PDA

View Full Version : Do pot odds apply within chip leaders?

11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm new to tournaments, and came up to the following situation today:

With a startin chip amount of 1500, I managed to build up to 3000. It was early in a 30 player tournament, and on my table, only one guy also had 3000, everbody else around 1000.

I played heads-up against the other big stack, and situation arrived, where the pot was 2000, I had 2000 left and he put me all-in with his remaining 2000 on the turn.
I had OESD + FD, giving me 15 outs, which offers pot odds of approximately 2 to 1.
Can I call according to pot odds or is this out of question, looking at the situation?

11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
not enough info. how is the table playing? what is your EV from 2k as opposed to 6k?

11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
The table was playing weak. Otherwise I would not have managed to build up a stack this big /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
How can I figure out the EV of 2000 or 6000?

moodifier
11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
You can multiply your outs by 4 on the flop and 2 on the turn to get a rough estimate of your equity. This is not totally accurate but gives an approximation if you are stuck while at the table. Obviously, these are outs to a cinch not counting when you make your hand and your opponent makes a higher flush, straight.

You are getting pot odds of 3:1 and your odds to make your hand 2:1 it would seem. It is difficult to say call, fold without knowing your hand.

Another thing. I would try my best to avoid confrontations with another big stack especially when you two are pretty well ahead of the entire table. Unless you have a read on him as poor, overaggressive,big bluffer etc. Of course if your hand is very strong with very strong draws this may be difficult.