise me" bet. I hate checking big hands because it seems too transparent, I'd rather encourage a bluff by betting the minimum, and if I take the pot right there, that's fine, too.
Any strategy tips would be great. Diffs between limit and no-limit, when to change gears, when to call the inevitable big bet, when to fold. Anything.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-30-2003, 12:59 PM
While turbo is a great tool and has many useful functions, actually learning how to play from the beginner stage on isn't what it's best at. I'm not saying you were wrong to use it, just don't rely upon it very much to teach you how to optimize your play.

You're about to enter a whole new world of weirdness, so don't be surprised when you become very surprised.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

ripdog
06-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Greg. I value your opinion highly on these matters and was hoping for some tips on general pitfalls to avoid. I realize that TTHE has its limitations and that I can't rely on it exclusively. Getting into the money consistently will be very difficult. Maybe realizing that it ain't gonna be a cakewalk is as important as strategy. I'd really like to know how you would approach these types of games, and how you would utilize TTHE.