PDA

View Full Version : No-Limit Omaha Tournament, need some advice

11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I know people don't play NoLimit Omaha really, but there is going to be a semi-small one near me (25-35 people). I have a few questions below, someone help me if they have any experience.
I seem to remember reading that no hand (even AAKQ) is a a huge favorite preflop vs random hands, so I know I want to avoid all-in preflop. However if I don't raise preflop then everyone will limp in because they have 4 cards. Should I join the crowd and limp and hope to take advantage of them post flop? Or should I raise with hands like above and just hope to punish people who play garbage hoping to get lucky?

Marnixvdb
11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I have never played NL Omaha but thinking about it, I have the following considerations:

In NL omaha people will be much more likely to avoid certain pot-control mistakes that they make in PL. (Like giving people with (re)draws correct implied odds when they pot a vulnerable nut hand OOP). I'd mainly avoid PF allins when you have to call one. Pushing with good AAxx hands when stacks arent too deep can never be a mistake if your have enough Folding Equity - so that's your goal with AAxx: make people fold when the pot is interesting enough.

The same goes for pushing your draws that on the flop are a favourite against made hands, and nut hands with redraws that freeroll redrawless nut hands. When there is enough money in the pot: push. Otherwise, control the pot and play the turn.

I'd imagine the average player will be more than willing to push their AAxx preflop, so in NL Omaha there is less need to build a pot PF with hands that can flop strong (be it made hands or draws). The AAxx raisers will build the pot more strongly for you.

In NL position becomes even more important than it already is in PLO.

Also, you should lookout for steal, resteal and squeeze opportunities. They can be easier to spot since going allin takes away the possibility for people to play the flop slightly against their odds, something that a lot of PLO tourney players love to do.

gl

Marnix