PDA

View Full Version : Ax, how do you make this play?

HUSKER'66
06-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Greetings fellow posters! I know that this question has probably been run into the ground, but I was wondering how many of you handle Ax. I know this is a very broad question; but please don't give me the standard,"it depends". Let's say your playing in the typical low limit game online, have the scenario of a mixture of 1 or two solid players (counting you /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) maybe a loose aggresive type to your left, and the rest a mix of no fold 'em calling stations and weak passive types. How many of you out there play this hand if it has been checked to you and your the first in with 4/5 to call after you. Do you raise with this hand and be aggressive? Limp in and hope to see the flop cheaply? Or just check/fold to any bet? I have had a problem with this hand recently, and hope that some of you out there could give me your insight/advice.

Al Mirpuri
06-30-2003, 01:14 PM
I take it this is Hold'em. [You would have done better to post it on one of the Hold'em forums.]

At a full table Ax is unplayable. Ax suited is played in a loose game - the hope being you are going to flop a flush draw even a straight draw. However, hitting the Ace is going to be no good as someone probably has an Ace with a higher kicker. Ax is playable short-handed but you still have to worry about Aces with higher kickers.

Dynasty
06-30-2003, 01:36 PM
With 4 or 5 players behind you, A9o and worse aces are automatic folds pre-flop.

DiamondDave
06-30-2003, 02:48 PM
...given the fine college education you recieved. Maybe the Texas air is getting to you.

At a full table - *especially* if your opponents are going to see the flop no matter what you do - offsuit aces worse than AJo are automatic folds. The only exception would be if everyone passes and you're in late position (but this hardly ever happens in low-limit games).

- /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (UN-L class of '99)

HUSKER'66
06-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Al, sorry for not setting this up properly, you have my humble apologies. Yes it was a question about hold 'em, and your suggestion not to post it here, but under the "hold 'em" section has been duly noted. Thanks for offering your opinions/suggestions toward the end.

HUSKER'66
06-30-2003, 03:06 PM

HUSKER'66
06-30-2003, 03:20 PM
DiamondD, Thanks for your response. Your right,I should know better! And yes, the Texas heat can be unbearable. I was just curious if anyone is playing this type hand and under what circumstances. I routinely muck these holdings, I just wanted to hear the opinions of other 2+2'ers. Husker from '99 eh? I was born in Omaha and will always be a Husker, but I graduated from TCU here in Fort Worth.....(quite a bit earlier than '99) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Net Warrior
07-01-2003, 06:09 PM
I play ATo only on the Bu. I never, never, never play Axo.

That being said, recently I started playing Axo for 1/2 bet in the SB if I was getting 9:1 or better and have had some interesting results. Just make sure you throw this hand away if you encounter any resistance.