PDA

View Full Version : Do you work the day after Thanksgiving?

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I do.

And my boss came to [de]motivate everybody by talking [censored] about those who wanted the day after Thanksgiving off.

11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many "my boss makes me work" threads are you going to do, Warik? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
When is this thankgiving thing, and when is it over. I'll come back then.

shant
11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I worked at a place that made us work the day after. They also only gave 4 people max vacation days during Christmas and I worked on Christmas Eve and had to work during the Superbowl to update a site as commercials ran for the company.

F JOBS LIKE THIS

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many "my boss makes me work" threads are you going to do, Warik? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One for every day that > 50% of business close and mine doesn't.... or until I finally quit this job I hate and get one that doesn't suck.

How many times are you going to whine about my "my boss makes me work" threads?

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-21-2005, 06:12 PM
What kind of schlep works the day after Thanksgiving? Are you in retail?

deacsoft
11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
If I feel like it.
Self-employment = the way to go

Los Feliz Slim
11-21-2005, 06:14 PM
We gave everyone Friday off, and plan on having a half day Wednesday. We're also closing the entire office the week between Christmas and New Years. Does everyone appreciate it and thank us? Hell no.

swede123
I get Friday off, but I do have to work all those crazy quasi holidays when our fine mail carriers do not; MLK, Veterans, Columbus etc.

Swede

[ QUOTE ]
How many times are you going to whine about my "my boss makes me work" threads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I hadn't considered pointing out the repetitiveness of your whining as whining.

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of schlep works the day after Thanksgiving? Are you in retail?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Internet travel company.

Historically, we have never made a single penny the day after Thanksgiving.

He "wishes he could take the day off" too, though. Funny... of all the days of the year to actually come to work he chooses the day after Thanksgiving?

11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I work for a bank, and banks cannot be closed for more than three consecutive days. Even though I don't work in the branch part of the bank, I'll be here to man the fort for everyone else taking that day off. Look for some serious OOT activity from me on that day. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

ScottieK

[ QUOTE ]
We gave everyone Friday off, and plan on having a half day Wednesday. We're also closing the entire office the week between Christmas and New Years. Does everyone appreciate it and thank us? Hell no.

[/ QUOTE ]can i please have a job?

swede123
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is in the U.S. I'd like to come to work for you. This kind of stuff is pretty standard somewhere like Sweden for example. Seriously, five weeks paid vacation mandated by the government. Nutso.

Swede

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I hadn't considered pointing out the repetitiveness of your whining as whining.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, my whining serves everyone a purpose, unlike yours.

With every work-whine thread I post, everyone can see how much my boss sucks, i.e., more than theirs. In turn, this makes them feel better about working where they work and maybe, just maybe, for a split second, their happiness levels will rise.

You asking me to stop posting such threads, however, makes everyone think that I might actually do so. This makes them sad.

Don't worry everyone. I won't stop.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is in the U.S. I'd like to come to work for you. This kind of stuff is pretty standard somewhere like Sweden for example. Seriously, five weeks paid vacation mandated by the government. Nutso.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
You just need to get a job at a place that manufactures stuff. Or even Lockheed in our area (I think Lockheed shuts down). It's pretty standard for a lot of these places to just shut down for as much as 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year's.

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get Friday off, but I do have to work all those crazy quasi holidays when our fine mail carriers do not; MLK, Veterans, Columbus etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I.

MLK: "You're not black."
Veteran's: "You're not a veteran... nor is anyone in your immediate family."
Columbus: "Columbus day? HAH! This isn't an elementary school. What real business closes on Columbus day?"

11-21-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You see, my whining serves everyone a purpose, unlike yours.

With every work-whine thread I post, everyone can see how much my boss sucks, i.e., more than theirs. In turn, this makes them feel better about working where they work and maybe, just maybe, for a split second, their happiness levels will rise.

You asking me to stop posting such threads, however, makes everyone think that I might actually do so. This makes them sad.

Don't worry everyone. I won't stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i didn't ask you to stop for this very reason. I just pointed out the repetitiveness to make myself feel even better about it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
11-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Warik I'm pretty sure you're a slave.

IndieMatty
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
It's a half day here. No big deal, a lot of people bring their kids in.

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually i didn't ask you to stop for this very reason. I just pointed out the repetitiveness to make myself feel even better about it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Look into my eyes.

Listen to the sound of my voice.

Nothing exists... except my eyes and the sound of my voice.

You are getting sleepy.

Very sleepy.

Your eyelids are feeling heavy.

You cannot possibly remain awake.

NOW GO TAKE A NAP IN YOUR AVATAR!!!
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3167/loneliness9ie.jpg

Warik
11-21-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Warik I'm pretty sure you're a slave.

[/ QUOTE ]

A slave to my own stupidity. A month of unemployment would be the equivalent of a mosquito bite to me, and it would definitely take me less time to find a better job.

wtf am I still doing here?

BottlesOf
11-21-2005, 06:31 PM
You got pragged plain and simple. That day is a no work day.

utmt40
11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I do.

wayabvpar
11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
My wife will be shopping all day, so I am left with a glorious day of leftovers and multitabling. Woohoo!

TJSWAN
11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work for a bank, and banks cannot be closed for more than three consecutive days. Even though I don't work in the branch part of the bank, I'll be here to man the fort for everyone else taking that day off. Look for some serious OOT activity from me on that day. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job at a credit union and then enjoy the 4 day weekend. That was my gig for 6 years. Now I work for a small broker office and we close too.

Tim

PS my apologies to the 14% who've said they have to work.

RacersEdge
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Where is "It's not a hoiliday, so I take it as a vacation/personal day?" That's probably the 2nd most common.

slickpoppa
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Is anything stopping you from using a personal day?

WDC
11-21-2005, 07:28 PM
It's a paid day off for me but I will be in for 1/2 the day anyway. It's my annual office cleaning day.

BWebb
11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
I work for a bank and by law we have to be open. I could take it off if I wanted to, but it is a very cake day and don't mind too much.

Supersetoy
11-21-2005, 07:42 PM
How about I was given the option to work, and if I did I would earn time and a half here, on top of my normal wages (paid normally if I don't show up, and paid 2.5 X normal if I do show up)

I can come and go as I please that day, plan on doing a 10-2 shift, raking in $58/hour (pre-tax while I'm working).

AndysDaddy
11-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Working for a consulting firm, I get paid for hours I bill, with a few exceptions (I do get 8 paid hours for Thursday). I checked "my boss sucks...", but I have no problem with this - I can work or not work - almost at my leisure - and I'm willing to forego some of the perks I had when I worked on a salary.
--
Scott

ozyman
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Not only do I have to work the day after Thanksgiving but the CEO of the company who makes $50 million a year makes a point wander through the company (about 200 people) to make a list of the people who aren't in. He likes to call it "bed check day".

Paluka
11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
I work, but only for half a day. The stock market is open for some unknown reason.

whiskeytown
11-21-2005, 09:03 PM
I will be working - we're staffed 7x24 - 365 days a year.

To make up for that, we get 6 floating holidays we can take whenever - all in all, counting those, sick days, and a generous vacation time, I get 6 weeks off a year.

So I can handle working Thanksgiving - I can't cook worth a damn and the office is buying us dinner anyways. Plus it's always real quiet in the NOC - both Thanksgiving and the day afterwards.

RB

nomadtla
11-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I work in the Theater buisness and Thanksgiving, the Friday after, and Christmas day are our busiest day. Haven't had any of those days off since 2001. I didn't get paid extra because Carmike Cinemas sucks a**. However this year I work at an independent theater and while we still will open for those days I get time and a half for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I will be working both from open (11:30 AM to close (around 12:30 AM)

smb394
11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
I work in mutual fund accounting. Since the banks/markets will be open (at least on Weds.), we have to work. Maybe 10-20% of the staff are allowed out of the office on any given day. And those who are there have to cover others' work.

11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf am I still doing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whining.

Drew16
11-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, and also thanksgiving day and christmas eve and christmas day and new years eve and new years day.

Warik
11-22-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is anything stopping you from using a personal day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My boss.

Anybody who takes the day off does so without pay, thus sayeth the lord.

Nevermind my countless hours of unpaid overtime and my 10 vacation days and 8 sick days remaining.

Warik
11-22-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To make up for that, we get 6 floating holidays we can take whenever - all in all, counting those, sick days, and a generous vacation time, I get 6 weeks off a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can count the number of non-vacation days I have off per year on one hand.

New Years, Memorial Day, the 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

wheeeee