PDA

View Full Version : AA out of position (NL 0.25BB on Absolute)

11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Stacks :

Me : 55
Vilain : 30

Preflop

I have A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Folded to the button who raises to 0.50$, I reraised to 1.5$, he calls.

Flop (pot = 3.40) : 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet 2.25$, he calls.

Turn (pot = 7.80) : 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet 7.5$, he calls 7.5$.

River (pot = 22$) : 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif

I ???

Thank you for your help !

11-21-2005, 07:37 PM
you bet 15 and fold to a raise

EDIT-- Advice changed to check/call, didn't realise stacks

xorbie
11-21-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ajmargarine
11-21-2005, 07:40 PM
He's got about $20 behind, less than a PSB. I think you get more calls if you leave him with his dignity instead of putting him all-in. I'd bet $12, call a push.

amoeba
11-21-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not enough left in villain's stack for this option.

mistake was potting the turn.

I think river is check fold without any reads.

if you are betting the river, call the raise.

11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
He only had 18-19 left, should I fold to a raise for only 3-4$ in such a big pot ?

11-21-2005, 07:42 PM
oops, didn't realise villain was so short, my apologies.

I suppose I check/call here

ajmargarine
11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

11-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Why was potting the turn a mistake, shouldnt I protect my hand against a single spade ?
Thank you !

11-21-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He only had 18-19 left, should I fold to a raise for only 3-4$ in such a big pot ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately not... if you're going to bet $15 there you're calling $3-4 more unless you tried to bluff him with like 7 high no pair.

I don't mind Check/Calling the river. With no prior experience vs this opponent just watching him call could be anything from AK ... K-Rag to a draw to a set to two pair... who knows?

11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Looks like he's playing K-10/A from the way he donkey-raised PF and is calling anything the whole way.

I don't really fear him here personally

11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I personnally do not understand the check/call play at all. It just seems like an opportunity for a weak hand to take a free showdown whereas a strong hand would bet anyway, or maybe do you expect him to bet little like 10$ in case he has a strong hand ?

11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I still don't know what I should have done. I don't like the check/call at all, can comeone explain in which way it could be better than betting ?
Thank you !

xorbie
11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not enough left in villain's stack for this option.

mistake was potting the turn.

if you are betting the river, call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my mistake, I thought villain had $50 here. River I would probably push or check, and what I do if villain bets really depends on how the table has been going.

amoeba
11-21-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this is with the assumption that we did not pot the turn and we went to the river with much more left over.

I'm mixed on the turn.

yeah, maybe potting the turn, pushing river is better line.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Reraise more pre-flop. He min-raised so it is likely he will come along. Go to $2.50. Pot the flop($5). Then you can put him all-in on the turn.

As played, you are not backing down, so push or c/c the river. I prefer a push villain has a short stack and should put it all in if he hit his flush. Hero showed that he wasn't going anywhere.

Riposte
11-21-2005, 11:19 PM
I like it. On the river, check-calling is the best option I think. It looks like he has a pair of Kings.

11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I really don't like check-calling at all, because if he has the king he is going to call anyway and checking gives him the option check behind with a marginal holding and he is going to bet a strong hand anyway. If you bet you will lose the money if he has a strong hand, but you will win it if he has the K. For me it's either check-fold (assuming he would not bet Kx) or half bet fold to a raise (most players don't raise on the river with top pair marginal kicker), or push.
For those of you who would have checked-called it would be nice if you could explain why you prefer that play to pushing.
Thank you !

Riposte
11-21-2005, 11:35 PM
If you bet, he most likely folds worse hands and you make nothing. If you check, you allow the weaker hands to bluff (or bet what they think is the best hand) and you stand to make more.

If he has a pair of Kings, he's not checking behind, because odds are, he sucks.

EDIT: Also, if you ARE behind on the river, check-calling saves you money.

ajmargarine
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I must be missing some advanced concept in this hand. 80% of the time here villian has Kx, and the way it's gone so far it doesn't look like he paired his x card. A small % of time he has an even worse hand than Kx. And maybe 10% of the time he's slowplaying something that beats us. This is a clear river bet, the only question is how much, and I vote $12.

11-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I definitely agree with Ajmargarine, a bet seems to be more profitable than a check because many players WILL check the Kx, they call all the way with TP but don't necessarily bet with. Most low limit players are rather loose passive than loose aggressive.
If you are curious about the outcome, I actually put him all in and he happily called with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flush.

11-22-2005, 05:13 AM
i would have raised to atleast 3 preflop, espically on AP, cause they will call anything

i would have bet half of what ever he had on the flop, and it all goes in on the turn....

11-22-2005, 10:35 AM
If he has you beat, your not going to fold for 20 anyway.

So check and hope he bluffs or pushes with a pair of kings.