PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: A Christmas Story

diebitter
11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
A Christmas Story is set in the 50's and revolving around a small boy and his family, told from the perspective of the small boy as adult (think 'wonder years'). The season is Christmas, and this film is about the various shenanigans that these kids go through. It was written and directed by Bob Clark, who did the same for Porkies, but this is an entirely different kind of film, and far, far superior to Porkies in every way.

I'd definitely recommend this to buy as a Christmas keeper. Why?

I love a Christmas Story. I really love it. The first time I saw it I loved it, and my love has stayed the same ever since. I'm looking forward to watching it again, probably more than once, leading up till Christmas, and I'll enjoy the leg-lamp, the soap in the mouth, the being bullied at just the wrong time, the little kid eating like a snuffling pig, the double-dog dare, the Chinese Turkey, the visiting a scary Santa, the aboslute kid desire for a rifle, blah blah blah... you get the idea. It's fan-freakin-tastic.

Okay, it's no major work. A Christmas Story compares to Citizen Kane the same way that the passable, horny, slightly drunk girl you just met who is all over you like a rash compares to a poster of Jessica Alba. The second looks great, but boy the first is a lot more fun.

so have fun!

OVERALL: 4/5
REWATCHABILITY: Several times a year, particularly in December
Suitable for all ages, but check first - there's some mild swearing, so make sure you're happy with it.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

RECENT REVIEWS: Bedazzled (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3958086&an=&page=0&vc=1) , Incredible Shrinking Man (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3954164&an=&page=0&vc=1)

diebitter
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Oh, and...
http://rxreed.net/images/2004/12/leg-lamp.jpg

This would be an awesome avatar!

wayabvpar
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
LOVE Christmas Story. So nice and quotable.

billymonk
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and...
http://rxreed.net/images/2004/12/leg-lamp.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

samjjones
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
No review of this film is complete without mentioning the great work Melinda Dillon, and especially, Darren McGavin, bring to this. The joy the old man shows when Ralphie opens his Red Ryder is excellent.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No review of this film is complete without mentioning the great work Melinda Dillon, and especially, Darren McGavin, bring to this. The joy the old man shows when Ralphie opens his Red Ryder is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am undone - so busy gushing, forgot to say. Darren and Melinda are the dogs bollocks as Mom and Dad!

Dominic
11-21-2005, 06:50 PM
A Christmas Story is one of the films that when you see it for the first time, you go: Not bad but I don't see what all the fuss was about.

Sort of like This is Spinal Tap.

But you watch it over and over again through the years, and both films become great.

Amid Cent
11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Random tidbit... The idea for The Wonder Years where an adult narrates his childhood was taken from this movie.

swede123
11-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Hijack alert!

This is Spinal Tap is the only Guest movie I have not seen. Is it most people's opinion it is better than his other films?

Swede

Edit - Oh, good review DieBitter. Christmas Story is awesome, and the only reason I do not own it is that I watch it a good four or five times each year when the 24hr marathon runs on TBS or whatever.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 06:52 PM
yep (I cannot complain about hijacking /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

WDC
11-21-2005, 07:25 PM
You are absolutely right. There is another film based on Jaen Shepard's writings with Charles Grodin as the Dad and Mary Steenbergen as the Mom and it sucks by comparison.

I think it is called My Summer Story

samjjones
11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Also, Jean Shepherd's voice is absolutely PERFECT in this piece.

Los Feliz Slim
11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
More trivia that must be mentioned: Make sure to note the presence of Scott(ie) Schwartz, child actor and star of "The Toy", who later became an adult film actor.

wayabvpar
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More trivia that must be mentioned: Make sure to note the presence of Scott(ie) Schwartz, child actor and star of "The Toy", who later became an adult film actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knew that licking a pole would become habit forming?

11-21-2005, 07:56 PM
"You'll shoot your eye out."

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Well done. I love the part when his teacher gives his story a C+ with the "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" comment.

[ QUOTE ]
My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gumpzilla
11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is Spinal Tap is the only Guest movie I have not seen. Is it most people's opinion it is better than his other films?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion it's considerably better. But I think it might be like the Zucker-Abrams-Zucker movies - once you've seen one, you sort of get the idea, and each one you see after is a little less good.

pryor15
11-21-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Christmas Story compares to Citizen Kane the same way that the passable, horny, slightly drunk girl you just met who is all over you like a rash compares to a poster of Jessica Alba. The second looks great, but boy the first is a lot more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice.

11-21-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Christmas Story is one of the films that when you see it for the first time, you go: Not bad but I don't see what all the fuss was about.

But you watch it over and over again through the years, and both films become great.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I've been telling my wife what a gtreat movie it is and that i was surprised she never saw it. Her brother and other friends said the same thing. After she watched it she said it wasn't that good.

vulturesrow
11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I've been telling my wife what a gtreat movie it is and that i was surprised she never saw it. Her brother and other friends said the same thing. After she watched it she said it wasn't that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

different issue entirely. This is not a movie many women will like. In many ways is it the essence of a guy movie. I think the triple dog dare scene really sums up the "guyness" of this movie.

WackityWhiz
11-21-2005, 11:56 PM
I can't wait for 24 hrs of this on Christmas Eve!!!

tolbiny
11-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Women are dumb- Did she see the scene where he fantasizes about shooting the burglers in striped prison suits with his red ryder? Love the crosses over the eyes.

diebitter
11-22-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm even luckier with this film. I have two small boys who absolutely love this film too. It is absolutely awesome to watch it with kids who love it, they laugh their asses off at it!

Life is good /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
I think I could probably watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas for a week straight.

diebitter
11-22-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait for 24 hrs of this on Christmas Eve!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna watch it over and over for 24 hours?

Remove that last splat, Astro!